View Full Version : RAM allocation

Rafael Lopes
September 1st, 2013, 05:48 AM
Hi guys,

I've just read the "how much ram does premiere need" thread and I was going to post there but I didn't want to thread jack as I think this is a different matter.
I've just bought a new laptop with 16GB of RAM and I thought I was going to see a huge improvement over my old one (8gb RAM), but yesterday I tested exporting the same project on both and the old laptop took about 1h and the new one took around 39min. While the old one was giving it all it had to export the project, the new one bare broke a sweat and stayed around 8GB consumption during the entire process. Is there a way to force Premiere to use more RAM to go faster? I was thinking about getting 32GB of ram, but if Premiere will only use 8GB there is really no point.

Harm Millaard
September 1st, 2013, 10:30 AM
See Tweakers Page (http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page/83-balanced-systems)

It looks like you have other bottlenecks.

Rafael Lopes
September 1st, 2013, 10:53 AM
I do not. I have the latest gen core i7 with 2.4ghz (without turbo), 3 hybrid hard drives, a 2gb card optimized to work with premiere. This is all running on a win 7 ultimate 64bits that supports as much ram as you throw at it.

Harm Millaard
September 1st, 2013, 02:26 PM
Sorry, I offered some other idea, but since that is not the case, good luck. I bow out.

Bart Walczak
September 5th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Premiere only uses as much RAM as it needs. Perhaps it does not need more for this project, and as Harm said, there might be other bottlenecks (CPU/GPU maxed out, poor HDD performance). You might be using Dynamic Linked clips which only use 1 CPU core to encode, and the bottleneck is in the program architecture...

I assume you assigned more RAM in the preferences?

Rafael Lopes
September 7th, 2013, 12:47 PM
I've found out there is an option in preferences that allows you to select how much memory premiere leaves for the rest of the system :)