View Full Version : Canon USA Announces EOS M Mirrorless APS-C Camera

Pages : [1] 2

Chris Hurd
July 22nd, 2012, 10:38 PM
Full press release and photos located here:

Canon USA Announces The New EOS M Digital Camera at DVInfo.net (http://www.dvinfo.net/news/canon-usa-announces-the-new-eos-m-digital-camera.html)

Some specs...

Product Specifications and Features:

-- EOS Full HD Movie mode with Movie Servo AF for continuous focus tracking of moving subjects also includes:
-- Manual exposure control
-- Multiple resolution frame rates
-- Built-in stereo microphone
-- Manual audio level adjustment
-- Video Snapshot mode with touch-screen editing
-- 18.0-megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
-- ISO 100–6400 (expandable to 12800 in H mode) for video recording, ISO 100–12800 (expandable to 25600 in H mode) for still image shooting from bright to dim light and high performance Powerful DIGIC 5 Image Processor for exceptional image quality video and photos
-- Hybrid CMOS AF delivers fast autofocus speed for video and photos
-- Touch Screen 3.0-inch Clear View LCD monitor II (approximately 1,040,000 dots) with smudge-resistant coating features multi-touch operation allowing photographers to use familiar gestures such as “pinch-to-zoom” and “swiping” to scroll between pictures and Touch AF for an easy and intuitive video capture experience
-- Scene Intelligent Auto mode delivers expertly optimized photos and scene detection for amazing results even when shooting at night
-- Advanced imaging features like Handheld Night Scene mode, HDR Backlight Control mode, and seven Creative Filters provide added versatility
-- Multi-shot Noise Reduction helps preserve precious detail in photos at high ISO speeds
-- Compatible with SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards, including new Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) cards
-- Compatible with all Canon Speedlite accessories including the new Speedlite 600EX and Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT
-- Compatible with Canon’s GPS Receiver GP-E2
-- An Advanced Video Capture Device

More info in the press release linked above...

Chris Hurd
July 22nd, 2012, 10:46 PM
photos updated above...

Here are the official product pages at Canon USA:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_m_ef_m_22mm_stm_kit

Mark Kenfield
July 23rd, 2012, 12:05 AM
I'm stoked that large-sensor cameras are finally moving in this miniaturisation direction, but I don't get why they wouldn't include a couple of manual dials on the camera to offer better manual control.

The NEX-7 seems to 'get' it, hopefully others will follow soon enough.

Chris Hurd
July 23rd, 2012, 12:29 AM
I would have preferred a command mode dial similar to the one used on the Canon PowerShot S100.

There's not a whole lot of real estate left on the body for any other control dials, though.

Chris Soucy
July 23rd, 2012, 12:38 AM
I simply don't get it.

Canon had one of the best SLR's ever made back in the 80's with the A1, yeah, that one.

Why in the heck don't they produce a new digital full frame version, give us the dials back and can the stupid menus, who wants to know about menus? (I hate f^%$@&ng menus)

KISS, guys and gals, yes, KISS, that was what the A1 was about, do it again and you're onto a winner, heck let it take FD lenses, stock, and I'll even buy one, got some corkers in my antique arsenal.

The damn thing doesn't have to pilot itself to Saturn with it's computer power, just give us a camera that simply takes bloody good photos, out of the box and be SIMPLE to operate!

(Oh, and that is infinately customisable without requiring a Phd from Harvard and 25 years at Nasa, would be most convenient).

Maybe I'm asking too much.

Technology for its own sake is not, neccesarilly, progress.

KISS, people. Think, KISS!

CS

Tony Davies-Patrick
July 23rd, 2012, 04:32 AM
It might make a decent underwater camera because it will fit nicely in many smaller housings and also cheaper (quality) housings could be made for it. The camera would also make a nice 'spare' camera that can be mounted at different viewing angles to the main camera.

Does the ISO auto-ride up & down when in Manual mode, or can it be locked at any setting?

I just wish that it was Full Frame sensor so that those wide lenses (such as 22mm) would remain that way....

Lee Mullen
July 23rd, 2012, 05:37 AM
Sorry but this new camera does not inspire me one bit. What on earth is EOS-M? So you also have to buy a canon made adapter to use all your EF lenses?? No thanks. I'll stick with the GH2.

Chris Hurd
July 23rd, 2012, 07:26 AM
Does the ISO auto-ride up & down when in Manual mode, or can it be locked at any setting?

From the CUSA product specifications page (link in post #2 above):

ISO Speed Range for Video: manual Setting range of ISO 100-6400, expandable to ISO 12800

ISO Speed Range for Stills: manual setting range of ISO 100-12800, expansion to ISO 25600

Mark Kenfield
July 23rd, 2012, 08:53 AM
Sorry but this new camera does not inspire me one bit. What on earth is EOS-M? So you also have to buy a canon made adapter to use all your EF lenses?? No thanks. I'll stick with the GH2.

Well the new lens mount is what allows them to make smaller lenses and mount lenses closer to the sensor (because the flange distance is considerably smaller than EF). Without the shorter flange distance, you'd lose much of the 'compactness', and that's kinda the point with mirrorless cameras.

Smaller is better as far as I'm concerned - mainly because it means I actually bother to take the camera out with me more often.

Just give us manual controls please camera gods! All I need to change is Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO and WB.

Chris Hurd
July 23rd, 2012, 09:34 AM
According to the specs page, it has the standard manual (M) and semi-manual (Tv and Av) program modes, in addition to auto with manual override (P) and full auto (A+). I have to assume that "Custom WB" equals manual WB. Manual ISO values as indicated in post #8 above. To me, this little thing could be a handy and compact second or third camera body to add to an existing EOS kit. I'm not crazy about touch-screens but at least it has the ubiquitous omni selector button and wheel array.

Robert Turchick
July 23rd, 2012, 09:37 AM
I'm actually very excited about this camera as mounting a full DSLR in tight spaces or a car is a pain. I'm also glad that I didn't sell my Blackbird! This will be perfect for that application. Wait...it can lock-on and track auto focus in video? Perfect again for Blackbird or jib use! I could care less about having manual controls on a camera like this. My 5D mkIII's give me that and serve a different purpose. This is going to be a great little tool for special uses that the big DSLRs or my XF300 just can't fit!
Screw GoPro and the rest of the POV cams. The only thing I'd like to see sooner than later would be a 10mm STM lens.
As for the photo side, the jpg burst mode (17fps) is about the only thing that would be nice. I do a fair amount of action still work and this would be handy. Also the weight savings would be nice over carrying both of my 5D's around.
I'm all in!

Chris Hurd
July 23rd, 2012, 09:42 AM
I agree, Robert -- if I get one of these, it'll see mostly auto program mode usage... point and shoot. I'll turn to my 5D3 and a 7D if I want manual image control.

Andy Wilkinson
July 23rd, 2012, 09:44 AM
Ditto. Plus another way (with the $199 adapter) to get some great alternate angle shots with the EF and EF-S glass that might otherwise be sitting in my kit bag unused. Ideal for one man operators like me. Sure, it'll be great when we get a "souped up" mirror less model, with more manual controls, dials, probably bigger body etc. - but this is a good start and will be nice and portable for those other times.

Also, I wonder how it'll fly on a Merlin Steadicam with my 10-22mm Canon EF-S on - should be light enough to use all day (unlike my 7D).

UPDATE: Here's a direct link to the official video sample - not my cup of tea but worth a view.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eosm/player_conductor/movie.html?high

Also, I think I read (somewhere, can't find it now!) that it has the 3x and 10x digital zoom function (that they omitted to put on the 5DMkIII), the 3X being the most desirable one of course for video. Scanned the official specs but did not see this feature mentioned - may have missed it as I'm tired. It's been a long hot day here in England. Not said that for a while! I really hope it does have that feature. Can anyone confirm?

Chris Hurd
July 23rd, 2012, 03:45 PM
A couple of hands-on presentations... one in English, the other in Italiano...

Canon EOS M Mirrorless Camera Hands on First Look - YouTube

Canon Eos M hands on - YouTube

Steve Nunez
July 23rd, 2012, 05:04 PM
I'm willing to bet a "pro" version will come out- this is too basic to appeal to prosumers.
Give us mic-in and HDMI out for monitoring and some manual dials and you will have something EOS shooters will want!

Robert Turchick
July 23rd, 2012, 05:11 PM
I'm willing to bet a "pro" version will come out- this is too basic to appeal to prosumers.
Give us mic-in and HDMI out for monitoring and some manual dials and you will have something EOS shooters will want!
From Canon...

Video Out Terminal
(1) Video OUT terminal: NTSC/PAL selectable

(2) mini-HDMI OUT terminal

Mic in would have been nice but is certainly not a deal breaker. To most of us pro shooters, this will be a supplementary camera anyway. I don't even consider full-size DSLR's a main camera.

Chris Hurd
July 23rd, 2012, 05:23 PM
Yes, it would have been nice if that video out terminal -- a standard triple-ring stereo mini jack -- had been a headphone jack instead. Who uses those SD video outputs anymore? Nobody I know. We've been living in an HDMI world for awhile now.

Jay Kavi
July 23rd, 2012, 05:41 PM
Wow, looks sweet. it'll make a great travel cam for when I don't wanna lug around the 5d. Finally Canon!!

Tim Polster
July 23rd, 2012, 07:26 PM
If Canon puts clean HDMI output on this a lot of people are going to scream...including me.

Yes, these cameras will give GoPro cameras a run. A comparison would be interesting once everything is on the market. Although the new mirrorless is quite a bit more money than GoPro.

This is a tough space for Canon to compete for video as the GH2 is so popular and the GH3 is probably not far away. Great to see new camera models.

Charles W. Hull
July 23rd, 2012, 07:46 PM
I have the EFS 17-55 stabilized f/2.8 that's been sitting around waiting for a camera like this. To me it's one of the best Canon zooms, APS-C or not. My difficult question about the EOS M will be what color to get.

Lee Mullen
July 23rd, 2012, 09:17 PM
How does it compare with the Sony RX100 for specs?

Dylan Couper
July 23rd, 2012, 10:46 PM
Why don't you google RX100 specs and report back to us with what you find?

The no mic input is the only thing disappointing to me. That would have been a deal maker.

Andy Wilkinson
July 24th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Damn. I missed that it had no mic input! Seems a waste to give it manual audio level controls just for using with those top mounted stereo holes.

May not be a deal breaker for me, as I would still be using a main cam for the sound capture and just need a reference audio track to help sync the cutaways to.

I guess mic input jack is something they are holding back for the higher price market segment that they will aim a semi-pro variant at, sometime in the future.

Ryan Jones
July 24th, 2012, 06:51 AM
This looks as compact as their point and shoot cams, with more flexibility. Easier to carry around than the 7D.

If its smaller than a GH2, like it looks, I'll be in.

Min Lee
July 24th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Also, I think I read (somewhere, can't find it now!) that it has the 3x and 10x digital zoom function (that they omitted to put on the 5DMkIII), the 3X being the most desirable one of course for video. Scanned the official specs but did not see this feature mentioned - may have missed it as I'm tired. It's been a long hot day here in England. Not said that for a while! I really hope it does have that feature. Can anyone confirm?

I'm also very interested in the 3x crop. The point of these mirrorless cameras are supposed to be small and this would allow you to use a small prime as a telephoto in video. It would seal the deal for me if this camera had this feature.

Also, the camera does have a mic jack.

Edit* Found the 3x here!
http://m.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-m

Andy Wilkinson
July 24th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Excellent news about the mic - thanks Min. Just checked - I'm not tired now - its still blummin hot here thought!

Screen grab below from the official spec page on the Canon site. It clearly states 3.5mm mic jack input so that's now nailed. Yippee!

Now all we need is confirmation on the 3x sensor crop (and less useful 10x crop) in video mode and I'll be getting very interested in getting one with that f2 lens - and the EF/EF-S adapter of course (albeit availability on that is even further off).

I'd want the camera in black of course...they don't do pink with green spots - well not yet!

Jon Fairhurst
July 24th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Add an anti-aliasing filter in the body or EF adapter and it could be very interesting.

I like the idea of having a 24/1.4L, 50/1.2L, and 100/2.8L IS with both a full frame and crop body. That would give an effective lens set of 24, 38.4, 50, 80, 100, and 160mm and enable two camera shoots. But for now, the 7D with VAF is the only crop DSLR that doesn't alias, AFAIK.

Chris Hurd
July 24th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Also, the camera does have a mic jack.

Thank you very much for reporting that! Somehow I missed it when I looked through the specs.

Robert Turchick
July 24th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Thank you very much for reporting that! Somehow I missed it when I looked through the specs.

I think we all missed it! :) or it wasn't in the documents we read!
I'm still curious why there are 2 HDMI ports.
Guesses?

Jon Fairhurst
July 24th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Does it really have two HDMI ports? Or is this just a matter of...

(1) This is the first item.
(2) This is the second item. There are not two second items.

Robert Turchick
July 24th, 2012, 11:43 AM
LOL! Yup...wishful thinking! My bad!

July 24th, 2012, 11:51 AM
That low pass filter is interesting. It will lessen aliasing and sharpness. Ever shoot with a GH2 (no low pass) next to an AF100 (low pass)? GH2 looks sharper.

How about a built in intervalometer?

Chris Hurd
July 25th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I have asked Canon USA and they report there is no intervalometer in the EOS M,.

Min Lee
July 25th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Dpreview shows there's an mini usm socket. What is usm or was it a typo? It looks like mini usb, and if so, are there external intervalometer that plug into usb? Perhaps magic lantern with come to the rescue like with the intervalometer and framerate feature on the 5d.

Also does anyone know if the lcd cuts off when you plug in hdmi? Does it output live audio while recording?

Chris Hurd
July 25th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I can tell you that it is indeed mini-USB. Not sure about your other questions though, sorry.

Meanwhile, there's an excellent write-up here:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/canon-eos-m-1089580/review

Peer Landa
July 26th, 2012, 10:10 AM
How does it compare with the Sony RX100 for specs?

Why don't you google RX100 specs and report back to us with what you find?

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-M-vs-Sony-Cybershot-DSC-RX100

-- peer

Mark Donnell
July 26th, 2012, 02:33 PM
It was both surprising and disappointing to me that this camera only shoots at a maximum of five pics/sec. I have the Sony A-65 translucent mirror camera, and it shoots at 10 pics/sec with a 24 MB APS-C sensor.

Andy Wilkinson
August 2nd, 2012, 08:42 AM
I'm still wondering if this camera shoots the 3x and 10x sensor crop modes in video - or not?

A while back I saw one website (DPReview I think) that mentioned that it has this feature - but I'd be happier if someone who has actually handled one of the pre-production cameras could confirm, especially as this feature is absent from the official specs (at least it wasn't there the last time I looked).

Chris Hurd
August 2nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
Andy -- I'll try to get an answer from CUSA about that.

Meanwhile, here's an interesting overview: Hands-on: Canon EOS M review - Pocket-lint (http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/46625/canon-eos-m-review-hands-on)

Mitch Chapman
August 5th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I'm still wondering if this camera shoots the 3x and 10x sensor crop modes in video - or not?

A while back I saw one website (DPReview I think) that mentioned that it has this feature - but I'd be happier if someone who has actually handled one of the pre-production cameras could confirm, especially as this feature is absent from the official specs (at least it wasn't there the last time I looked).

On the last page of its hands-on preview DPReview says the sensor crop modes are supported. The claim is accompanied by a screenshot from the camera's display, showing an overlay which reads, "Approx. 3-10x telephoto available when recording movies in Full HD".

Andy Wilkinson
August 5th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks! Just had a quick look at that article and sure enough it's there exactly as you state. Looks convincing enough so this is great news! I knew I'd seen something somewhere about this! With my EF-S and EF lenses (via that must have Canon adapter) this will make this little cam very versatile indeed.

Amazed Canon missed mentioning such a useful feature in the initial specs, but I guess they will update the detail as the firmware gets finalised for launch.

Charles W. Hull
October 15th, 2012, 09:45 PM
It's the middle of October - anyone (in the U.S.) have an EOS M yet?

Robert Turchick
October 15th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Nope!
I think a couple of cargo containers are lost somewhere! Lots of stuff I either ordered or put on a wish list was "expected" today. Nothing is in stock!

Min Lee
November 2nd, 2012, 04:14 PM
I just got my EOS m and cannot find the 3-10x digital zoom for video. I could be wrong but I think Canon removed it. I don't have the manual with me but I'll check tonight. Very disappointed if this is the case.

Mitch Chapman
November 4th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Hello Min Lee,

I downloaded the EOS-M instruction manual, hoping it would mention the 3-10x digital zoom. Just as you said, it seems to be gone. That is disappointing...

Andy Wilkinson
November 5th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Well if Canon really did remove this feature that really sucks. I guess their Marketing department figured they would sell more lenses by doing this. Instead they will be selling one less EOS M - as I won't now be buying one!

Min Lee
November 6th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I also found that there's a EOS M product advisory on this feature on the Canon website. The advisory mentions only the T3i but the directory is in the EOS M section:

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS M EF-M 22mm STM Kit (http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_m_ef_m_22mm_stm_kit?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e024802de560)

Just more reason to believe this was an intended feature that was removed. If canon thinks this feature cannibalize their lens sales, then their logic is seriously flawed. People will continue to buy telephoto lenses to shoot stills and will find greater use for their telephoto lenses for video. Removing this feature will just turn more people onto the Panasonic for the Extra Tele Converter mode, which is what I consider doing.

Lee Mullen
November 7th, 2012, 07:36 AM
This guy isnt happy with it at all. Marketing rules technology = FAILURE

Canon EOS M Update and the Panasonic G5 test stills and video - YouTube

Al Bergstein
December 2nd, 2012, 03:11 AM
Well, Failure is an absurd point of view. It's not a failure. I just bought one after playing around with it today. First impressions below.. No images yet, as I want to make sure I'm getting it set right. First impressions of images are very clean, great DOF.

Chris, if you want to start a new thread for it, I'm fine if you want to move my post.

It does have a mic in, no headphone jack (boo). Not sure who is using AV out, I'd rather have a headphone jack. In fact, I think it's the biggest flaw in the camera design. The AV circuitry could likely be replaced with a pre-amp, heck give us a good one while you are at it. The 5D Mkiii seems to have solved the engineering of the pre since it's input sound with an attached mic is very good. Consumer grade video cameras like the Panny TM900 have headphone jacks. So it's not an issue of technology, but engineering.

First impression with the Rode Videomic pro attached and on manual audio levels is that the best for shooting in a quiet kitchen with subject at interview distance of 4 feet or so, was to not pad the Rode, and adjust the volume to about 40 to 50% volume settings. I'm concerned that the internal mics *appear* to be on when the Rode is attached. Need to do more checking on this.It did not seem like it when the camera was recording but when setting the volume levels. Cannot view the volume levels while subject is on screen, need to start shooting in info mode with overlay on screen, not a good thing. That should be solved by a software upgrade. But a design flaw nonetheless.

The M is smaller than I expected. Build quality seems good. Very solid metal feel to it. Heavy like a metal case would feel. Maybe it's just the glass though.

Menus are relatively easy to use in manual mode. INFO Button changes between them. 1st opening screen has simple SS, Fstop, +/- ISO and magnifier. I can get used to that. Push INFO again, no info on screen, Third push you get the quick menu that takes over the screen. Fast adjustments there but no image. Better for getting setup than actually shooting.

Pancake 22mm is ok quality. Manual Focus is a bit funky. Graham is right on the auto focus. The auto focus is too slow, hunts around. I just disabled it. Someone like Graham that is expecting a fast autofocus should not buy this camera. I'm fine with manually focusing. I practically never use autofocus on my 7D and 5D. Guess I'm old school. I just prefer manually focusing my cameras. Having an electronic viewfinder would be great. But do I want a bigger camera for it? Nope. This is a travel camera. If Graham returned it for the Lumix, I think he was not really in the market for a camera of this size. The Lumix is much bigger. I would have understood if he returned for a Sony mirrorless or one of the other mirrorless on the market.

The lack of a digital zoom is not an issue for me. I think that an 18M camera doesn't need one. I can take a raw image and 'digitally zoom' in and probably have better quality than if I did what I've seen manufacturers call digital zoom in the camera. Even likely better quality with video as well. Or is there something I'm missing in that analysis? However, the sensor crop modes do not seem to be showing up in the menus. Perhaps this is something on the zoom lens rather than the pancake? (not sure why that would be).

I would have been ok with a slightly deeper body depth if if it had the reticulated back screen. But it likely wouldn't fit into a coat pocket then. I had an old Nikon digital that had one, and it was too big for coat pockets. This one, is still capable of being thrown into a coat pocket, or worn with strap under a coat.

But I really don't understand who Canon is marketing this to. It's too expensive for the consumer market, doesn't have flash for them, which for consumers is essential (heck I'm worried about not having one, my smaller Elph had one!) and it has hardware specs that pros could use. They should just market it for professionals and high end hobbists, and focus all design on that. Anyone seen the marketing video with a model that seems to be the wrong target market? Silly. They should be marketing with pros talking about the camera that they take when they don't want to carry their 5d or 7d, but want way more control than a smartphone will give them. It's not a "point and shoot". That market is gone to phones. If a GoPro (which I also have one of in my toolkit) is considered "pro" (mainly because of it's fabulous weather sealing) there is no reason this one shouldn't be either for it's DOF, 1080p video, mic in, interchageable Canon glass, etc. Or am I missing something?

But overall, I think it's going to be a nice travel camera that can give me professional results. I'm shooting with a 5D and 7D often, and my old Powershot Elph SD600 (living in a drawer for the last few years), was the last low end travel camera I had (stopped using it a few years back) and took some photos that are still in my professional portfolio. I think this will replace that old unit, and I expect some very good photos from it, along with decent video, when called upon. My hissy Rode Videopro works well with it. It should replace my iPhone which has problems handling bright spots in the frame.

Anyway, I took the plunge. I'll work with it for a month or so, and let you know my impressions. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't think it would work for a small travel camera. I like being able to use my other Canon glass if need be. But I think I'd just swap out for the 7D if I needed my larger lenses. We'll see. More to follow. Questions?

Tony Davies-Patrick
December 3rd, 2012, 11:21 AM
Here is a very interesting Canon EOS M vs. Olympus OM-D E-M5: AF Speed TEST (using rear touch screen) :

Canon EOS M vs. Olympus OM-D E-M5: AF Speed TEST - YouTube