View Full Version : Slog2 and Recording Internally vs External Recorder

Graeme Hay
November 14th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Wondering if I'm shooting Slog2 I can record to the internal Codex (1080p 24fps FX setting) or if I'm shooting my foot in the grade because I need to push it so much vs. other cine gamma modes?

External Recorders which Record DNxHD or higher (Raw?) I'm assuming give me a lot more grading latitude.

Thanks

Olof Ekbergh
November 14th, 2013, 07:22 AM
I see a big difference especially if you want to push the grade.

Here is a video, you can download a higher res version, but they are still compressed.

O7Q HD on Vimeo

and here is another view of them after John Schultz edited my footage together nicely.

FS700 AVCHD vs Convergent Design Oddysey 7Q 2K RAW on Vimeo

Alister Chapman
November 18th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Everyone is focussing on dynamic range and forgetting that if you shoot SLog2 with 8 bit's it's only 16 grey shades per stop which makes subtle textures like skin tones less realistic. Cinegammas give skin tones and mid range between 35 and 40% more grey shades than SLog2, so they look much better. In addition SLOG2 need mid grey to be at 32%, white at 59% and skin tones at 45-50% to keep everything out of the very highly compressed upper curve. That means some big grading pushes in post (which also needs to be log based). Cinegammas work so much better when exposed correctly, even Cinegammas should be about 1 stop under conventional exposure ( skin tones 55-65%) to keep things in the best part of the curve. But as you have more shades and need to push them less the mid range ends up looking much better.

The only way to get more grading latitude is to use a linear raw recorder and at the moment there are only two options the Odyssey 7Q and Sony IFR5/R5. Any other external recorder with the FS700 is limited by the cameras 8 bit output, so although you can have fewer compression artefacts (which is a good thing and will improve how much you can grade) your still going to be restricted to 8 bit recording.