View Full Version : Authoring a Wedding video DVD

Evan Bourcier
June 20th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Hey guys, sorry if this is a duplicate thread, I did some searching and found a bunch of confusing information :\ I'm shooting a wedding video next week, and have never made a DVD to play in a DVD player before. I haven't talked to them yet about this, but I wanted all the info before I did haha.

I'll be shooting on 2 canon t3is, and editing in Premiere Pro CS5.5. I was planning on using the same custom CDs I use for photography, which I'm very happy with by the way. MpixPro :: Custom Printed DVD's (http://www.mpixpro.com/Catalog.aspx/customprinteddvd) They are -R, which seems to be the consensus as best one to use for DVDs. I don't even really want menus or anything, I just have an engagement video and the wedding video to put on there, if I could put both on and have them auto play that'd be awesome, but if there's a good non-cheesy-easy menu solution I'm down for that as well.

Is it possible to make a 1080 dvd? most of what I've seen is 720 so far. Also, if it matters I'm shooting 24fps mainly, 60 for some stuff I plan on slowing down. The premiere project settings I've been using are the DSLR 24fps ones.

EDIT: I also have Encore, I've never used it though and didn't even realize thats what it did until today haha. it came with the package I got.

Thanks a bunch guys!
Evan

Taky Cheung
June 21st, 2012, 01:57 PM
DVD-Video is always standard definition. For those DVD movie disk playable on settop DVD player, they are SD always.

I put together a blog post with links with templates to download. Take a look :)

Professional DVD and BluRay Production at Home | L.A. Color Online Blog (http://lacoloronline.com/blog/?10199-Professional-DVD-and-BluRay-Production-at-Home)

Evan Bourcier
June 21st, 2012, 02:02 PM
Hey! That's some good info, I was more specifically looking for the steps involved from the time I export the video from premiere to the time it plays in a DVD player. Can I just make a SD .mpeg copy, burn that on a DVD, and have it auto play or something? Or do I need to setup some more complicated in between steps? Is there an optimal export setting in Premiere for this? Do I need to use encore?

Thanks,
Evan

Taky Cheung
June 21st, 2012, 02:27 PM
Depends on what you need for the output deliverables.

You can just burn a bunch of SD MPEG-2 files (within the DVD spec) and burn a "Data DVD". Many settop DVD players now can just show you a generic menu with file names and then you can select and play. But that's completely depends on the DVD player. Some older players wont' have this capability.

If you need DVD with menu and navgiation, then you will need Encore to author a DVD. I learned how to use Encore by reading F1 help. Believe me, all the steps are there :)

The good thing with encore is, once you authored, you can export the same output to BluRay (HD of course), or a Flash movie playback with computer browser (can be SD and HD).

I have done that part and have the entire wedding DVD online. If you are interested, email me and I'll send you the link.

Evan Bourcier
June 25th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Hey, still figuring this out. I bought a few DVD-Rs from best buy today, and I want to do a test burn. I have some premiere pro files ready to be exported, could someone run me through the process with the least steps to have it play in a DVD player?

Thanks,
Evan

Taky Cheung
June 25th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Encore F1 Help is actually very helpful. I learned the authoring process from reading the HELP menu in Encore.