View Full Version : Shuttle - Battery run-times

Peter Kay
February 16th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Hi all,

Just thought I would share some experiences with you.

This week I carried out a 2 day, outdoor shoot using the Hyperdeck and 2no 120gb SSD's.

First note was the shockingly poor runtime on the Hyperdeck's internal battery. It would appear that it consumes nearly as much power when standing by as it does when actually recording. I was averaging about 50 mins before the internal battery was done. Fortunately I have an available 12v source on the camera rig, but my overall run times of this power source did not really take into account needing to run the Shuttle almost permanently from it. More batteries required... ;(

In short, forget that the shuttle has an internal battery as it's only likely to give you enough for the shortest of run-and-gun sessions before needing a re-charge.

Another interesting 'feature' is that it automatically records when you're playing back from the camera. I had a number of occasions to review just taken shots, but I only noticed later that the Shuttle happily records the replays just the same as it does when doing an actual take. Note: I always put a card in the camera body as a backup, plus it's easier to locate specific clips using the camera as the Shuttle has no menu structure ect...

Is it possible for the Shuttle to determine the difference between recording and playback from the camera, or is it simply looking for time-code roll from the HD-SDI feed..?

P.S - The footage from the Shuttle is a massive step up when compared to the camera's internal compressed efforts!!

Kevin Duffey
May 5th, 2013, 08:16 PM
I believe the internal battery is really so that you don't need to provide an external power source to use it for short portable setups.. but will say that if you're not able to plug it in, it's not worth it without a battery pack. For a few hundred bucks you can get battery packs (v-mount, gold-mount) that give your camera, monitor, audio recorder and shuttle 2 about 4 to 8 hours of record time depending on usage of all the gear. Well worth it if you plan on doing anything more than a basic quick bit of stock footage.