View Full Version : Broadcast monitor Connection

Guillermo Ibanez
February 5th, 2014, 04:39 AM
Hi,

I've recently been given a Sony Broadcast monitor (picture of the back attached) which I'm planning to use for color correction and general viewing device. so a couple of questions:

- I think I need some sort of interface to plug the computer to the monitor? Would something like the
DeckLink Mini Monitor or DeckLink SDI work?
Blackmagic Design: DeckLink Models (http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/decklink/models/)

- On that case, whats the difference between them?

thanks in advance!

Guille

Edward Carlson
February 5th, 2014, 10:45 AM
This monitor only has composite and component video inputs. You will need a video interface that outputs wither one of these signals. The DeckLink Studio can output composite, but it is standard definition.

Guillermo Ibanez
February 5th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Thanks for your reply.

Sorry for the ignorance but I'm getting a bit confused. I thought that the monitor was SD anyway so does it matter if the video interface only outputs SD signal?

Thanks

Edward Carlson
February 5th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Yes, exactly. Composite is SD, so you need to output SD. Most modern cards output HD, since HD is the current standard.

Jeff Pulera
February 5th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Hi Guillermo,

You said in another posting that you do 100% HD editing, so this is NOT the monitor for you. Yes, output devices like BlackMagic and Matrox may be able to convert HD > SD, but then you have a small, letterboxed SD video, too small to properly view and also the SD and HD colorspace is different. Just a bad idea.

I didn't see what NLE you use, assuming Premiere? You can simply set up a second computer display as a full-screen HD preview, and that display could be color-calibrated using available tools. Or a unit like the Matrox MXO2 Mini comes with an HDMI calibration software. But definitely monitor your HD as HD.

Thanks