View Full Version : New 7D Firmware vers_2 announced

Mark Dobson
June 9th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Well at last! - Audio control for the 7D together with other significant firmware improvements.

Note from Admin: Official as of Jun. 27th. See link below.

New Firmware Enhances Functionality of Canon EOS 7D at DVInfo.net (http://www.dvinfo.net/news/new-firmware-enhances-functionality-of-canon-eos-7d.html)

Andy Wilkinson
June 9th, 2012, 02:47 AM
Nice. Pity there was no mention of lifting the 12 min (approx.) file length for video. I'll take what I can get so let's hope this gets confirmed and becomes available soon.

Lee Mullen
June 10th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Is magic lantern available for the 7D?

Daniel Epstein
June 10th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Magic Lantern hasn't been available for the 7D in the past. Haven't seen the news which say it is despite some google searches for this post.

Andy Young
June 11th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Does anyone have any idea when this might actually be released? I did some searching, but there's not much to go on.

Chris Medico
June 11th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Canon is really good at keeping those things quiet till they decide to let everyone know.

Don't expect to hear much real into till just before it is released.

Jon Fairhurst
June 11th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I think this points to a new strategy for Canon - and shows that a 7D2 is probably not right around the corner.

Note that the 5D3 has eliminated moire and is manual focus only. The T4i still has moire, but adds autofocus in Movie mode and has a touchscreen.

I'm thinking that Canon sees the 7D and 5D lines as professional video DSLRs, while the lower cost models are consumer video DSLRs. With that strategy in mind - and knowing that the 7D2 will take a while - we get the 7D firmware update to at least put the 7D on equal footing with the less expensive cams.

If the 7D2 (whenever it arrives) is moire-free and the less expensive models continue to alias, it would confirm the multi-tier strategy.

It always struck me wrong that the cheaper cameras could do manual audio while the 1D4 and 7D couldn't. Looks like that will be remedied soon.

If my theory holds true, we might start to see more pro features like zebras on the 7D and 5D lines while the less expensive cams will get more and more auto features and simplification. It makes sense to me anyway!

Marty Hudzik
June 12th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Assuming we get manual audio controls on the 7D, how do we go about monitoring what it is recording without a headphone jack? Or am I missing something. I've had my 7d for 2 years and always use a Zoom H4n for audio but would consider the onboard recorder sometimes if I could monitor the audio.

Lee Mullen
June 13th, 2012, 04:50 AM
70D around the corner?

Andy Young
June 13th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Assuming we get manual audio controls on the 7D, how do we go about monitoring what it is recording without a headphone jack? Or am I missing something. I've had my 7d for 2 years and always use a Zoom H4n for audio but would consider the onboard recorder sometimes if I could monitor the audio.

I've had good luck with using a simple headphone splitter out of the H4N. One jack is used for headphones and the other is for running to the camera. You are still using the Zoom for your audio interface, but you wouldn't necessarily have to record anything on the Zoom. You would just be relying on the manually set audio in the camera.

Marty Hudzik
June 13th, 2012, 07:08 AM
I've had good luck with using a simple headphone splitter out of the H4N. One jack is used for headphones and the other is for running to the camera. You are still using the Zoom for your audio interface, but you wouldn't necessarily have to record anything on the Zoom. You would just be relying on the manually set audio in the camera.

The only issue I have had with things like this in the past is that sometimes a weird low level hum or buzz gets introduced in the line and it is not visible on the meters. If I cannot actually hear what it being recorded to the 7d, it would be hard to feel confident that the audio is usable, other than as a sync track.

Ron Little
June 13th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Hopefully, they will add an on screen audio meter.

Jerry Porter
June 13th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Taging for updates when it happens

Marty Hudzik
June 13th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Hopefully, they will add an on screen audio meter.

I guess I was assuming that meters would be added. It's nice to have the ability to change levels but with no headphone jack and no meters wouldn't it be practically useless?

Bruce S. Yarock
June 14th, 2012, 07:51 AM
What about the option to shoot in 25p ( pal) is there a firmware update for that yet?
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Productions (http://www.yarockvideo.com)

Andy Wilkinson
June 14th, 2012, 08:02 AM
"What about the option to shoot in 25p ( pal) is there a firmware update for that yet?"

Bruce, in answer to your question shooting in PAL or NTSC frame rates has been in the original 7D firmware from day 1. If you select PAL as the video format then 1080p25 and 720p50 options become available.

Bruce S. Yarock
June 14th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks, Andy. I didn't even notice. I've been shooting more with the Sony FS100, lately, and totally forgot that there was an option on the 7d!
Before getting your reply, I spoke to two "experts" at BH ( where I've spent many thousands of dollars, and neither of them knew the answer.
Thank god for dvinfo....
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Productions (http://www.yarockvideo.com)

Andy Wilkinson
June 14th, 2012, 08:11 AM
No problem Bruce! The funny thing is you currently CANNOT shoot 25p on the new $15,000 EOS 1D Digital Cinema Canon SLR...weird or what!

John Richard
June 26th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Any signs of this possibly important firmware?

Andy Wilkinson
June 26th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Funnily enough I looked for it today on the Canon UK website but all I could find was 1.2.5 so I guess it's not out yet.

Chris Hurd
June 27th, 2012, 10:15 PM
It's official now:

See New Firmware Enhances Functionality of Canon EOS 7D at DVInfo.net (http://www.dvinfo.net/news/new-firmware-enhances-functionality-of-canon-eos-7d.html)

Per Johan Naesje
June 28th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the official news, Chris! This will make my 7D a extended life. But I just wonder why they have to wait until August before releasing this update?

Jon Onstot
June 28th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the official news, Chris! This will make my 7D a extended life. But I just wonder why they have to wait until August before releasing this update?
My guess is that they realized they had nothing to lose once the announcement had been accidentally released earlier. They also may have been encouraged by the generally supportive comments on forums such as this (and apparently ignored the legions of whiners and trolls that this topic has spawned. Good for them).

Bill Koehler
June 29th, 2012, 08:49 AM

They may still be testing, but their confidence level is high.
They may also be preparing their server network.
They know their servers are going to get hammered when the update becomes available.

Al Bergstein
June 30th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Fabulous news. I wonder if the gps can be used with the xf100 & 300 also? That would be sweet,

This is what being customer focused is all about. The audio nhancement is huge.

Ron Little
July 3rd, 2012, 07:46 AM
As a 7d owner I have always felt like I was cheated. I bought the 7d when it was the only real option to the 5d. It was getting rave reviews in the magazines. Just after I bought mine the t2i came out, then the hack for the 5d then the t2i. Then the news that there would be no hack for the 7d. Now I was feeling left out and thinking about selling the 7d. The 7d took good pictures so I decided to keep it for that. Since I do not take many pictures (I am a videographer) the 7d got put on the shelf and not rally used. Then the 60d came out and then the t3i and then the t4i in the back of my mind I am thinking I should sell the 7d. Now the news that the firmware update could make it more usable by giving me control of the audio and I am thinking this could make the 7d more desirable to film makers. So as soon as this firmware update is out I am going to unload this stinking dead fish!

Chris Medico
July 3rd, 2012, 08:33 AM
As a 7d owner I have always felt like I was cheated. I bought the 7d when it was the only real option to the 5d. It was getting rave reviews in the magazines. Just after I bought mine the t2i came out, then the hack for the 5d then the t2i. Then the news that there would be no hack for the 7d. Now I was feeling left out and thinking about selling the 7d. The 7d took good pictures so I decided to keep it for that. Since I do not take many pictures (I am a videographer) the 7d got put on the shelf and not rally used. Then the 60d came out and then the t3i and then the t4i in the back of my mind I am thinking I should sell the 7d. Now the news that the firmware update could make it more usable by giving me control of the audio and I am thinking this could make the 7d more desirable to film makers. So as soon as this firmware update is out I am going to unload this stinking dead fish!

It should be a pretty simple decision. If its not the right tool for your work then it is absolutely time to sell it and move on.

Ron Little
July 3rd, 2012, 02:34 PM
Chris, you are right. I should have sold it right away but I kept hoping for the hack or update. Since I had a good video camera I was able to work without the 7d but, I am over the DSLR thing now and am looking at a Sony fs100 or 700 depending on what the budget will bear. Something I did not mention was that I kept buying accessaries trying to turn it into a movie camera. And I did make some nice video with it I just never felt comfortable enough to use it on the job. Although I have to admit that if I did not have to record separate audio that may make it more usable. I have a lot invested in lenses, follow focus, audio, rails, and external monitor. Who knows maybe I will give it one more try after the firmware update.

Jon Fairhurst
July 3rd, 2012, 03:10 PM
With the firmware update and the VAF-7D anti-aliasing filter, the 7D will soon be the most viable crop DSLR solution out there.

VAF-7D Optical Anti-Aliasing Filter (http://www.mosaicengineering.com/products/vaf/41-vaf7d-main.html)

for now...

Ron Little
July 3rd, 2012, 03:56 PM
Jon, that is a very interesting filter. I think I will hold on a little longer.

Jon Fairhurst
July 3rd, 2012, 05:27 PM
I've got the VAF-5D2. It's a pain to remove/replace when going between stills and movies, but it looks really good. (It's not difficult to do, but who wants their camera open to the elements for more than a second or two when on location?)

On the 5D2, the image gets too soft beyond 28mm, but the word on the 7D version is that you can go as wide as 10mm with good results.

Given that the T4i apparently still aliases, this filter looks like a nice way to go.

Ron Little
July 3rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
Wow, I am getting excited. It is starting to look like my new camera is going to be the camera I already have.

Ron Little
July 5th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I forgot about the over heating problem. I hope they can do something about that also.

John Richard
July 5th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Is it my imagination, or does the anti-aliasing filter change the blacks - seems to make the blacks go milky and washed out in the without filter and with filter on their website.

Of course that could be fixed in post ... and a website photo is not the best avenue to judge the device.

Anyone with experience with the filter for the 5D have a comment?

Jon Fairhurst
July 9th, 2012, 11:53 AM
It's an additional piece of glass, so there will be a small amount of diffusion which will lift the blacks. In practice, I haven't noticed it. I expose as needed, use the Picture Style that is appropriate, and grade as needed. It hasn't caused any difficulty at all.

One could increase the contrast in the Picture Style if they wanted to push the blacks down to avoid post work. That said, many people seek low contrast, so the lifted blacks could be an advantage.

I haven't measured the blacks with and without the filter. In practice, I just expose to the scene in the same way that I always have.

Ron Little
August 1st, 2012, 12:24 PM
When will this firmware be available? I am rigging my 7D to use while my Sony is in the shop, and I need the audio

Burk Webb
August 2nd, 2012, 01:34 PM
I'm with Ron. Looking on the Canon site and can only find firmware version 1.2.5

Would really love to get my paws on that manual audio.

Jerry Porter
August 10th, 2012, 07:18 AM
It's on the site now for download.