View Full Version : Thunderbolt - schmunderbolt?

Geoffrey Cox
September 12th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Been looking for an external, thunderbolt drive for that forlorn and wasted thunderbolt port on my MacBook Pro. Nothing fancy needed, low price bracket, max 1tb, storage.

There's not much out there is there?

The Buffalo Ministation has TB and USB3.0 (not much good to me, but still..) and is OK - looks about right (though only 1 TB port) but cheapest I can find is £180. That's a lot of money really. And I can't find anything else cheaper (apart from more complex arrangements with a USB3.0 drive and TB adapter and even then it's not much cheaper).

Anyone know of anything else that's available? Is it just a case of waiting / forgetting about it?

(It's worth noting too that given the Ministation uses a spinning disc, it can't go anywhere near TB's top speed, and in fact operates at much the same speed as USB3.0 - still pretty quick mind you)

Pete Bauer
September 12th, 2012, 10:21 PM
See this thread on the same topic:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/510121-thunderbolt-storage-devices.html

Nate Haustein
September 13th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Planning on getting a Ministation this week sometime. Anything is better than FireWire and I need the speed for multicam. Supposedly it's around twice as fast with real world speeds of around 100 Mb/s spinning disk and all. Seems useful. Other option is the Seagate GoFlex or a SSD model like the LaCie Or Elgato.

Geoffrey Cox
September 13th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks Nate - would be interested to hear your experience / view if you get the Ministation.

Pete, I did look at that thread but all those mentioned there are too big and expensive for me.

Geoff