View Full Version : Go Pro cameras

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Renton Maclachlan
July 29th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Hi Chris

A lot of GoPro ski footage on youtube is really boring even though they may have interesting angles...a bit like watching grass grow. That's why I've got different angles...and since getting home yesterday have found another couple I could have done!! I use a helmet and have put two of the curved mounts on it...Also got a painting roller handle and put the tripod mount on the end so my son in laws could zip down alongside and get some interesting footage using that. (A GoPro on a painting pole - or monopod - could be used at weddings usefully also I imagine.)

One of the best skiing videos I've seen, a guy (apparently got killed in an avalanche some time later) had about eight of them on him as he skied an extreme slope. Another one, some guys intentionally started an avalanche above a huge cliff, skied on it over the cliff then pulled parachutes they had on...and turned back to film the avalanche barrelling off the edge...

Renton Maclachlan
July 29th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Yeah I kept by base plate as well..not quite sure what to use it on at the moment but it is very neat if you simply want to film from any flat surface...it sits and the feet grip nicely on my dining table as well as my coffee table so if you wanted to capture casual footage in a room it would be a useful mount.Mine didn't have feet...snif snif...

Renton Maclachlan
July 30th, 2012, 01:56 PM
What are the best options (format, size etc) to use to post videos here?

Renton Maclachlan
July 30th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Here's my little skiing video with my Go Pro...

GoPro at Cardrona Skiing - YouTube (http://youtu.be/x5BpXsCEDU4)

Katie Fasel
August 1st, 2012, 07:32 AM
Testing out a Go Pro this weekend for the first time. Really looking forward to seeing what we come up with!

Evan Bourcier
August 1st, 2012, 10:46 AM
I got a GoPro a week or two ago now, I really like it! Haven't had a ton of time to use it yet, but definitely will soon. I just found out I might be attaching a few to some boats soon, anyone have experience with sticking one right at water level on a boat so it'll go over/under water as the boat turns? not sure I trust the suction cup entirely, might make a modified plate or something.

I used it in a band promo video, put it on a box in the back corner of the stage, it unfortunately was low on battery and died after about 15 seconds but I was able to use a little bit of it, it's at 0:43 and 0:52

Phone Calls From Home - Warped Tour 2012 - YouTube

I think it mixed pretty well, I was lazy and actually color corrected it exactly the same as the rest of the footage. For any of us we could tell it's something different, but I don't think your average viewer would think it looks bad or anything.

Renton Maclachlan
August 1st, 2012, 02:08 PM
Depends how fast the boat goes...and I wouldn't do it without tying it on so you don't lose it if it does fall off...

Evan Bourcier
August 1st, 2012, 02:43 PM
I was thinking that, is there a generally accepted fail-safe leash technique to use? some kind of rope running inside to a solid part of the boat.

Right now I think it'll be college rowing boats, but might extend to some other stuff if the footage looks good.

Renton Maclachlan
August 1st, 2012, 03:10 PM
I don't think rowing boats would be a problem. With the suction cup you have to make sure the suction cup is on a smooth surface. I just used it on the front of a snow ski but found the surface of the ski was a bit rough. I sanded where the suction cup was to go with very fine wet and dry emery paper and tied it on with fine nylon rope just in case...but it stuck like crazy even though it was really banging around. I'd read about them falling of skis but it seems to me they didn't check the surface they put it on. They can supposedly stand up to 250mph on the wing of a plane...

Re the rope, just buy fine nylon braded rope and tie back to anything suitable...

Ian Slessor
February 5th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Hey Gang,

Still shooting SD with my DVX100s...yeah, I know, next year. :)

Anyway, shooting a ton of figure skating this year and was thinking of the GoPro 3 for a nice, centered, wide angle shot just over the glass on the parent's side. Staff won't remove glass from the boards so I can get clean shots so I was thinking this was a workaround :(

Would the GoPro, mounted on top of the glass, or at, say, head level on the ice side of the glass work for a nice 3rd cam? And I can crop from the 1080 to SD for tighter framing if needed?

Thanks for listening.

sincerely,

ian

Daniel Latimer
February 5th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Hey Gang,

Still shooting SD with my DVX100s...yeah, I know, next year. :)

Anyway, shooting a ton of figure skating this year and was thinking of the GoPro 3 for a nice, centered, wide angle shot just over the glass on the parent's side. Staff won't remove glass from the boards so I can get clean shots so I was thinking this was a workaround :(

Would the GoPro, mounted on top of the glass, or at, say, head level on the ice side of the glass work for a nice 3rd cam? And I can crop from the 1080 to SD for tighter framing if needed?

Thanks for listening.

sincerely,

ian

If you're using the GoPro 3 black edition you can shoot at 2.7K and crop it way down (especially to SD) without losing resolution.

Peter Riding
February 5th, 2013, 11:14 AM
It would work but I suspect you could be fighting fogging in the scenario you've described. What a lot of users do is get the Skeleton case instead of the standard one to allow more air circulation. Some go further and drill more holes in the case and even remove the lens protector on the front of the case. There are also anti-fog inserts plus some users put tear-offs of tissue in the case. You should ask on a dedicated gopro forum as there are bound to be users who do exactly what you want.

Pete

Ian Slessor
February 5th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Daniel, Peter.

Thanks for the info.

Greatly appreciated.

ian