View Full Version : Matching a location's soft white fluorescents

Tom More
February 11th, 2013, 08:19 PM
I shot a conference speaker this past weekend at a nice hotel. I expected there to be installed fluorescent lighting so I came with my fluorescent softbox, etc. Come to find out the hotel's installed lighting was a soft white fluorescent at about 3000K which didn't go so well with mine at 5000K. I suddenly realized this is probably the way a lot of commercial buildings will be going in the future (since people tend to like soft white). Anyone know a retrofit for 5000K bulbs without having to replace them all or wrap everything in CTO?

Tom
Restrung Lefty Media

Chris Medico
February 11th, 2013, 08:42 PM
What lamps are in your softbox?

You should be able to find lamps for your box in the 3000k range.

Chanon Wangtrirat
February 11th, 2013, 10:39 PM
I think it's difficult to match high quality fluoro that you have with ordinary CRI<90 fluoro somwhat skintone will appear to dull.

my solution is using philips super 80 tri phosphor tube that not cost much just ordinary and with various color temp depend on location 3000K .4100K and then save custom white balanced with these low quality bulb. so color is no different incase like this.

Tom More
February 12th, 2013, 11:19 AM
What lamps are in your softbox?

You should be able to find lamps for your box in the 3000k range.

They're 5200K. So it sounds like the simplest thing is just have a second set of 3000K.

Tom More
February 12th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I think it's difficult to match high quality fluoro that you have with ordinary CRI<90 fluoro somwhat skintone will appear to dull.

my solution is using philips super 80 tri phosphor tube that not cost much just ordinary and with various color temp depend on location 3000K .4100K and then save custom white balanced with these low quality bulb. so color is no different incase like this.

My lights are actually the screw-in CFL style bulbs, not tubes. But I'll search for some equivalent and then try the custom white balance to blend a little on-location. Thanks!

Chris Medico
February 12th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Kino makes high quality tungsten matching CFLs.

You can even get them from a forum sponsor:

Kino Flo 6.6" 26W Kino KF32 True Match 26S-K32-120 B&H