View Full Version : Rallying

Ryan Jones
May 31st, 2012, 05:36 AM
Hey all.

Some clips I shot on the weekend using my NX5. My first real shoot with it, still getting the hang of it. Also had to shoot and edit in an unfamiliar format/workflow to fit in with the TV guys.

Michael Boaden wins the 4WD category of 2012 Brakes Direct International Rally of Queensland - YouTube
Mick Patton interview after winning Premier League - 2012 Brakes Direct IROQ - YouTube
Helen Cheers interview after winning the 2012 Brakes Direct IROQ - YouTube
Tony Sullens interview after Leg 2 - 2012 Brakes Direct IROQ - YouTube
Tom Wilde interview after Leg 2 - 2012 Brakes Direct IROQ - YouTube
Steven Mackenzie interview after Leg 2 - 2012 Brakes Direct IROQ - YouTube
Mike Bailey interview after Leg 2 - 2012 Brakes Direct IROQ - YouTube
Mark Pedder interview after Leg 2 - 2012 Brakes Direct IROQ - YouTube
Eli Evans interview after Leg 2 - 2012 Brakes Direct IROQ - YouTube
Dan Day interview after Leg 2 - 2012 Brakes Direct IROQ - YouTube
Brett Middleton interview after Leg 2 - 2012 Brakes Direct IROQ - YouTube

Been a while since I shot that kind of subject material, so if anyone has any suggestions or feedback feel free to shoot it through!

Alister Chapman
June 2nd, 2012, 02:08 AM
The problem with handy cams in general is you end up shooting from below eye height so your almost always looking up at your subject in a stand up interview. As a result the un interesting and problematically bright sky tends to dominate the shot. Get the camera up to at least eye height and the shot becomes much more interesting as you can see whats going on in the background and exposure becomes easier. It's also a more pleasing shot to look eye to eye with someone rather than up the interviewees nose.

Ryan Jones
June 2nd, 2012, 06:58 AM
Good point, thanks Alister. I'm looking at getting a decent shoulder rig which should fix this, as the camera will be properly propped up.

Thanks for the feedback.