View Full Version : FS700 vs. EX3 noise and low light

Will Thompson
July 17th, 2012, 01:57 PM
How do these cameras compare with regard to noise thresholds and low light performance?

On paper, the EX3 looks like it would be excellent in low light, plus it comes with a fast lens. The FS700 S/N ratio doesn't appear to be published, but I have seen impressive low light tests and read comments suggesting it's still great in low light, even with the slower kit lens, because you can add quite a bit of gain before it gets noisy. I'm also having trouble confirming this, but it appears the EX3 records 10-bit 422 vs. FS700's 8-bit 420, which should put some measurable limitation on grading abilities in post.

Any feedback (pun intended) would be great! Thank you!

Chris Medico
July 17th, 2012, 08:52 PM
The EX3 and EX1 both are 8 bit cameras. They record internally to 35mb XDCam EX which is 8bit MPEG2 4:2:0. They do output 4:2:2 via the SDI if you want to use an external recorder.

The EX1 and EX3 both are not low noise cameras in low light. They work ok at +3db gain but I won't use above that personally for critical work. I'll use +6db if its web or other low-rez output as I can do some noise reduction on down conversion that looks great. Beyond that I will add whatever light I need to use less gain.

In contrast the image from the FS100, or FS700 is quite usable at +18db of gain. Put a fast lens on it and there is no comparison in what they can do versus an EX1 or EX3.

Will Thompson
July 17th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks Chris! This is very helpful.

Felix Steinhardt
July 18th, 2012, 07:50 AM
In the other thread I posted a original MTS from the FS700 going from ISO 400 to ISO 2000

http://www.steinhardtverlag.de/Felix/00005.MTS

Cinegamma 1