View Full Version : When to sell camera?

Ryan Maheu
January 2nd, 2013, 03:11 PM
I currently own a Sony AX2000 and a Canon 60D. I used both a wedding in September but currently do not have any jobs lined up. I know there isnt one camera to do all jobs, but I am wondering if I should sell the Sony AX2000 since it is just sitting at the moment. I dont want to hold on to it to long and loose resale value like I did with my VX2000. I can either hang on to it, sell it for canon lenses for a full switch over to DSLR, or put the money towards a 5D Mark II or Mark III. when do you usually unload your gear, and is it smart to unload if its just sitting at the moment?

Ryan Maheu
January 9th, 2013, 07:29 PM
bump, anybody?

Jonathan Levin
January 9th, 2013, 08:30 PM
If it's not in use, sell sooner than later, as you said every time a new something or other is introduced, brings old stuff closer to door stop.

If you find that you need something, rent. I think there are some winter spring expos coming up, I'd hold off buying until end of February.

Jonathan

Kevin McRoberts
January 10th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Sell whenever someone is willing to pay more for it than it's worth to you.

Colin Rowe
January 10th, 2013, 06:16 AM
when do you usually unload your gear, and is it smart to unload if its just sitting at the moment?
Hi Ryan.
If your current cameras are just sitting at the moment, so will your new ones. I get a minimum 4 years work out of my cameras. The whole electronics industry depends on people wanting the very latest gear. If a camera was capable of doing the job 3 years ago, its just as capable today. Change cameras when you need to, or when something that is breathtakingly better than the equipment you have now appears on the scene. On a personal note I would stick with a video cam for weddings, I use DSLRs alongside my EX1s, but they make much harder work of it

David W. Jones
January 11th, 2013, 09:33 AM
I am not a wedding videographer, but did shoot one recently for a friend. If it were me I would keep the Sony AX2000 if events like weddings are your bread and butter, as the AX2000 has the edge over DSLRs in the audio department. It seems to me that it would make a good stationary cam handling the audio feed.