View Full Version : Easier to focus on the mk3 LCD?

Federico Perale
June 27th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Can anyone share their experiences?
I use the mk2 with a z-finder and was wondering if the supposedly much better screen of the mk3 makes it an easier job focusing, because that could be a reason for me to upgrade.

A lot? Unnoticeably?

Thanks
Fed

Charles Newcomb
June 27th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I don't notice any appreciable difference in the MK lll over the MK ll, so I still use my Hoodman CINEMA KIT PRO-Hoodman Corporation (http://www.hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HCKP)

I also use the zoom button, always. After I get focus I flip the Hoodman up and view the shot on the screen.

Charles Newcomb
June 27th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I don't notice any appreciable difference in the MK lll over the MK ll, so I still use my Hoodman CINEMA KIT PRO-Hoodman Corporation (http://www.hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HCKP)

I also use the zoom button, always. After I get focus I flip the Hoodman up and view the shot on the screen.

John Carroll
June 28th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I used to have a 60D which was impossible to focus without using the zoom, but I loved the flipout screen.
The Mark3 is a much better screen, but I do miss my flip-up screen. But same as Charles, I always do a digital zoom in to get a critical focus no matter how good the screen seems to look. Lots of times, even when I have my SmallHD monitor hooked up, I still do a quick zoom in just to be sure. Mostly the focus is right on when using the monitor, but I think it's a good habit to have anyway.

Charles W. Hull
June 28th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Another approach, the MkIII's claim to fame is its new autofocus capability - and it really is really good. With video I use the Quick Mode, and it is easy to move the spot focus point to exactly where you want in the scene - hold the shutter release or the AF button to focus - and there you are, the part of the scene you want in focus is perfectly focused. For me it's much easier and more accurate than manual focus - and I'm not using the Z finder on the MkIII.

John Carroll
June 29th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Nice tip Charles!
The AF button will even work while recording which is nice little bonus... as long as you can cut out the little flutter that happens in post.