View Full Version : How would you spend $100,000?

Tom Greever
September 24th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Let's pose a hypothetical situation that I face right now. Let's say the company you work for has given you $100,000 to "revamp" the video department. For some of you, this is hardly enough to work with. For others, this may be a goldmine that you only dream of. So, I'm curious... what would you buy with it?

With the money, you are to set-up a 2-person (full-time) studio plus 2-3 part-time people doing editing, camera work etc... You are starting with an aging workstation (3 Ghz Pentium, 1 GB RAM) running Sony Vegas, a Sony PD-150 & PD-170, and handful of other equipement (wireless lavs, bogen pods, etc...) and nothing else.

The primary work of the studio is doing weekly corporate documentary-type 20 min. films (interviewing candidates, b-roll, and putting it all together), plus bi-monthly specialized videos that run no more than 10 min., format conversion, DVD authoring, all the regular business-y type stuff. Your budget should include outfitting the studio for the first time: lighting, curtains, green paint, etc... However, the money does not include any salaries or other employee benefits... only equipment.

I know how I would spend it. But how would you?

Dylan Couper
September 25th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Easy.

I'd buy two HDV cams, hire two camera ops, and then steal the rest of the money, fly us down to Vegas, and then shoot a feature film about how a normal guy can blow the remaining $90,000 in a 4 day bender of women, drugs, and debauchery. Then I'd sell it for about $1million, and refund $150,000 to the company I stole it from.

Mike Teutsch
September 25th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Easy.

I'd buy two HDV cams, hire two camera ops, and then steal the rest of the money, fly us down to Vegas, and then shoot a feature film about how a normal guy can blow the remaining $90,000 in a 4 day bender of women, drugs, and debauchery. Then I'd sell it for about $1million, and refund $150,000 to the company I stole it from.

I like the way you think Dylan!!!!!!!!

Mike

Christopher C. Murphy
September 25th, 2005, 07:35 AM
I'm with Dylan......and I want in!

Hey Dylan, I'm coming to Oh' Canada today to see the Rolling Stones and Beck in Toronto!

K. Forman
September 25th, 2005, 08:26 AM
I would spend it very quickly, before anyone realised it was missing!