View Full Version : Funeral Video tips?

Darryn Carroll
July 25th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Was thinking of trying the funeral video gig. I mainly shoot weddings but would really like to fill some weekdays with shooting work. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, Rates, marketing, how much to "share" with funeral directors, editing and positioning tips, etc. I understand the delicate matter and would like to be even more unobtrusive as I am at a wedding!

Chip Thome
July 26th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Best $130 you will spend. Everything you asked I think is covered in this book.

They Shoot Funerals, Don't They: Complete Guide to Funeral Video Production & Marketing by Earl Chessher (Paperback) - Lulu (http://www.lulu.com/shop/earl-chessher/they-shoot-funerals-dont-they-complete-guide-to-funeral-video-production-marketing/paperback/product-16255781.html)

Nigel Barker
July 26th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Chip, thanks for the link that looks excellent albeit US-centric.

Darryn Carroll
July 27th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Ordered the book today, thanks.I wonder if any church clergy object to this?

Ben Creighton
August 9th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Couldn't help posting to this thread, because I am probably the only videographer here... who also owns a funeral home!

I shoot funerals all the time of course; I could go on and on about the do's and don'ts. Church services vs. graveside services. Etc. etc., the list goes on and on. I am happy to help with specific questions however, and offer tips. I have a bit of an unfair advantage, but I can still tell you some of my favorite tricks and shots. Always glad to help!

Darryn Carroll
August 9th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks Ben, you may just hear from me! I am about halfway through the book, lots of good info. My most major concern is how some of the attendees will react to me if they do not know I am hired from family.

Ben Creighton
August 9th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Darryn, feel free to message me anytime. I can't say much about the reaction of attendees, however, since I am also the funeral director so people don't really question what I'm doing. But I would suggest you treat it like we all treat weddings - be as unobtrusive as possible. Try to get permission from whoever is in charge; clergy, funeral director, etc. to arrive at the venue at least an hour early to set up. Unlike weddings, we don't have a rehearsal to go to, so it is truly a one chance shoot. Set up your static cam (if you're using one) in an unassuming place, and stay out of view if you run and gun. I usually use a 70-200mm on my DSLR, which allows me to stay back. I set up a zoom recorder at the pulpit as well. If there is going to be a procession to the cemetery, do whatever you can to get there a few minutes early so you can shoot the procession arriving; especially the hearse. Okay, I am starting to ramble! :)

Let me know if you need other info!

Ben

Dave Blackhurst
August 10th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Just had to shoot a memorial service for some family friends - actually was a fairly easy shoot and mix... not sure I'd want to do a lot of them, but not a high stress shoot.

Kevin Walsh
August 14th, 2012, 05:31 AM
Yeah, funerals are very low stress but they can take an emotional toll. I like doing them but I think about them for days after the shoot.

They are certainly not like a weddings where I can't remember what the bride and groom looked like the next morning! LOL