View Full Version : Time code: how

Sabyasachi Patra
May 8th, 2013, 10:49 AM
I am a novice as far as timecode is concerned.

Can anybody explain it to me in english as to how I need to proceed? I am trying to sync a SD 702T with the Canon EOS C300. Or if anyone can point me at any resource that would be great.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Rick Reineke
May 8th, 2013, 02:46 PM
The Canon EOS C300 does not support TC as 'normal' pro camcorders do. TC can however be recorded onto an audio track as Longitidinal time code (LTC) .Some use the Lockit Buddy. Lockit Buddy (http://www.lockitbuddy.com/website/) for DSLRs. The Lockit Buddy interface must fed TC which is usually from a portable lock box jam-sync'd to the audio recorder's TC. Not a cheap proposition and the editor must have NLE that can read LTC from the audio track and place it on the timeline accordingly.
IMO, cheaper and easier to record an audio scratch track on the DSLR and use PluralEyes to sync.

Ty Ford
May 9th, 2013, 08:58 AM
"IMO, cheaper and easier to record an audio scratch track on the DSLR and use PluralEyes to sync."

Provided, of course, that your shots are not too long. If they are, the camera and recorder may well drift out of sync.

How long is too long? Depends on the individual camera and recorder. Some will sync pretty well for over an hour. Others with drift apart in a minute or so.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Daniel Epstein
May 9th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Not sure what Canon C300 you guys are thinking about? The one I have used has Timecode IN and Out as well as Genlock. It may be a little touchy and you need to know the menus but it can take Timecode from your Sound Devices 702T out to C300 timecode in on Free run same settings and it should jam the code. You also can send the code from the camera back to the audio recorder if it takes TC in. Over time there can be drift if you don't also use genlock and don't stay connected. I do always try for back up sound in case something drifts.

Rick Reineke
May 9th, 2013, 06:49 PM
I though the Canon C300 was a DSLR.. DUH. If it has TC, jam-syncing them is easy... Though as was stated, w/o genlock drift can happen, so would I re-jam the devices at lunch or when possible. It's recommended scenes/takes are still clap-slated as well and a camera hop is there for another back-up mix for dallies.