View Full Version : The eagle video

Ryan ONeil
December 20th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I've got a question about this video:

Golden Eagle Snatches Kid - YouTube

I'm sure you've seen that it's a fake, but how does he incorporate the eagle so well? Not just motion tracking, but even the resolution of the video makes it look like the eagle is in it. I've worked heavily in After Effects but I've never been able to figure out how to work my compositing that well.

Chris Hurd
December 20th, 2012, 09:03 AM
YT link fixed so it embeds directly in the post.

It's an interesting bit of work. It always amazes me that people have the time and inclination to fabricate things like this.

Ryan ONeil
December 20th, 2012, 02:12 PM
They were students at a Canadian video college. Lol. Plenty of time on their hands.

Dave Blackhurst
December 22nd, 2012, 01:21 PM
Some of the "faked" analysis I read suggested it wasn't an eagle, but might have been another bird of prey like a hawk, somehow "disguised" as an eagle - perhaps they had access to a real trained hawk?? Would have saved a lot of work, and given something to composite onto that had a "genuine" look and feel. Use another "target" for the bird sequence, and composite the baby into it, the baby motion was one of the bigger "tells" that the video was faked.

And yes, this was a college project - create a video, make it go viral... they got an "A"... their theory was to mix babies and animals to get the biggest response, and it worked!

Just goes to show... don't believe everything you see, and especially don't believe everything you find on the INTERNET (unless of course it's on DVi!).

Chris Hurd
December 22nd, 2012, 02:12 PM
...don't believe everything you find on the INTERNET (unless of course it's on DVi!).

I need to put in a "LIKE" button!

Victor Nguyen
December 24th, 2012, 02:08 AM
behind the scenes: Golden Eagle Snatches Kid - Behind the Scenes - YouTube

Trevor Dennis
December 27th, 2012, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the 'Behind the scenes' link Victor. 500 hours of work? They deserved an 'A' for that IMO.

Ryan ONeil
January 5th, 2013, 04:31 PM
It's crazy! I did see the video on the behind-the-scenes of it being made. I totally get the eagle being created in something like cinema 4d.

My bigger question is, how did they composite the eagle so well?

Mark OConnell
January 12th, 2013, 01:25 PM
That was great!