View Full Version : First airline to charge by weight!

Warren Kawamoto
April 2nd, 2013, 11:35 AM
I've always wondered why I can bring aboard 2 50lb bags full of camera equipment, and be charged the same as a little lady with 2 small bags. That's about to change.
Samoa Air introduces first weight-based airfare policy - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL (http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/21856156/samoa-air-introduces-weight-based-airfare-policy?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HawaiiNewsNow-News+%28Hawaii+News+Now+-+News%29)

To make it fair for everyone, all the airline needs to do now is to install a bench/row style seating, with adjustable arm rests to accomodate different widths of passengers. lol

Trevor Dennis
April 2nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
We have a great many 'Islanders' here in New Zealand, and you don't see many skinny ones. Especially the women. One of our small local airlines flies between Picton and Wellington using Cessna Caravan aircraft. I've seen the pilot (who is the sole crew) put his shoulder behind a particularly large Islander gentleman trying to force him through the door!

Sounds Air Flights to Wellington from Picton, Blenheim & Nelson (http://www.soundsair.com/index)

Thankfully I was not on that flight! The route from Picton to Cook Straight takes the aircraft through mountainous terrain, and you frequently hear alarms going off at the front of the plane when it hits a particularly bad down draft. I've seen the pilots hit the instrument panel with the flat of their hand to make an errant instrument correct itself. Locals have nicknamed the company after certain WW2 Japanese flights where the pilot wore a red head band, and didn't expect to be coming back.

Allan Black
April 2nd, 2013, 05:29 PM
lol .. they didn't take it far enough, they should do a tie up with Jenny Craig :)

We did Oz a/v progs for Phillippine Air Lines, they tried it locally in their islands, and through the screwups in the terminals,
they got the name PAL, Plane Always Late.

Cheers.