View Full Version : I really like this camera

Olof Ekbergh
July 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Wow the picture is fantastic.

I just started playing with the 700 a bit. Looking at scopes and comparing it to a few other cams (EXcams, Canon 5DmkII, 7D and AF100). Playing with the pic profiles.

I am just starting to come up with a general use file. The PNG in this post is right out of FCPX, with some light grading. The colors are exactly what my eye sees in the room.

I was using a JVC DT HDSDI monitor and a consumer plasma as well as my scopes, to view an grade this profile. I saturated the colors mids a little and pulled the whites down and I crushed the blacks just a touch. From the image on the card. I would think when I use the NanoFlash the results will be even better.

These are very preliminary settings, I will be doing more tests in the coming week. This is just the first rough by eye settings. This is the easiest camera I have had to set up, it just looks really crisp and it is easy to adjust the settings, a good monitor and scopes help.

The scene is very contrasty only natural light coming in from the window, no bounce fill at all, the room is dark no lights on. Only a small part of the white trim on the window (North facing) is actually blown out.

I was also very impressed how easy it was to record super slomo, basically push one button and then shoot (you can pick the speed with the dial), push it again and you are back to normal shooting (after I configured it in the menu to work that way). I will not bore you with shots of Sharyn's karate kicks. But it came out well.

The settings in the camera were:
Black level 0
CineGamma 4
Black Gamma High -7
Knee Manual 95% Slope +2
Color Mode ITU709 Matrix, Level +8
Color Level -4
Color Phase -1
Color Depth R+1 G-1 B0 C-1 M+1 y-1
Detail Level -4

ISO was 640 and I shot 30p FX to the card. The lens is a Canon 24-70 f2.8 L through Metabones adapter, it works flawlessly with no fiddling around, the iris just works like the kit lens, though the steps are a little rougher. I had heard some users having trouble with the Metabones adapter when first attaching the lens. I mounted the adapter to the lens and then mounted on the camera.

I started with profile 6, anything not noted was left as in the stock scene file.

Cees van Kempen
July 30th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks Olof for sharing your PP settings !!