View Full Version : Question about SD card versus Memory Stick

Cliff Stephenson
July 11th, 2012, 03:04 AM
So I've just ordered an FS700 and have a question about media (or more importantly media reliability).

I've been shooting on a pair of EX1Rs for the past 2 years and one of things I love the most is the reliability of the SxS cards. I've never lost a clip or had a glitch in anything I've shot (hundreds and hundreds of hours). I've never felt totally comfortable with SD cards and have worried that there's just a lot of room for error with them. How would those of you with experience rate the reliability of Sony branded Memory Sticks (and specifically the Pro-HG Duo HX line) against the SD cards from Sandisk or Panasonic or even Sony. Is one closer to the reliability of SxS than the other?

Just for clarity, I've also picked up in the past few months an Atmos Samurai HD-SDI with a 256GB SSD drive, so whenever I'll be shooting an interview with a big actor, director, or pretty much anyone, I'd be recording toto both. But for general day to day b-roll where I may end up with 200 hours of footage when it's over that's not always going to work.

Curious about thoughts in this. Thanks.

Todd Sheridan
July 11th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I've shot for years on the EX-1, always using SD cards (via MXR smart card readers). The issue for me was always been cost. A 32gb SxS is still $400, which a 32gb series 10 SD card is about $30.

I've never used memory sticks, and they aren't nearly as costly as SxS cards, but I never really had any major issues using SD cards in all the years I shot on them. I say "major issues", because with earlier firmware on the EX-1, there was occasionally an issue getting the camera to recognize the SD card when I first inserted it in the camera. I would sometimes have to pop it out and put it back in a few times to recognize it. But, once I started shooting, it was always fine. And more importantly, I think this was an issue with the adapters and/or the firmware recognizing 32gb cards more than any sort of failure with the SD cards themselves. I never had an issue with an SD card failing, or losing footage after the shoot.

I've only had my fs700 for a few days, so I can't really say that there is no issue with SD cards in that camera (even though I have had no issues so far).

This obviously isn't any sort of definite answer, but just my thoughts.

Chris Barcellos
July 11th, 2012, 08:31 PM
SD is all that goes in the Sony VG20, and haven't had a single issue with some pretty inexpensive cards over last eight months.