View Full Version : Should a lens makes this noise?

Peter Walsh
October 19th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Just bought a used Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS lens from B&H that was rated 9+. I have it on my FS700 with the Metabones adapter. It is quiet when the IS is off, but makes an constant audible grinding noise when the image stabilizer is engaged. It's loud enough to be heard on "tape" in low noise environments. Is this normal and something I am expected to live with? Would a new one be silent? This lens is in great shape and is a highly rated used product by B&H so I didn't think I'd be getting into issues. I appreciate any feedback.

Chris Medico
October 19th, 2012, 02:54 PM
The IS on the Canon SLR lenses make a good bit of noise. They weren't designed with video in mind.

The "L" versions of the lenses with IS are a lot quieter.

Peter Walsh
October 24th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Thank you Chris.

Thomas Wong
October 31st, 2012, 01:22 AM
if i spend $1000 on the 17-55 2.8 EF-s lens, i'd rather get a used 24-70 L. The image is much much better

Buba Kastorski
October 31st, 2012, 10:59 AM
if i spend $1000 on the 17-55 2.8 EF-s lens, i'd rather get a used 24-70 L. The image is much much better
i strongly disagree, 17-55 EF-S is an excellent lens, i wouldn't bet on it, but it seems that my copy is a bit sharper than my 24-70mm, and if i post a short side by side of both lenses from the same camera you won't tell one from another,

Matt Davis
November 1st, 2012, 04:43 AM
+1 on that. The 17-55 is optically up there in the 'red ring' territory but the L-Series moniker is more about the moisture and dust protection.

I was shooting a sort of building site, and dust got inside the lens - it's off to be cleaned and serviced, so not a huge issue. The L-Series lenses would have probably done the job without sucking dust in every time you twisted the zoom ring.

But optically? It's sharper than my Nikkor 17-55 2.8 wide open (where it matters).

Yes, it grumbles a bit but not loud enough to be an issue on an FS100/700. I guess it's the plastic body and rather more 'gappy' construction that allows more noise to leak out than with the 24-105 IS. My 17-55 is a keeper but I'll also get either the 24-70 or the 24-105 - I'm leaning towards the latter because of the IS - 2.8 is nice, but so is a fairly safe aperture closeup. For me, the extra reach whilst handheld sort of wins over the wider aperture of the 24-70, but of course Your Mileage May Vary.

PS: will be interesting to see if the AF also works when my TechArt MX adaptor arrives...

Peter Walsh
November 3rd, 2012, 08:09 PM
I've shot a commercial and a corporate video with the lens since my original post. The grumble sound is not a issue. I was hasty with my concern. Happy with the lens.