View Full Version : Panasonic AG-HMC 171 EJ

Marius Tatarasanu
May 28th, 2012, 06:38 AM
I have a question about this camera, because I had difficulties finding information about it. Does anybody have an electronic manual for it?
And if there are any owners here, I have a more specific question:
The camera records on a SD card. Each sequence means one file. Is there a option for pausing the video?
I want to record a big file with all of the small sequences in it. It is very difficult to work with 100 different files, especially when following the timecoder, which is rendered almost useless.
Is there an option for pausing the recording to record one big file instead of many small ones?

Chris Harding
May 28th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Hi Marius

I have owned most of the range and I have never heard of the HMC170..Panny had an HMC70, 72 and 73 but the only 170 is the HPX170 which is a DVCPro camera and shoots onto P2 cards.

Maybe check the model number or post an image???

All the AVCCAM models will create a new clip if you push the record button a second time so the camera goes into pause/record ..when you record again it will create a new clip number so the only real way is to keep rolling..just bear in mind that once the 4GB limit is reached the camera will still create a second clip anyway.

Chris

Marius Tatarasanu
May 28th, 2012, 07:23 AM
It's the 151, sorry about that. I really hoped there is some sort of function hidden in it's menus.
I'm used to recording on tape, so dealing with hundreds of different clips is quite of a hassle.

Chris Harding
May 28th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Hi Marius

As far as I know that's the way it works so you do need to live with it... if timecode is important just add it on the NLE timeline. When I changed from tape to card (HMC70's) I also had to get used to the camera producing a new clip every time you pause!!

You have to learn to shoot slightly differently and avoid doing very short sequences like you can do on tape. If I have a series of short shots to do (like going around guest tables at a wedding) I will film the first table and then instead of pausing, I point the camera at the floor and walk to the next table, leaving the cam running so I end up with just one clip for say, 15 table shots ..it's easy to edit too!!

Chris

Vaughan Wood
May 30th, 2012, 06:17 PM
.....(to Chris)

and sometimes the floor is more interesting than the guests!!!! (LOL).

Cheers,

Vaughan

Chris Harding
May 30th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Especially drunk guests!! When I started using AVCCAM's I tended to shoot the same way as I did on MiniDV and at wedding going around 20 guest tables suddenly resulted in 20 extra clips!! I think the first wedding I shot on my HMC72's back in 2009 the "B" Cam amassed over 200 clips!!

I have learnt since those days not to be so handy with the record pause button but the trick of tilting the camera towards the ground/floor/carpet makes editing a LOT easier..I just use the jog wheel on my Shuttle Pro and frame advance until the picture starts to dip downwards then back it up a few frames and cut. Yeah I suppose I have quite a lot of raw footage of wedding reception carpets.

Using a card system just means you need to modify your shooting techniques a bit..especially where you are doing short sequences...I do much the same when I do the bride's video guestbook during pre-dinner drinks...got a lot of footage of peoples footwear as I move around looking for a likely victim!!

Chris