View Full Version : Sony Multi-use micro usb terminal (OTG)

Bruce Dempsey
April 30th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Can a new 2013 sony camera utilizing the Multi-use micro usb terminal (OTG) double down and provide camera power and data transfer thru the same port and at the same time using this?:
Micro USB Host OTG Cable w/USB power S2 i9100 S3 i9300 i9220 i9250 Ships From US (http://www.atomicmarket.com/micro-usb-host-otg-cable-with-micro-usb-power-for-samsung-i9100-i9300-i9220-i9250-by-atomicmarket.html)

Dave Blackhurst
May 1st, 2013, 12:28 AM
Which model camera? Are you hoping to power the camera via USB while recording like most video cams have been able to do?

Offhand if you want to charge and do data transfer at the same time, I don't think any of the Sony still cams are set up that way, although there may be some power diverted during the download process (?) The other "gotcha" is that the cable that Sony is using on some of the latest cameras has the same plug as most cell phones, but something is wired differently - need to use the Sony cable for charge/transfer - found it by accident, it's a tad frustrating.

Bruce Dempsey
May 10th, 2013, 06:32 PM
remote handle with zoom and shutter release and shooting under mains power cable need to plug into the same micro usb port above the micro hdmi (what;s with the micro sized ports anyway)
I bought a ac-ud20 and a couple of micro to regular usb cables an wired both to the hx300, Camera worked and was powered by the mains , the remote handle turned on a green light but none of the functions worked on the remote

Dave Blackhurst
May 12th, 2013, 03:32 PM
The remote "probably" uses some sort of triggering method to tell the camera it is there, I'm presuming it is similar to how the LANC via the A/V port was implemented on Handycams - in that case a resistor across two pins in the "remote" signaled the camera to expect the LANC input. If the "trigger" wasn't there, the LANC functions remained inactive. In that case, it was possible to "parrallel" some of the other A/V functionality with the LANC signal.

I know I ran into the aforementioned issue where the USB cable Sony is using (RX100, HX300, GW77 that I know of from direct experience) seems to be a bit different from a "standard" cable such as comes with almost every phone made... so there's a good chance they did something "unique" in the USB pinouts.

This doesn't mean for certain it's impossible to achieve power AND remote functions (though it MAY be depending on the pin configuration), just means it's not as "simple" as it might first look! I can only suggest it MAY be possible to reverse engineer the remote and figure out how to rig it... a lot depends on how Sony engineers created a "multifunction" USB!

Bruce Dempsey
May 12th, 2013, 03:56 PM
I see a sony a/v 10 pin to micro usb adapter cable which probably would permit older style remotes with lanc but the issue remains of introducing the powering feed thru the same port
Need a microIN, micoIN to microOUT Y
Still ablaze down there? Up here in the WayUpNorth East we've had heavy rain for a week and it pouring at the moment. Not fair