View Full Version : Best transpo for getting gear to Europe

Micheal McAlexander
June 6th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Hello all,

Need some alternative of shipping a 3-light LED kit to Europe for a shoot. My airline wants to charge an additional $600 each way for the shipping. Any thoughts?

Micheal

Ryan James
June 7th, 2013, 12:51 AM
Have been in similar situation and found it worked out cheaper to arrange rental on location - also means no power/adaptor issues. Is that an option for you?

Noa Put
June 7th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Yeah, rental would be the easiest and cheapest option, where in Europe are you shooting? Then you might be able to get addresses to contact and rent.

Micheal McAlexander
June 7th, 2013, 01:53 AM
yeah that's my fall back position... just need to do the research to rent gear overseas :)

Allan Black
June 7th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Micheal, for the rest of your gear, keep in mind it's 110 volts over there.

When you book the gear in advance, have backup rentals in mind.

Cheers.

Ryan James
June 7th, 2013, 03:04 AM
If you end up going with rentals, make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to arrange it - there can be a lot of back-and-forth, faxing insurance, passports, etc before you can hire anything. There was for me between Ireland/Canada/USA in any case.

Like Noa said, I'm sure if you post up what locations you're covering people would recommend local, reliable places.

Ronald Jackson
June 7th, 2013, 03:17 AM
It ain't 110 volts in Britain (or Ireland I think). 240 so no putting fingers in the sockets!

Ron

Frank Glencairn
June 7th, 2013, 03:41 AM
If you need to rent gear in Germany, I can assist you.

Noa Put
June 7th, 2013, 05:40 PM
keep in mind it's 110 volts over there

Where is "over there"? Over here it's 220 volt :)

John Nantz
June 7th, 2013, 06:19 PM
$600? Now that's a profit center! At that price you could almost buy new ones there.

Another option might be to ship the lights but rent the tripods.

Check with DHL and UPS as they ship between the US and Europe. When returning to the US it would be a good idea to have a form "Certificate of Registration" OMB 1651-0010, CBP Form 4457 http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/cbp_form_4457.pdf (check the expiration date on the form)

The rental idea really sounds like the least expensive way to go.

Maybe team up with another videographer who has lights?

You got us wondering - where are you going???