View Full Version : Windjammer xf100

Ann Bens
August 2nd, 2012, 07:05 AM
I ordered a mini windjammer by Rycote especially for the XF100.
Found it very disappointing. It only covers the front part of the audiounit.
Only touching it very slightly the windjammer slips off very easily on one side, making it rather useless.
So I returned the item.
Looking for a alternative. One that maybe covers the whole audiopart, unfortunately it will cover the hotshoe as well. Although won't be needing a windjammer while using xlr.
Its very difficult to find windjammers with measurements as the usually only mention the camera's model.

Wil Vermeesch
August 2nd, 2012, 12:39 PM
I use my jammer from the same manufacturer but the one I also use at my Canon XHA1 camera.
This one fits perfectly over the micro from the XF100

Ann Bens
August 3rd, 2012, 09:24 AM
I have a MikeMuff for my A1 which was actually for my old Sony 2100 and is a tad too small, but it serves it purpose, however it will not fit the xf100.
Do you have a product number by any chance.

Wil Vermeesch
August 3rd, 2012, 11:19 AM
Sorry,I do not know anymore
I think you are Dutch, go to cameratools or cameraland with your camera and let them chech?
Sucess

Michael Fousie
August 3rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
If you have a Zoom h4n foam microphone cover it fits perfectly on the xf100 and works great to stop wind noise. You might give it a try if available.

Ann Bens
August 4th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Wil and Michael thanks for the suggestions, will check them out.

Martin Catt
August 4th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Second the foam cover for the H4N. It fits perfectly on my XF300, and I made a fake-fur "sock" with a drawstring to go over it to cut down the wind noise even more.

Martin

Ann Bens
August 5th, 2012, 04:03 AM
Does the windjammer for the H4N come with a foam lining or just the fur.

Steve Porchet
August 12th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I ordered a mini windjammer by Rycote especially for the XF100.
Found it very disappointing. It only covers the front part of the audiounit.
Only touching it very slightly the windjammer slips off very easily on one side, making it rather useless.
So I returned the item.
Looking for a alternative. One that maybe covers the whole audiopart, unfortunately it will cover the hotshoe as well. Although won't be needing a windjammer while using xlr.
Its very difficult to find windjammers with measurements as the usually only mention the camera's model.

I too purchased the Rycote windjammer for my XF300 and it didn't fit, to say the least. Has anyone come up with an alternative cover for the Xf300?

Sam Young
August 13th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Does the windjammer for the H4N come with a foam lining or just the fur.

The H4N kit only comes with the foam lining, no fur.

Mike Beckett
August 13th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Has anyone contacted Rycote about this for advice? I'm sure they'd be more than happy to offer advice or listen to feedback about the product.

Ann Bens
August 13th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Might not hirt to drop them a line. Wildo.

Mike Ayotte
August 13th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I purcased the Rode Dead Kitten from B&H. It fits fine ,here is a link to an earlier discussion: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-hd-camcorders/506810-fur-windscreen-xf100.html

Ann Bens
August 14th, 2012, 03:31 AM
I dropped Rycote a line:

Dear Ann,
Thank you very much for your email.
Please accept our apologies regarding this issue, I have passed this on to my manager and we are going to look into this problem further.
Once again apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Kind regards,
Rhiannon

Dead Kitten might be a good option or the Rycote Mini Windjammer Extended medium.

Mike Beckett
August 14th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Apart from physical fitting problems, I wouldn't expect too many miracles from windshields that are just lumps of fur (even those with a Rycote badge on them).

And the foam off the Zoom H4n is only really for pops/plosives from speech, it won't do much in any real wind.

Michael Fousie
August 14th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Actually, I've had great luck with nothing but the foam from the H4n on my XF100. It seems to cut the wiind better than the furs I have. I shoot in wind in Zion National Park and on the Oregon Coast on a regular basis with great results. It's worth a try if you have one.

Martin Catt
August 14th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Foam alone, or fur alone doesn't work as well as both of them combined. The foam just provides dead air space for the fur around the microphone. The combination of dead space covered by fur works like a zeppelin, only without the cage-like structure providing the air space.

Typically, the first thing I do for any camera or mic after I've unpacked it and checked it for function is to make a fur windscreen to fit it. If it doesn't have a foam cover, I make or adapt one. I can hand-sew a fitted fur cover in less than an hour, using nothing more than a plain needle and thread, a straightedge, and a Sharpie marker to lay it out. All the covers I've made are a distinctive blonde fur with red tips, because I bought about two yards of it on sale five years ago.

The cover I made for the XF300 fits over the H4N foam cover, and is held in place with a drawstring. Unfortunately, that means the flip-out display has to be stowed with the cover in place. However, when I'm doing documentary work with the on-camera mics, I've got the camera on a shoulder mount and am using the rear viewfinder instead. If somebody wants to see a take played back, I just pop the windscreen off, flip out the viewfinder, and press Play. The cover goes back on in five seconds.

I suppose with a little creative stitchery and some velcro it would be possible to make a windscreen that allows the flip-out to be deployed while shooting. I'll look into it when I get several other fires stamped out.

Martin