View Full Version : fs700 and speed booster

Greg Waite
December 2nd, 2013, 02:48 AM
is anyone using the metabones speed booster with the 700? just wondering if it works well with canon lenses?
ta
greg

Noah Yuan-Vogel
December 2nd, 2013, 10:57 AM
I'm using it, and even sold my non-SB metabones adapter. I don't own Canon brand lenses, but I have a set of Sigmas and it works great. It's pretty amazing, hardly notice any drawbacks and my 24-70 is a 17-50 f2.0... Not to mention my 18-35 f1.8 works well as a 16-24mm f1.3! (or wider if I don't mind vignetting)

Phil Goetz
December 2nd, 2013, 11:49 AM
Canon / Tokina test:

Sony NEX-FS700 with MetaBones Speed booster and Tokina 11-16 / Canon 24-105 on Vimeo

Phil Goetz
December 2nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
Metabones Speedboster problem on NEX-FS700: Problem AND solution

Omega question:

A Metabones Canon EF - E-mount Speed Booster with a SONY NEX-FS700 seems to have a malfunction. It flashes a white light when you are controlling the iris which shows up on the video when you play it back. We tried another Metabones Speed Boost with the same FS700 and same lens. No white flashes.

Have you seen this before?

Metabones answer:
It is not defect……it is normal…..
Because adapter can't support your Lens on Green mode,
so you need to setting your adapter to advance mode when use.
Try this:
Turn on camera first, and then install Lens to adapter, then install adapter on camera and hold the side button as the same time…..
Pls try again…..
Green mode (the default): when you stop down, f/1.4 -> f/1.6 -> f/1.7 -> f/2.0 -> etc.
when you open up the iris, the iris flashes: f/2.0 -> f/1.4 -> f/1.7 -> f/1.4 -> f/1.6 -> f/1.4
Advanced mode (press button while you mount the lens): when you stop down, f/1.4 -> f/1.6 -> f/1.7 -> f/2.0 -> etc.
when you open up, f/2.0 -> f/1.7 -> f/1.6 -> f/1.4 (no iris flash)
Green mode iris behavior is the same as Sony's A mount lenses with Sony's LA-EA1 lens adapter.
Advanced mode iris behavior is the same as a native Sony's E mount lens.

Omega follow up question:
Thanks, that fixes it momentarily. But once I turn the camera off it goes back to default mode. How do I keep it on advanced mode all the time? We have another other one that is always in advanced mode.

Metabones answer:
The user may select Green mode or Advanced mode as the default.
To change the default mode,
1, turn camera on,
2, hold down the WO button while attaching the adapter/lens,
3, while still holding down the WO button, turn camera body off,
4, detach adapter/lens.
The procedure to temporarily change mode for one session is exactly the
same as in previous versions.

We are @omegabroadcast on twitter. Follow us!

Paul Gale
December 5th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Cool tip about the default mode - I was wondering how to set that as a default :) thanks for posting.

Greg - I have the speed booster with VDSLR manual Samyang lenses (24,35,85) and they're superb for the price combined with the speed booster.

I also got a Canon 24-105 1:4 L IS USM and that's also fantastic with the speed booster as it becomes a 2.8 WITH image stabilisation and close to full frame. What's more, it's fairly inexpensive (well, compared to some other lenses).

Very happy with speed booster so far :)

Oh, if you've not seen it, metabones have listed all of the lenses that work or have any issues on their product page. From what I can see, most of the modern canon lenses seem to be ok.