View Full Version : Minimal Shoulder rig for FS700

Olof Ekbergh
August 31st, 2012, 02:43 PM
I have been working on a few different kits for the 700. And I was just talking to one of my old customers and he was saying he really wants a minimal super light compact shoulder kit for the 700.

I have been thinking along those lines as well, I have the design for the bigger system with 15mm rails, AB batts etc done, it will be available in the next 10 days or so.

So I took a couple hrs and came up with this.

It is as small as I can possible make it and pretty comfortable as well.

The quick release plate holder can slide backward and forward. I will probably add a "wing" in the back for a wireless receiver or NanoFlash or whatever and also so you can hold the camera against your chest w/o upsetting any cables coming out of the back.

There is a support for the Metabones adapter that comes off with a thumbscrew. The same slot can hold a thumb screw that attaches to the Sony EA2 (is that right?) adapter. This will make your lenses more stable. I will also offer a lens support that can be extended like on my bigger kits.

I am sending this one out to my customer for evaluation along with the handle extender, you really need that to make this a comfortable rig. It is available here:
Sony FS700 handle extension (http://www.westsideavstore.com/index.php?p=product&id=62)

Any comments?

The kit will probably cost about $200.00 and the EVF holder in these photos is $185.00. I have a bigger one for the DP4 (it is heavy and it needs 2 attach points on the monitor so it does not flex) that will cost $225.00.

If there is a bit of interest in this lean kit I will make a batch. So please let me know if any of you are interested in the lean 700 kit.

And if anyone has any thoughts on how to improve it please let me know.

Paul Cronin
September 3rd, 2012, 08:49 AM
HI Olof,

Hope all is well, nice to see you expanding.

I have interest in the FS700 for one of my clients, so nice to see you coming up with a light shoulder kit. Makes sense to me to have the battery off behind the shoulder to help with balance.

Will email on a few different questions with the camera.

Will Thompson
September 4th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Olof - I am definitely in the market for something like this. Almost of all of my shooting is ENG style. I have been looking at the Movcam and 3ality Elements rigs, but they are expensive.

Your kit looks almost perfect - the only exception being that the 3ality "mantis arm" looks quite a bit more adjustable, and it would be really nice to place the handle down, out, and *under* the camera's center of gravity.