View Full Version : how can I tell if my DVD player is region free

Dylan Couper
November 29th, 2002, 11:09 AM
I want to play some non North American DVD's on my JVC DVD player. I don't know if it will play other regions (probably not), but how do I check? I looked the unit over and it doesn't say anything. The instuction manual is long gone. Is there anyway to find out short of putting a non region 1 DVD in it?

Rob Lohman
November 29th, 2002, 11:30 AM
If it is by any of the big names (which JVC) is there is a garantuee
like 99% that it is not region free/selectable. So any other
region than 1 (for you) will not work!!

There are shops that can 'fix' this problem for you.

HTH!

Rik Sanchez
November 29th, 2002, 08:31 PM
I bought a Marantz DVD player and the staff at the shop gave me the code to turn it into a region free player, check out this site and look up your player in the player link and if it's listed maybe you can run the hack.

http://www.regionfreedvd.net/

John Locke
November 29th, 2002, 11:00 PM
To expand on Rik's comment...a lot of people might not realize that making your DVD player "all region" doesn't require opening it up and doing anything internally. All you need is your remote...and the code.

Dylan Couper
November 30th, 2002, 12:31 AM
Rik, excellent link. My DVD player wasn't on there unfortunately.
Any other sites like that one?

I'm surprised that so many players can be unlicked with the remote!

Rik Sanchez
November 30th, 2002, 12:54 AM
I found that site by typing in "region free DVD player" into Yahoo. it brought up a bunch of other sites but I didn't look at them.

Since your DVD player isn't on the list, you might have to get another player, be sure to ask the staff if they know if any of their players can be turned into a region free one. BTW, how long have you have had that player?

John Locke
November 30th, 2002, 02:24 AM
Dylan,
I'm surprised that so many players can be unlicked with the remote!
I think it's better to just refrain from licking your DVD player in the first place.

Frank Granovski
November 30th, 2002, 03:36 AM
Rik, thanks for that link. I never knew this was possible! I'm going to through it up on:

http://www.dvfreak.com/links.htm

Dylan Couper
November 30th, 2002, 11:30 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by John Locke : Dylan,

I think it's better to just refrain from licking your DVD player in the first place. -->>>

Can't help it.
All black and shiny...
Those little chrome buttons...
And blinking green and blue display
Mmm....
Uh...
Gotta go!!

John Locke
November 30th, 2002, 12:21 PM
LOL