View Full Version : Nano Flash: awaiting source ...

Gerd Kogler
June 2nd, 2013, 10:20 PM
Hi Dan,
My NanoFlash was working perfectly for nearly 2 years, but now it suddenly lost it.
Every time I hit record the 'awaiting source ...' error message comes up. This is what I did to correct it:

I tried 3 different HDMI cables to record to no avail, but they all played back the NanoFlash on TV.
The Sony HVR-Z7 camera never had a problem playing back or recording through via HDMI.
The Z7 connected to TV in recording mode the image was transmitted without problem.
I was using Transcend and SanDisk CF cards for all this time without problem. I repeated the formatting
several times on each card, but no success.
Checked your troubleshooting guide:
Try a System - restore defaults on NanoFlash, source set at HDMI, Remove Pulldown 3:2 is selected.

What do you suggest?

Cheers,
Gerd

Jack Zhang
June 2nd, 2013, 11:27 PM
3:2 pulldown is the issue. Pulldown requires the Nanoflash to detect the cadence of the 3:2 pulldown before it starts recording or accepting the signal.

You may have to be forced to shoot 30p and 60i from now on.

Edit: Hold on, you're in PAL land, 3:2 pulldown does not work with PAL, period. Only NTSC 60i that has a 24p stream inside it.

Gerd Kogler
June 3rd, 2013, 04:03 AM
Thank your for the reply, Jack.

In my statement I made a mistake: remove 3:2 pulldown was NOT selected, and I was
shooting like that for nearly 2 years without problem (PAL/1080i/25p).
To be sure I now tried it again - both ways - selected and not, but with no positive result.
Since owning and originally setting the menus of the unit I have not changed any setting,
just formatted the cards on it.

Cheers,

Gerd

Jack Zhang
June 3rd, 2013, 02:20 PM
Have you tried a HDMI to SDI converter and seeing if it still worked?

If it's still not working with SDI, it may be time for servicing. If I am correct, there are two chips responsible for either recording or playing back video. It could be your playback chip is functioning and your recording chip has died. If you are still getting picture, the primary processor is still working, but the encoder chip broke and the decoder chip still works.

Gerd Kogler
June 3rd, 2013, 04:51 PM
Again thanks for the quick response, Jack.

If the timecode is not In imbedded in HDMI, I can't imagine that a converter can provide it. But I will follow your advice and try to do it. Electronics/computer gear can be full of surprises in both directions!

Cheers,

Gerd

Jack Zhang
June 3rd, 2013, 07:03 PM
The nanoFlash never supported HDMI timecode to begin with. Still use the trigger with the record button on the nanoFlash itself. I believe the only HDMI timecode support is in the FS100.

Gerd Kogler
June 26th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Just to end the story, Jack, I sent my NanoFlash back to the Australian supplier. It was tested and
found faulty with a dead HDMI in, but it will be repaired.

Gerd

Gerd Kogler
July 5th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Although still under warranty, I got the message that Convergent Design charges me for the repair of the NanoFlash, claiming the HDMI IN port was damaged. During all that time I was using the unit with the same cable, which plugged in like butter, no problem, including the last time, when I got the 'awaiting source ...' message.
The unit, along with a Sony Z7 camera, was ALWAYS used on a tripod (I shoot with 100-300 zoom/7.2x crop factor) with a special bracket, and it was NEVER put on the ground to subject the equipment to dust etc.
I find that very disappointing!

Gerd Kogler

Gerd Kogler
July 23rd, 2013, 07:19 PM
After second thoughts Convergent Design waived the charge of the repair, and only collected transport fees.
By doing so, in my view they re-established to be the fair and honest company with the most exceptionally good service they were always known to be.

Gerd