View Full Version : What filters live on your lenses?

Mark Bolding
October 18th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I'm just getting started with my FS700 and have 2 zooms at this point. Wondering how much to spend on a protective U/V filter which can be as cheap as $10 for a Tiffen and also will be getting polarizers. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

mb

Olof Ekbergh
October 18th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I would not put an uncoated cheap UV filter on a good lens. The Best are B&W (costs more than many lenses) but the better quality Tiffens and Canon filters are OK.

The anti reflective coatings keep light from bouncing around between elements like the front of the lens and the back of the UV filter and even inside the filter itself, this is important to get good contrast and color as well as less flare from your lens. More expensive filters are also much higher quality and flatter glass.

The other filters I find very useful are the circular polarizer and graduated ND filters (these are best used in matteboxes so they can be moved around but the fixed round ones will help a lot with bright sky.

Phillip Palacios
October 18th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Everything Olof said. Cheap filters can also soften the image significantly.
p

Vince Manganello
October 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I have a couple B+Ws as well and agree that they're very nice. Recently though, I've been buying Hoya, (including for the 18-200 that came with my FS700) and been just as happy with those. This test convinced me to try them: lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test.html