View Full Version : A-mount vs EF for FS700

Peter Walsh
August 8th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Just received my new NEX FS700 and am looking to expand beyond the kit lens. Most people seem to be leaning toward the Metabones adapter to use EF lenses to take advantage of IS and auto iris. Yet Sony highlights the LA-EA2 A-mount adapter in its brochure which takes advantage of auto-focus, which is a nice option for the, corporate, documentary, and unpredictable actuality I often shoot. What's the drawback with A-Mount lenses? Is the choice of lenses not as good as EF? Also debating holding off on lens expansion until I see what Sony will produce to take advantage of the zoom rocker on the handle. I'm interested in any inside info on what to expect and when! Thanks for any responses.

Alister Chapman
August 9th, 2012, 01:19 AM
I don't think anyone knows when Sony will bring out a servo zoom. I don't think it will be anytime soon, probably later next year.

A-Mount lenses tend to be more expensive and the choice of lenses is narrower. The beauty of the Canon EF mount is that it is Canon DSLR's are incredibly popular and the range of lenses to choose from is vast.

Autofocus does have it's uses, but don't expect miracles with a Super35 mm camcorder, you will get hunting and you will get situations where the camera will focus on a wall instead of the subject. When choosing a lens also look at how large and easy to use the manual focus scale is. Many DSLR lenses have tiny short manual focus ring rotation ranges that makes them very difficult to focus manually.

Peter Walsh
August 9th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Thanks very much Alister. I'm a little disappointed on the unknown timing on the servo lens arrival, but hearing that helps me with not waiting around. I don't expect the FS700 to act as run and gun ENG camera, but a I'd be prepared to pay for a versatile quality servo lens which could reduce the need to expand into a host of DSLR lenses. I'm on a wait list for the Metabones adapter, so it looks like the kit lens will have to be my friend for while yet. Thanks again.