View Full Version : A message for all of you

Vincent Oliver
December 18th, 2013, 09:16 AM
How many circles do you tick ?

Have a great Christmas and a better New Year

Greg Miller
December 18th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Dang! Some of the text is too small to print on the back of my business card.

Vincent Oliver
December 18th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Greg,

Just click on the thumbnail and it will enlarge.

Greg Miller
December 18th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Oh yes, I realize that. What I mean is that, if printed in 4 colors, at the size of a business card, the font size will make some of the text too small to read, or even to print clearly.

It's a good Venn diagram, though. Well done!

Hearing a hundred times is not as good as seeing once
That rather seems to deprecate the purpose of an audio forum. And it's certainly not true in the case of music!

Richard Crowley
December 19th, 2013, 02:04 AM
Hearing a hundred times is not as good as seeing once

That rather seems to deprecate the purpose of an audio forum. And it's certainly not true in the case of music!

Agree 100%. Audio-only communication/entertainment (radio) has been with us for nearly 100 years.

OTOH video-only entertainment (silent movies) has not been accepted by audiences for nearly 100 years.

Vincent Oliver
December 19th, 2013, 03:08 AM
The quote comes from my post, and yes I agree it is inappropriate for this audio forum, but I do post on several other forums here on DV info where it is appropriate. I can take my knuckles being wrapped on this forum - so sorry, but the quote stays.

Have a great and noise free Christmas

Brian Drysdale
December 19th, 2013, 03:41 AM
OTOH video-only entertainment (silent movies) has not been accepted by audiences for nearly 100 years.

Today, you tend to find that these are high end commercials, movies were never silent, they always ran with musical accomplishment. It was a good source of employment for musicians before the talkies.

Vincent Oliver
December 19th, 2013, 04:32 AM
"The Artist" - breaks the 100 year rule

Colin McDonald
December 19th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Is mine the only household in the world where the TV is sometimes watched with the sound muted?
Hitchcock films still work (but maybe that's because we've watched them so often before).
:-)

Derek Heeps
December 19th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Agree 100%. Audio-only communication/entertainment (radio) has been with us for nearly 100 years.

On the other hand , Powerpoint presentations sans sound are foisted on audiences daily all over the world .

Derek Heeps
December 19th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Is mine the only household in the world where the TV is sometimes watched with the sound muted?
Hitchcock films still work (but maybe that's because we've watched them so often before).
:-)

Nope , I regularly have something on TV with no sound and music playing on my hi-fi at the same time :)

Darren Levine
December 19th, 2013, 10:19 AM
love it. did you create this?

Vincent Oliver
December 19th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Unfortunately I didn't, it was posted on my Home page through Facebook.

Richard Crowley
December 19th, 2013, 11:30 AM
On the other hand , Powerpoint presentations sans sound are foisted on audiences daily all over the world .

1) "Foisted" being the operative word here. Have you EVER heard someone say "Hey, Reggie is presenting his new PowerPoint over in conference room 307, lets go see it!"
2) Likely 99.3% of all PowerPoint presentations are accompanied by a live commentary from the presenter, droning though it may be.
3) How many of those PowerPoint audiences do you think would leave if they could get away with it. I'm sure most of them could find something more entertaining or productive with that 20 minutes out of their lifespan.

Greg Miller
December 19th, 2013, 11:48 AM
How many of those PowerPoint audiences do you think would leave if they could get away with it. I'm sure most of them could find something more entertaining or productive with that 20 minutes out of their lifespan.

That would probably be true of the same presenter, with or without PowerPoint. Contrary to what some presenters think, PowerPoint does not make a boring presentation less boring.

Actually I think the quote is an over-generalization. It depends on the medium: a painting doesn't need music; music doesn't need visuals. Would you rather watch a symphony with the sound muted, or listen to a mime with the video turned off?

However, movies and video are the culmination of a progression: oral tradition (and music), written word (and music), drama (or music, or both combined). And so it seems to me that most writers continue to create scripts with a strong verbal component; therefore the hearing of the script is usually more important than the visual elements. (Of course I still read books, so my views may not be representative of the younger generation.)

Jon Fairhurst
December 19th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Just today I was in a phone meeting where the presenter said, "this is more of a story, so I didn't make a presentation." During the "story" there ended up being a number of lists and numbers. If you can't take notes fast enough or are distracted for a moment - poof - they're gone. With slides, the information is persistent. Then again, slides alone would have felt very empty and somewhat random.

For conveying information, give me both picture and sound please. :)

Steve House
December 20th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I teach Powerpoint, among other applications, in my 'day job' and one of the points I try to impress on my classes is that the presenter IS the presentation and no matter how well it's done, the Powerpoint deck is merely the visual aids that accompany it. Powerpoint makes assembling the slide show almost a no-brainer - the hard part is having something worthwhile to say.

Darren Levine
December 20th, 2013, 08:58 AM
A powerpoint presentation is the combination of both the powerpoint, and the presenter.

now....

The difference between a good presentation and a poor one, is which of those two devices actually conveys the information.

i have a lengthy powerpoint on film/video 101 stuff, and there's next to no information on any slide, it's all lead ins. The powerpoint is my guide and keeps me on track, but nearly all the actual info comes from me, not the slides. Statistics are a good general exception, any sort of numbers, graphs, visuals that are much better seen vs heard. Such as sensor sizes, i'll have all the different sensor size swatches up on screen and go into details about the differences.

Vincent Oliver
December 20th, 2013, 09:30 AM
The ear is mute, the lips deaf.
But the eye senses and speaks.
In it the world is reflected from without, and man from within.

Goethe

Warren Kawamoto
December 20th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Here is a similar concept, taken from a business sign on door

Greg Miller
December 20th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Or, to carry it one step further:

"Lack of planning on your part does not constitute a crisis on our part."

John Willett
December 24th, 2013, 06:04 AM

Agreed - the pictures are there only to help the audio sin in better.