View Full Version : Long telephoto on the Black Magic Cinema Camera

Chris Barcellos
March 28th, 2013, 06:01 PM
I got out a 500 mm mirror lens today, and mounted it to the BMCC. I captured a few frames from Vegas from the clips I shot. I stuck a color curve on the original file in Vegas, and added some sharpening. Three stills sent below.

Steve Varnell
March 28th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Pretty amazing to me for a 500mm. Thats like 1200mm equivalent I think off hand.

Chris Barcellos
March 29th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Most of the long video shots in this test video were shot with Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm. Wides with Nikon Nikkor f2.8 28mm. I am still wrestling with a work flow to get ProRes film ramped up to a viewable image, but I have only had it a week or so.

Nature Clips Shot with Black Magic Cinema Camera - YouTube

Chris Barcellos
April 11th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Here is some test footage from the Black Magic Cinema Camera and 500mm Mirror lens.

Black Magic Cinema Camera with Rokinon 500mm Mirror Lens - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i15pWHayrNs&feature=youtu.be)

Warren Kawamoto
April 12th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Chris, I'm very impressed with your corner sharpness of your 500mm. I have a Celestron 1250mm f10 telescope. When connected to my DSLR, the corners really suffer, and contrast takes a dive. Very nice!

Roger Rosales
April 12th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Is it this one?
Rokinon 500mm f/6.3 Mirror T-Mount Lens (Black) ED500M-B B&H

I like the price. My buddy lent me a Soligor 650mm f/8 and judging by the samples given on the BH customer reviews section, there's not much of a difference between the two (except for the focal length difference and aperture opening). For $140 I'm thinking of purchasing it. It's really fun to play with long telephoto lenses. For me to get good "sharp" pictures I need to shoot at about 1000th of a second shutter speed and my ISO cranked up to about 2000 ISO depending on the subject and light conditions. However, even with a high ISO setting the images are pretty good with minimal noise! I'm using the 60D so i'm sure that makes a difference given that it's a newer model with improved high ISO capabilities.