View Full Version : What stabilizer do you use, or would like to be using.

Pages : [1] 2

Clive McLaughlin
August 27th, 2013, 12:56 AM
We are pretty much all in the same boat here, so lets not talk about items which are probably over most people's budgets.

I use a Flycam Nano which has served me well, but has no fine adjustment knobs and gets out of balance very easily. From brides house to church, from church to reception, it will need five minutes of time to rebalance.

I've also rebalanced it with my new 6D and Sigma 50mm and while it is perfectly balanced, it now is very prone to what I can only describe as vibration with every step. Which i never saw with my 550D.

The flycam base can come loose, the shaft can twist, the top plate can get slightly knocked out of balance, the mounting plate can twist on the top, and the camera can twist on its base plate!

I have only seen one design that addresses most of these issues - but i suspect its too lightweight. The Skyler Minicam (or the very good replica) Xcam stabiliser.

The design of these means the bottom weights are fixed, and the shaft cannot twist. Its also got very good locking mechanisms, and folds up rather compact.

From what I can see, if you have this balanced. you can take your camera off and know that it will pretty much be spot on, any time you reach for it.

What do you guys think? Are there any other solutions that would make my life easier and lock down VERY solid for travel?

I was very impressed by Noa's clips of his Blackbird. And the kick stand I guess would help keep it balanced between uses. But its very long from what I see, and quite often I use it to fly over objects like low walls or hedges, and this would be a little of a hindrance to the way I work.

XCam Mini Video Stabilizer vs Skyler MiniCam Stabilizer on Vimeo

As a closing comment - I am so fed up with sample footage that is poor when the youtuber doesn't realise its poor. But also, it doesn't necessarily mean that stabiliser is poor, because so many people just don't fully stabilise their products properly!

Noa Put
August 27th, 2013, 04:58 AM
I like that xcam mini steadicam, perfect for traveling as it fits in a backpack, from the examples I have seen on youtube it's fairly stable but a lot depends on the users experience. From what I have seen though I wouldn't be using it on paid assignments but when if I would be shooting for fun I wouldn't mind having it with me for some quick steadicam shots.

Clive McLaughlin
August 27th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Noa, do you reckon the Blackbird is a winner? Better than Merlin or Glidecam HD series?

Do you find the length (height) to be a problem?

Does it keep balance if handled with care between uses?

Paul Mailath
August 27th, 2013, 07:31 AM
The glidecam is a clear winner in my books - I have a Merlin, Pilot, Glidecam & a larger Liang rig.

For weddings you need something that's easy to use and will take a knock without having to rebalance all the time - I can put a DSLR on the Glidecam and sit it in the corner till I need it - use it and drop it back in the corner - no problems with balancing, no drama's putting on a vest - quick & easy

Adrian Tan
August 27th, 2013, 08:08 AM
I'm still drooling over the Steadicam Solo, though I think the reality might disappoint me when it's finally released.

Roger Gunkel
August 27th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I've never used a steady cam of any sort, having found it quick and convenient to use my lightweight tripod as a simple stabiliser with the central column extended and the legs as a counterweight. However, having watched some of Noa's superb example footage, I decided to get a very basic entry level stabiliser to play about with, before investing serious money.

I took delivery of a Glide Gear Syl 3000 a few days ago, for the princely sum of £79 new. The reviews varied from 5 stars to 1, with most praising the construction and simplicity, with criticism being almost exclusively about the plastic gimbal. It seems that there is variation on the quality of the gimbal, with some being very satisfied and some finding horrendous sticking. I decided at that price to take a gamble.

The overall construction is very good, as is the finish, with ample weights supplied, an adapter plate for off centre mounting and a nice carry case. In spite of people seeming to have balancing problems, it only took about 15 minutes for a first time setup using my Panasonic Lumix FZ200. My initial attempts at filming were not too bad, being used to using the tripod as a steady camI didn't have any difficulty with moving, with a much smoother motion than I have achieved with the tripod.

It soon became apparent though that there was friction in the gimbal as it is easy to tilt the camera by tilting the handle, so rolling motion is not as well damped as I would want. I found the same with my Panasonic video cams and adding extra weight didn't improve things. So yesterday I bought some dry lubricating spray for the plastic gimbal, which immediately cut down the friction squeak and greatly improved the damping. I also spent a couple of hours researching and found that the gimbal is actually a plastic ball joint as used on car tailgate gas struts. I found a company that can supply the same size in stainless steel, so have ordered one today. That should reduce friction further and hopefully give me the results I am looking for.

At the price though, I can get useable footage and possibly with the new gamble fitted, up to a much higher standard than I expected. It also gives me the opportunity to practice gliding technique before committing to a higher spend, although I may well get what I want from the Glide Gear.

As a useful side note, I use a double camera mount on my tripod and find that I can mount the stabiliser to it with camera attached, to quickly loosen and lift off when needed throughout the day.

Roger

Jeff Harper
August 27th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Adrian, the Solo is the first steadicam I've been interested in a while. I am anxiously awaiting to see how it pans out. Very exciting product, hope it lives up to it's potential!

Nigel Barker
August 27th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Adrian, the Solo is the first steadicam I've been interested in a while. I am anxiously awaiting to see how it pans out. Very exciting product, hope it lives up to it's potential!Goodness only knows how much it's going to be though.

As you are attracted by one bastard monopod stabiliser hybrid perhaps you would consider another? I know a number of people who swear by the SteddiePod Barber Tech Video Products (http://www.barbertvp.com/products-steddiepod.html) Last weekend I briefly had the opportunity to try one out & can see that it could be perfect for shooting weddings There are some nice demo videos on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6sSluTRdiA&feature=player_embedded#at=28
SteadyPod - BEST & MOST Versatile Handheld Camera Stabilizer/Support EVER! - YouTube

Jeff Harper
August 27th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Nigel, the Solo should be around $799 last I read.

Clive McLaughlin
August 27th, 2013, 11:25 AM
I find all these monopod types to be a bit gimmicky. How many of us would really use a monopod that has no pan or tilt ability? I wouldn't. (But in fairness I only just bought a Manfrotto 562b so I'm a little biased).

Like I said though, the major selling point for me over that little Xcam in the OP is this. Its completly locked down. It won't budge once you've set it. Are there any others that are THAT rock solid between uses? As in from one day to the next, thrown into your bag with your other tripods etc...

That would be a major major advantage to me.

Nigel Barker
August 27th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Nigel, the Solo should be around $799 last I read.I'll be amazed if it is as that's about the price of the Merlin.

Cole Prine
August 27th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I use the glidecam and love it. I have a quick release plate on it so I can pop the camera off, get a handheld shot, then pop it back on and be flying in no time. Of course now I have two cameras I run with so one is for handheld and the other practically lives on the glidecam. I've had good luck with hauling it around too. It usually rides on the floor board of my truck and when I get it out, it's just a minor tweak, if that, and it's ready to go. And not a bad price either. I also like that I can easily prop it on my knee for hand held shots.

Stelios Christofides
August 27th, 2013, 03:33 PM
I gave up with stabilazers, too much hassle to set it up AND KEEP it like that, so I have an almost brand new Opteka SteadyVid PRO Video Stabilizer System (just used it ONCE and for only a few minutes) for sale at $120 + Transport costs (depending where I ship).
You can email me at scstech@gmail.com

stelios

Noa Put
August 27th, 2013, 05:46 PM
too much hassle to set it up AND KEEP it like that

I see the opteka is 170 dollar new? I think you can't expect too much from this steadicam but it doesn't mean all steadicams are bad, you get what you pay for.

Chris Harding
August 27th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Hey Stelios

I use my rig only during my shoot just before the photog takes the couple away for photos so I tend to have plenty of time to slip into the vest, click on the arm and hook it onto the sled. Probably a couple of minutes at the most. However I never seem to be lucky enough to have receptions with lots of space..even the dance floor is jam packed so it's hardly ever used indoors at all!

Bear in mind that very few cheap rigs can be expected to keep their balance as the gimbal (as Roger has already found out) is low quality ..it's really the heart of the system and you do need a precision bearing there to maintain repeatability. I last balanced my rig in February when I swopped from Panny cameras to Sony and my balance stays perfect.

I really cannot see the point of having a system that you have to fight.. if that's the case then rather just go handheld and do some careful camera moves. On a vest system you should be able to walk around (or even run) and only need finger tip control on the sled.

The rig that Steadicam brought out for the GoPro sounds interesting...has anyone bought and used one??

Chris

Clive McLaughlin
August 28th, 2013, 01:08 AM
Chris, you are right about the Steadicam Curve for the GOPro being interesting. If, like you say, its for outdoor, it would be as good as anything in terms of quality and nicely wide. It also has no variables or moving parts so needs no adjustment and will always be balanced.

I just don't think something so lightweight would be very good and probably very prone to wind.

It sounds to me that if I were to upgrade, Glidecam is the way to go.

Any chance of anyone showing me Glidecam footage that compares with Noa's Blackbird footage?

Noa, why don'y you repost yours for others to drool over!

Rob Cantwell
August 28th, 2013, 04:20 AM
@ Nigel: are those SteddiePod systems available in the UK? Seems like a good combo system.

I was using an ordinary monopod over the weekend and wished that i could set it down at times to check other items during the day.

Chris Harding
August 28th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Hi Rob

Be aware that it has no gimbal so it's really just a monopod with weighted feet. I made one a few years back using a standard monopod and then fixed the base of a mic stand to the bottom with big washers as weights.

It does help BUT it's not a stedicam by a long shot! We also talked about it in this thread and I posted a pic

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/515720-new-steadicam.html

Chris

Matt Brady
August 28th, 2013, 10:09 AM
I use the Steddiepod, you have to purchase it direct from the USA if your trying to get hold of one in the UK.

Its a great device, stable enough for use on weddings. It deploys real fast and has more than one use, ideal on weddings when you want to carry less kit.

I used to use a Pilot, but found the vest and balance set up to cumbersome for fast deployment on a wedding shoot.

Its Steddiepod all the way for me. Fast deployment, easy operating learning curve, cheap, multi use...... ideal wedding kit.

Noa Put
August 28th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Any chance of anyone showing me Glidecam footage that compares with Noa's Blackbird footage?
Noa, why don'y you repost yours for others to drool over!

Each time I use a steadicam I suck a little less, that's an expression I read in one of the posts on this forum and I think it much applies to what I do, not only with my blackbird steadicam but with video in general :) A steadicam is a tool that needs time, lots of time to master and I feel I"m not even halfway there but like many others here, no matter what brand steadicam you have, I am sure that any higher end steadicam can give you great results if you got the skill and experience to fly the thing.

Below a collection of some steadicam moves over the past 2 years I did with my blackbird, I randomly took some shots from several wedding trailers I have on my pc. It would be great if other users could post some footage from their steadicam moves as well, I rather see it being used then being told that it works fine, especially since I noticed that some people have a different idea about fluid movement compared to what I would associate with a steadicam. If you plan to buy a steadicam, no matter what brand, I"d only do that based on live action footage.

If I could buy a small steadicam, half the size of my blackbird, which would fit in a backpack and which has the same build and operation quality as my blackbird and which is fast to set up or break down, I would get it immediately as a second travel steadicam, that's why the xcam mini steadicam looked interesting, but I"m not so convinced about the quality of the gimbal and other parts in general if you use it for a longer period. those have to be of high quality and precision engineered and not like has been suggested in a other thread that home depot material would suffice as well.

Maybe if Mr Greb from CMR reads this he could develop one? :) Also, the music in this video is horrible but it's license free :D, better turn it off just to see the movement.
https://vimeo.com/73320569

Charles Newcomb
August 28th, 2013, 02:38 PM
That's very nice stuff, Noa. SInce there doesn't seem to be any DOF issues in the footage, I assume you're using a camcorder and not a DSLR. What I'm really curious about is if you're using a vest/arm, or just the Blackbird. I can't seem to get as good with mine as you are with yours.

Noa Put
August 28th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Just the blackbird stabiliser, no vest or arm and it was a dslr, a Canon 550d with a 14mm f2.8 lens :)

Charles Newcomb
August 28th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Just the blackbird stabiliser, no vest or arm and it was a dslr, a Canon 550d with a 14mm f2.8 lens :)

Awesome. Thanks.

Byron Jones
August 28th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Noa, that is nice stuff! Impressive. I would hire you based off that one collect of clips.

Nigel Barker
August 28th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Lovely shots Noa. I know that the skill of the operator is important too but the Blackbird looks like a great stabiliser. My suspicion is that the extra mass & the antlers aid the stability.

A 14mm lens on an APS-C camera (21mm FF equivalent) is a good focal length for the 'amateur' operator as it's wide enough that any unwanted movement is not too evident plus the DoF ensures that everything is in focus but it's not so wide that objects near to the camera (especially people) don't get distorted.

The Xcam Mini looks ingenious but my worry would be that it's simply too small & light. I have flown a variety of Steadicams and the heavier the rig the more stable & smoother it is which is really just a simple matter of physics.

Nigel Barker
August 28th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Hi Rob

Be aware that it has no gimbal so it's really just a monopod with weighted feet. I made one a few years back using a standard monopod and then fixed the base of a mic stand to the bottom with big washers as weights.

It does help BUT it's not a stedicam by a long shot! We also talked about it in this thread and I posted a pic

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/515720-new-steadicam.html

Chris
The Steddiepod doesn't have a gimbal but the hand grip runs on ball bearings so can spin freely in the horizontal plane.

Noa Put
August 29th, 2013, 12:12 AM
I would hire you based off that one collect of clips.

I"m available for pre-order :) The only thing a blackbird can't do is fly upside down like you can do with steadicam pilot, so flying shots just above floor level are not possible, not that I miss this but could look great in certain situations.

Clive McLaughlin
August 29th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Cheers Noa,
You do a great job selling the Blackbird with that sample!

I'll try and throw together some of my Flycam Nano DSLR clips in the next day or so.

Do you find it to me bulky? I know for me, no matter how hard I try I can't fully eliminate the chances of something touching my Flycam, or somebody walking into me on the dancefloor. I imagine the chances of this would be increased with the Blackbird which is significantly better.

I also have been working on 50mm on flycam to date, but have just ordered a cheap 19-35mm just for the wide ability whilst flying. It really does massively improve the look and feel.

I'd love to see sample footage of the Xcam in action from someone trustworthy. Like I've said before, you just don't know when you are looking at a bad product, or bad operation of the product.

This is the most decent review I've seen, and even still, Its not quite stable enough for my standards.

XCam 2013 FL Mini Stabaliser / Steadycam Overview Review - YouTube

Rob Cantwell
August 29th, 2013, 04:05 AM
hi Chris, thanks for that, I wouldn't be great at fabricating something like that, but i can see the benefit of having a monopod that can be left down and flown too.

I really like the design of the Steddiepod, are there any other manufacturers producing anything similar, I know Manfrotto produce one with very small feet but i dont think you could leave it unattended.

Nigel Barker
August 29th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Nigel, the Solo should be around $799 last I read.

@ Nigel: are those SteddiePod systems available in the UK? Seems like a good combo system.AFAIK there is no UK distributor. They can be found on eBay. I'll ask my pal where he bought his.

Matt, where did you buy your Steddiepod?

Chris Harding
August 29th, 2013, 05:36 AM
Hi Rob

I made mine using a monopod that actually did have 3 little feet but they were only good enough to leave the pod standing without a camera on it or maybe a bit of extra stability on the floor? I have since scrapped it and only use my big rig now..but it could be a useful addition!

Nigel is correct that the stedipod has a rotating grip that is roughly in the same place as a stedicam gimbal (bout 1/3rd up the shaft. You, of course only have directional control on one axis unlike a gimbal which has X, Y and Z movement.

For those interested here is a pretty comprehensive review

EventDV.net: The Event Videographer's Resource (http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/News/Feature/In-the-Field-The-Steddiepod-Multifunctional-Camera-Stabilizer-66892.htm)

Chris

Matt Brady
August 29th, 2013, 08:34 AM
I got mine direct from Barber TVP BarberTVP.com: Makers of Multiple Emmy Award Winning Products for the Entertainment Industry (http://www.barbertvp.com/)

Clive McLaughlin
August 29th, 2013, 09:19 AM
I'm shocked by how many people rate this Stediepod or at least are interested.

They are incomparable surely?

Unless its the versatility that attracts you all?

I need the quality of my work to be better than that I'm afraid!

Steddiepod vs Glidecam - YouTube

Peter Riding
August 29th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Agreed. I've changed my mind about the Steddie. I watched the video linked to by Chris and the Glidecam looks far better to me. same in the clip you've linked to.

Pete

Rob Cantwell
August 29th, 2013, 11:18 AM
thanks for the info, I agree that the glidecam has the edge, but then it's a pain in the ass to balance and you cant use it as a monopod or a boom, but it's better than just hand-holding!

Last weekend i had four cameras running, the most awkward was the monopod, it wasn't bad but i can see how it might have been much improved!

Rob Cantwell
August 29th, 2013, 11:24 AM

Clive McLaughlin
August 29th, 2013, 03:30 PM
I'm following Noa's lead and here is a selection of my stabilizer clips. This is shot on a Flycam Nano DSLR which cost me £120.

Its not bad at all, but no fine adjustment is a pain, and to many moving parts that could never lock down solid enough for my liking!

Flycam Nano DSLR Wedding Sample Showreel on Vimeo

Chris Harding
August 29th, 2013, 06:58 PM
I purely made mine for a set of tutorials I was making on video gear and never used it at a professional gig at all. Then again at that time I had my big Panasonics so an 8lb camera on a handheld monopod was a little tricky.

I know a vest and dual arm isn't practical indoors at receptions but I use my full rig at every wedding for the photoshoot video event with the bride and groom. Again it also depends on what cameras you have available! Even with a handheld Glidecam I would like to attempt a session with my Sony EA-50's (without doing 3 weeks of muscle building at the gym first) so on lighter cameras a small handheld rig would be a very useful addition.

Chris

James Palanza
August 29th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Actually just made a real quick little comparison of stabilizers (including the new 3-axis defy g2) and posted it in the stabilizer section, but here you go.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty much a total novice with these tools and this video footage was single, first takes using them. I can land some good shots usually but I have to take a few takes.

Defy 3-Axis G2, Glidecam HD1000, Steadicam Flyer

Novice Comparison - Defy 3-Axis G2, Glidecam HD1000, Steadicam Flyer - YouTube

The first clip is the flyer, the second is two takes of the G2, one holding the top middle grip only, and the other holding the outside bars. The third clip is the glidecam hd1000. The forth, 5th, 6h and so on clips are from earlier in the day with the Defy G2 at work.

My impressions:

Assuming you can get the Defy G2 working better/acceptably for yourself, here are some quick points about these tools.

Glidecam Hd1000 Pros
1. Quick Setup, Tear Down.
2. Super Cheap (400$?)
3. No Electronics
4. Works pretty darn good if you get practice with it
5. Arm fatigue. Though after all my use of it, I can hold it pretty much forever with a light GH2.

Flyer
1. Longest setup out of all three, requires some planning if you are trying to use at a live event.
2. Expensive - 4,000 or so by the time its all said and done.
3. Few Electronics (only used for monitoring) this thing is very rugged and well built, will last forever if taken care of.
4. Can produce stunningly smooth shots even when running, little fatique on arm thanks to vest, can hold static shots all day, can be inverted, low mode, etc.
5. Overall mass is larger so less effected by wind, easier to control (imo)

Defy G2
1. Pretty fast setup, once you learn how to use it, only took me about 5 minutes to get from box to going.
2. Expensive (2300)
3. Electronics - pretty much paying for technology here. The circuitry looks to be on the delicate side. This isn't something Id want to get rained on. Its not nearly as rugged as the other devices. Need to be delicate for sure.
4. Demo footage shows some pretty good shots but I was not able to replicate right out of the box.
5. Ease of use, you can literally just pick this thing up and go with it, zero practice.
6. Batteries to charge.

TLDR: The defy g2 isn't as "plug-in-and-amazing-footage-happens" as a lot of people believe, but I can see it having its place in the video market, though not as a total replacement for steadicams.

Noa Put
August 30th, 2013, 01:18 AM
Nice comparison! The defy g2 does seem to introduce vibration which is best visible when you where running with it at the end, it looks cool though being able to getting shots from eyelevel all the way till the ground in one move. I would prefer the cheap glidecam in run and gun situations, the defy looks quite fragile and maybe more suitable in controlled environments, not really at weddings. It did look when you made quicker turns that the defy didn't stay horizontal but swayed to the left or right, isn't the electonics supposed to keep the sled horizontal at all times?

Clive McLaughlin
August 30th, 2013, 02:20 AM
Anyone know why I might have started getting vibrations in my shots on each footstep since upgrading to a 6D on my Flycam? Its perfectly balanced, never had this problem with the 550D. Really annoying me!

Peter Riding
August 30th, 2013, 02:25 AM
One of these:

Photography and Cinema - Store Pistol Grip Camera Handle (1pc) (http://www.photographyandcinema.com/collections/camera-accessories/products/pnc-pistol-grip-camera-handle)

attached to one of these - with its built in stabilisation:

Panasonic X920 Full HD Camcorder - Black 3.5 inch LCD: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-X920-Full-Camcorder-Intelligent/dp/B00B170BKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377850651&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+920)

competes with a lot of what I'm seeing in the samples.

We may be missing a simple and obvious answer :- )

Pete

Noa Put
August 30th, 2013, 03:08 AM
Yeah right... :) Do you really think you can get similar shots like I posted with my blackbird with just a handle attached to a handicam? My cx730 works wonders when it comes to image stabilisation but I can't get anywhere near the shots I do with my steadicam. Unless you are able to show it I can only assume you are joking :)

Steve Bleasdale
August 30th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Steadipod shoddy pod I say... Seen loads of crap recent footage on vimeo with the steadipod, absolutly garbage and in the wrongs hands even worse....

Matt Brady
August 30th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Well what can I say? Almost all stabilizer equipment in the wrong hands will produce poor footage. Some are easier to use than others. Some are fast and easy to set up some require a lot more practice to master.

The above footage with the Steddiepod looks like the operator had the balance wrong or was inexperienced in using the device.

As with all stabilizers setting the balance is critical, after that its all about practice. So I will have to disagree with you Steve on this one.

I think the Steddiepod is a great device: quick to deploy, multi use, easy to handle, not to expensive, and robust enough to take a knock.

All in all a great tool to help tell the wedding day story.

Noa Put
August 30th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Is this not the steadipod you are talking about? These shots don't look that bad.

The Magic of the Steadypod - YouTube

Matt Brady
August 30th, 2013, 06:57 AM
That's the one. Some decent looking footage, if you know how to use it.

Practice makes perfect.

Noa Put
August 30th, 2013, 07:07 AM
What is weird at 01:55 in the video when he is filming that guys feet the photo before shows a girl holding the feet and the camera at the other end on ground level, however on the video, based on the shade on the ground the camera looks like it has been attached on the feet and the guy holds the monopod at the other end, wonder whats up with that.

James Palanza
August 30th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Nice comparison! The defy g2 does seem to introduce vibration which is best visible when you where running with it at the end, it looks cool though being able to getting shots from eyelevel all the way till the ground in one move. I would prefer the cheap glidecam in run and gun situations, the defy looks quite fragile and maybe more suitable in controlled environments, not really at weddings. It did look when you made quicker turns that the defy didn't stay horizontal but swayed to the left or right, isn't the electonics supposed to keep the sled horizontal at all times?

To be honest Noa, I might still be using the G2 incorrectly. I also think a panasonic GH2 is a little on the heavy side for this rig as well. I think I'm going to return it unfortunately, just isn't my cup of tea. They mentioned a 15 day return policy so I hope this doesnt become a problem !

Nigel Barker
August 30th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I don't think that the Steddiepod pretends to be an alternative to the Glidecam or any other stabiliser. I am sure that for sustained shots a proper stabiliser will always be better. The claim for the Steddiepod is that it enables you to quickly switch from a low shot on a monopod to a pseudo-crane shot to a floaty walking shot to a locked off camera all without changing camera or rig. In the rough of tumble of wedding coverage being able to quickly switch between different scenarios like this is worth a fortune. I respect the people who have praised the Steddiepod to me so I know that it works for them. Whether it will work for me or anyone else is another matter but I am inclined to give it a try. It's a lot cheaper than a Blackbird but it is more for all the other functions that I can see a use for it. If it's totally crap as a stabiliser then I still have my Glidecam but I have been overusing that so a Steddiepod might be a better alternative.