View Full Version : HM150 vs XF100 vs?

Petter Flink
February 26th, 2013, 09:54 AM
This is one of those nightmarish what camera to choose...

Long story short. I got the HM100 a while back, loved it for the simple workflow on mac, world-framerates cheap media, size etc. Disliked it for missing interval recording, iris, remote, few user buttons, small screen, low light and too narrow on the wide side.
The HM150 even though a couple of years old would give me most of these things and in a weak moment I put it up for sale, got more then I bought it for(!) and sold it. :)
So now I'm without camera and asked for a few qoutes on the HM150 and I got some nice ones.

At the same time I've been looking at the XF100 and it sure seems to be a nice camera. But the workflow is not as fast at all, CF-media is way more expensive though the 50Mbit 422 and low light including IR/night shot and larger monitor is great.

The XA-10 and NX30 are impressive for their small size as well but I hate having to use the screen to set or change settings all the time.

How would you weight a smoother workflow and familiarity of the HM150 against the XF100s better features but higher price?
The XF100 is almost $1000 more then the HM150 in Europe. And another $800 to get it patched to do all framerates. :/
On top of this I'm sensing that JVC might be about to release a HM150 replacement soon.

Petter Flink
March 11th, 2013, 03:39 AM
I went with HM150 in the end. Placed an order with ProAV at quite a nice price and it will arrive tomorrow. :)

Al Bergstein
March 11th, 2013, 08:19 AM
I owned a 150 and currently own an xf100. Dusl slot recording funtionality is a plus on the xf100. .both are terrible in low light. Buy an hdslr for that. G3 ought to marry up with the 150. IF on the xf100 is cool. I used it to advantage in this promo.i could not have shot this without Infared.
55:Music and Dance in Concrete - The Cistern on Vimeo
While i loved the 150 as a starter camera, the 100 is better for long running events, and cf cards have been more reliable. The mxf format is the best of all. Absolutely beautiful images. Much better IMHO than the 150.

Petter Flink
March 11th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks for your feedback and the video.
Yes the IR would be nice to have and I do like the handling of the XF100 but in the end it felt like to much money atm.
I do sit on a serious set up of Nikon glass so if/when I decide to take a step up in camera body I will make sure to choose one that will make the most out of them. :)