View Full Version : Import old Media Composer 4 project into New Media Composer 6

Ed Mohar
June 21st, 2012, 03:13 PM
Hello,

We have a Media Composer 4 system that we have been using for awhile, has a tonof projects. We just got a new second system with Media Composer 6, and we're trying to open an old project from MC4... we placed it in the directory where the MC6 system looks for projects, but it wouldn't load in. We also tried to open the bins in a MC6 project, but it errored out...

Am I missing a step to bring old projects into a new Media Composer version?

Thanks for your help!

Mike Poglitsch
April 25th, 2013, 09:13 AM
If memory serves me, they changed where projects are archived in one of the revisions. You might be dealing with this issue. In MC6, make a new project and call it something crazy. Then use search on the computer to see where it stores the project. Grab the project in the MC4 System and place it in the MC6 folder you just discovered in search [make sure the Avid software is not open when you are doing this].

MC is backwards compatible. I just uploaded a project I did in 2006 into my PC MC 6.032 two days ago with absolutely no problems. When you re-open them it will automatically change the project to an UPDATE file, but there are no editing ramifications, I think its just a "file saving" issue.

For that matter I have a MC 5.53 (XP) system at home that I offline projects and move them to my office 6.032 system (WIN7) with absolutely no issues.