View Full Version : DVDA want to recompress footage, why?

Jeff Harper
July 8th, 2012, 03:05 AM
DVDA wants to recompress my 1080 60i (upper field first) footage. It was rendered properly in Vegas and the video clip properties match the project properties in DVDA.

Is the problem because the footage is upper field first?

David Jimerson
July 9th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Is this for Blu-ray or DVD?

Jeff Harper
July 9th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Hi David, bluray.

David Jimerson
July 9th, 2012, 04:25 PM
How big is the file vs. the size of the Blu-ray disc?

Jeff Harper
July 9th, 2012, 04:34 PM
It's only an hour David, much smaller than needed to fit. It's could be double the size and still fit. It's not a size issue, but good thinking.

David Jimerson
July 9th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Well, the length of time doesn't matter so much as the GBs. But if it's smaller than 20 GB, then it shouldn't be an issue.

You rendered using a specific Blu-ray template? MPEG-2?

Jeff Harper
July 9th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Yes, it's 9.98GB, and I rendered using the Bluray template, 18mps. I seem to think I've had this issue before, but only with upper field video clips.

I have burned hundreds of blurays, but usually they are 24p or 720 60p, never an issue with DVDA needing recompressing.

Ron Evans
July 9th, 2012, 06:13 PM
What is the audio ? Does the audio match the preferences ?

Ron Evans

Jeff Harper
July 9th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Hi Ron, yes the audio and video streams are separate, and it's not wanting to recompress the audio, only the video section.

I no longer shoot in 1080 60i, and this is only one of many reasons.

At any rate, the BR disc does appear pretty good after burning, I must admit, so whatever DVDA is doing it's not hurting anything. I just went with it, looks pretty darned good!

Peter Riding
July 10th, 2012, 04:03 AM
I get this for no apparent reason with DVDs. I had thought it was just a bug as I read elsewhere that others were experiencing similar. I go into Optimise Disc, then click on Yes to recompress the video and OK. Then back into Optimise Disc and click on No to not recompress and OK.

That makes the warning go away :- )

Pete

Jeff Harper
July 11th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks Peter I'll try it.