View Full Version : Tales.of wonders and woes - UWOL 29

Pages : [1] 2

Trond Saetre
March 1st, 2014, 02:47 PM
Same procedure as always:
The good, the bad and everything in between about the production of your uwol 29 entries.

Bring the stories!

Ralph Gereg
March 1st, 2014, 08:27 PM
Wow, everybody must be hard at work putting together their themes, hence no responses yet. I've been Wondering with Woe what I'm going to do with LIGHT...... waiting to get struck by LIGHTning with a great idea.... keep checking back here for updates on how everybody else is doing.... hoping I might be enLIGHTened a bit....hahaha OK so, enough of the cheesy-ness and back to work on my theme.

Mike Sims
March 1st, 2014, 11:01 PM
Yes! I managed to unbrick my new camera (which is another way of saying that I managed to brick my new camera). A failing SD card reader corrupted a firmware update file when I downloaded it and when I tried to update- whammo. Bricksville. After jumping through a bunch of hoops I was able to flash a new firmware image and everything is working again. It isn’t my main camera but even so- WooHoo! I hope Geir Inge can get his cameras working again soon and that none of the rest of you are having any other major woes.

Trond Saetre
March 2nd, 2014, 06:13 AM
Good you have your camera up and running again, Mike. Bricks are no fun!

I was out filming a tiny bit yesterday. But my entry will of course be unofficial and not part of the judging since I knew the theme in advance.

Bring it, everyone!!

Dale Guthormsen
March 2nd, 2014, 02:02 PM
Good afternoon,

Well I spent yesterday getting the big camera out of the case and prepping it, we have a film job this evening and then I am out and on this film. Nothing set in stone, I am going to shoot everything of interst and then see if I can make something of it. Not my usual mode of work; I usually like to be fully organized and ready, but that has not seemed to work for me this last year and a half, so we're winging it and seeing if i can actually finish!!

At least the camera is working Tronde, so don"t send that letterbomb yet!!

dale

Trond Saetre
March 4th, 2014, 01:08 AM
At least the camera is working Tronde, so don"t send that letterbomb yet!!
Always nice when the equipment is cooperating, right.

Kevin Railsback
March 4th, 2014, 01:54 PM
In typical Yeti fashion, I have my music track picked out. So now I can start trying to feel a film after listening to it a few hundred more times.

Mike Sims
March 4th, 2014, 03:47 PM
I’m running true to form also. At this point I have no idea what I’m going to do although I have some few dozen good ideas that I’m not going to do. Pretty typical for me.

Paul Wood
March 4th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Well I have a pretty good Plan A, subject to being able to schedule shooting with my subject(s) at the weekend.

Still working on Plan B etc, and I haven't even thought about the music!

Kevin Railsback
March 4th, 2014, 05:42 PM
I always pick my music before I even pick up the camera.

Bill Thesken
March 4th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I have a great idea that's nearly impossible to pull off without some on-camera help as usual, and it's a little off the wall which also seems par for the course. I guess half the fun is pushing limits.

Ralph Gereg
March 4th, 2014, 08:46 PM
I guess it's nice to know I'm not the only one having a time coming up with my Plan-A. I don't feel so bad when I'm seeing some of the pros on here also in the same boat. I signed up with a couple ideas but for the life of me can't fathom how I'd make Light work with either one. I have a couple other ideas bouncing around the ole grey matter, but waiting for that spark of inspiration to bring it all together!

Geir Inge
March 5th, 2014, 10:06 AM
I have to shoot this with my Canon EOS 600 camera and maybe I'll use my GoPro camera too.
The reason is that my two main cameras need to be repaired :/
I have been hiking at Kvamsoy to get some ideas, but up till now I'm really blank.
Is this the seccond time we have "light" as a theme, or am I wrong on this one?
By the way, I like the theme very much :)

Trond Saetre
March 5th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Is this the seccond time we have "light" as a theme, or am I wrong on this one?
By the way, I like the theme very much :)
I hope not. I searched the archive before desiding the theme, and couldn't find we have used that theme before. (Archive was only up to challenge #19, which reminds me I forgot to have a look at the newer themes we have used, sorry guys.)
Anyway, next time the theme will definitely not have been used before.

EDIT:
Just had a look at our Vimeo archive as well. As far as I can find out, "Light" has not been a theme before. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The 600D is a good camera, Geir Inge. I'm sure you can produce something great.

Bill Thesken
March 5th, 2014, 11:12 AM
UWOL #20 April 2011
Theme - Light
I remember because I made a little film called Light of the World.
Still a great theme!

Kevin Railsback
March 5th, 2014, 11:19 AM
UWOL is a film challenge so the people that submitted films for the previous Light theme have a opportunity to go in a different direction this time around.

I know I'll be shooting something for sure this time around. Panasonic called and said they just got in a pre-release of the PX270 so they're going to ship it to me for a few days to test out.
So most certainly going to be out using it for this challenge!

Trond Saetre
March 5th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Thanks, Bill.
Next one will be unique!

Congratulations with the new camera, Kevin! I look forward to see what you can come up with, and what you think of the new cam.

Marj Atkins
March 5th, 2014, 11:58 AM
We were at a game lodge at the weekend and it was quite an experience. Saw soggy leopard, lion, giraffes and zebras amongst other animals; birds were sopping wet and looked quite bedraggled; had quite a few breath-taking roller coaster rides along the muddy dirt roads - mostly clay. It was a really fun time but what dull dreary weather (doesn't look like it will be clearing soon either).

Found lots of reflections from puddles and raindrops but nothing much else for this theme!! Nice candle light too.

I don't have a shortage of ideas but most entail too much work so I have decided without much ado on a very simple theme and will try tackling it in a different way this time round. No idea how just yet.

Hope everyone finds inspiration soon and then some fun!

Kevin Railsback
March 5th, 2014, 03:29 PM
I have an idea for my Plan A that I think would be really cool of I can figure out how to tell the story right.
It really won't fit the theme at all if it's not told right so I need to figure that out.

I had to send myself an email with some suggestions about the idea because if I just looked at the idea I'd have no clue what I was thinking to fit the theme.

I'll spend a couple days thinking about it and if I can't figure out how to make it fit the theme I'll move on to Plan B

Ralph Gereg
March 5th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Well I think I've finally started figuring things out....

Here are my (tongue-in-cheek) goals:

Plan A = Make a video that doesn't suck
Plan B = Make a video that doesn't get me banned from DVInfo
Plan C = I'm still figuring this one out yet....

Have no fear though, I am following the "have fun" rule without deviation!

Trond Saetre
March 7th, 2014, 07:51 AM
I am following the "have fun" rule without deviation!
FUN is the key word.
Still plenty time until deadline.

Kevin Railsback
March 8th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Spent the day yesterday setting up the PX270 to how I think it will match my 250.
Headed out tonight after work to shoot for a couple hours.

Glad we spring forward an hour tomorrow. The extra hour of daylight will certainly help me since my next day off is the 22nd and I have to go to Illinois to work o a feature film I've been the DP on since December.

Mike Sims
March 9th, 2014, 08:31 AM
OK. I’ve got an idea. I’ve got a plan. I’ve got a script. I have the equipment lined up. I have a cast and crew (both me). The only thing I am lacking is some cooperative temperate weather. March weather is always problematic in Texas. You can’t trust the forecasts a few hours ahead and grey skies and wind are quite common. At least I’m not up to my Sachtler in snow drifts like some of you guys! While I’m waiting for a shooting window I had better start thinking about that elusive Plan B.

Trond Saetre
March 9th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Mike, sounds like we both are being challenged by the weather. Storm and the wet element ruined my filming plans for this weekend.
Better luck another day.

Paul Wood
March 9th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Well, at least I have the weather! - Sun and 17º over the weekend.

My plan A is coming together - met up with the people involved and I have a draft of a shooting schedule. Due to the commitments of people involved, its going to be a one hit affair, so I will also bring up plan B, just in case!

Ralph Gereg
March 10th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Well, at least I have the weather! - Sun and 17º over the weekend.

case!

Paul, I DO hope you are saying 17 Celsius! :)

17 °C is equal to 62.6 °F.

Doing the conversion, that's a tad on the chilly side for my taste, but good sweater weather I suppose.

Marj Atkins
March 10th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Add me to the list of people being challenged by the weather - we have had more rain in the past week than we had for the entire month of March last year! Weather forecasts state that rain will continue for another two weeks. Not good - looks like more flooding is on the cards.

Can't find some of the wildlife that is really common around here - they have disappeared due to the wet conditions. Fortunately I'm still at the planning stage so hopefully I will be ready by the time the rain stops. (Problem is, things take a long time to dry out and get back to normal. I think Plan B will probably have to be used.)

Hope your knee is feeling better and getting stronger after your op Steve - not a nice op to have to go through I believe.

Marj

Trond Saetre
March 10th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Anyone not challenged by weather this round?
December was record wet (last 100 years), January was record cold and dry, February was record warm, not sure what March ends up like... Crazy weather.

Was out and about looking for the light to brighten my plan B. Got a mix of sunshine, calm winds, rain and strong winds that nearly made my tripod fall over, rain, more sunshine... all in a few hours.
Hopefully some of the footage can be used. Now I'm on plan C I think.

Ralph Gereg
March 10th, 2014, 11:36 AM
I'm definitely NOT being challenged by the weather here in Florida. Weather has for the most part been perfect... Sunny and 75 to 85 F.

My challenge so far has just been making time and energy to devote. When I have the time, I don't have the energy. When I'm feeling energetic, I don't have the time. I'ts almost a bit of a paradox.

Some good news though, I think I finally have an idea that I think may work... just working on wrapping a plan around it! I just hope this Time/Energy problem doesn't become a showstopper. I guess I will just have to push through and get it done.

Paul Wood
March 12th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Yes, Ralph,

17ºC - Doesn't seem like much, especially after having spent the best part of the last two years in tropical Brazil, but its better than the 2ºC we had until recently!

The rain is holding off, so far - let's wait until I come to shoot before I put aside the Plan B!
I'm managing to get some B roll done anyway....

Trond Saetre
March 12th, 2014, 03:30 PM
How is Spain, Paul? I look forward to see what you come up with in your new location.

Andrew Hood
March 13th, 2014, 03:24 AM
Well I have ideas, it's more a question of is it practical - locations, somebody to operate camera, or be on it, etc... Same old story
And I need to arrange picking up my 'new' (for me) Sony FS100 - then figure out how to use it and put G-log on there. And probably get more memory cards. Should be fun to play with (actually I hear the ergonomics are rubbish, but we'll see) and see what I can capture.
And I don't think I can light any fires, we're still in fire restrictions. They're still trying to put out the coal fire from weeks ago.

Finn Yarbrough
March 13th, 2014, 10:13 AM
http://i.imgur.com/YzquUZA.jpg

Ralph Gereg
March 13th, 2014, 10:20 AM
http://i.imgur.com/YzquUZA.jpg

Finn, is that you in the picture? You don't look so happy or warm and cozy even. But I could be mistaken....

Geir Inge
March 15th, 2014, 02:15 AM
As my main cameras are sent to the "camera doctor", I have to settle for one that I am less familiar with, Canon EOS 600D. It's not really a film camera :/
Considering buying a Canon EOS 5D Mark III, during the year. Anybody have experience with this camera?
Have been out filmed a bit the last days, yet I lack a key element to my my film.
Must hunt some more, I guess.

Wish you all good luck.

Trond Saetre
March 15th, 2014, 03:33 AM
Considering buying a Canon EOS 5D Mark III, during the year. Anybody have experience with this camera?
Lots of people use that camera over in the wedding video subforum. You might ask there.

Finn Yarbrough
March 15th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Finn, is that you in the picture? You don't look so happy or warm and cozy even. But I could be mistaken....

No big deal, just springtime in the Frozen North. I made it back alive.

Marj Atkins
March 20th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Seems to be a little quiet around here lately.

Our weather has changed for the better so I am making progress slowly. I must say that due to the rain I had to think this theme through in a different way and make plans I would otherwise not have made. It has been fun working this out. Not sure how it will turn out in the end but rule 11 definitely applied here.

Hope that you are all progressing well.

Trond Saetre
March 20th, 2014, 12:59 PM
We got plenty of rain here as well. And that doesn't fit in with the shots I already filmed the day we had a bit sunshine a week ago.

Still plenty time to have fun before deadline. :)
Hope you all do well.

One film is submitted already.

Ralph Gereg
March 20th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Well, here we are 20 days into the month... and I have 2 minutes of unusable footage in the recycle bin so far. Heading out tomorrow to hopefully get the bulk of what I need for the concept im working on.... got my fingers crossed that the weather cooperates and the day goes smooth.... tomorrow may be my only chance to get the footage I need before the end of the month, what with my work schedule blowing up all over the place now that I've committed myself to a "project" (Murphy's law kicking in as per usual I guess).

Paul Wood
March 21st, 2014, 03:06 PM
Hi all,

Trond, Spain is great, as it always was, but we are certainly noting the ¨crisis!¨ Still awaiting our removals van to arrive from Brazil with most of my lighting kit, but I am assured it will arrive by the end of the month.......

Hopefully, Saturday is my main shooting day, weather permitting, but I've been working on some graphics and music in the meantime.
Looking forward to the weekend to begin to get things together for my first UWOL from the northern hemisphere!

Trond Saetre
March 22nd, 2014, 01:44 AM
Paul, you still haven't received all your stuff yet? That's taken a long while now.

Ralph, good luck with today's filming. Hope you get what you want and need.

Andrew Hood
March 22nd, 2014, 06:42 PM
I think I've simplified my idea enough to make it achievable. So now it comes down to the weather being OK on my days off to get what I need. And if I can make something good from the idea.
I have the FS100, learning how to use it - but I'm having issues with my Metabones adapter when it drifts the iris and occasionally does a focus near infinity for no reason (manual everything on the camera). Maybe it doesn't like my Sigma 50mm 1.4. I can always use the kit Sony 18-200mm but I want some DOF control. Many of the shots will be short, so it might be alright. Or maybe I can rotate the lens in its mount so the pins disengage.

Mike Sims
March 23rd, 2014, 11:27 AM
I started on two projects that had to be abandoned so I’ve made a late start on Plan C. I think I got the last of the footage I needed yesterday when it was warm and sunny. This morning is cold, grey and very windy. I should have enough time for editing so I think I’m in with a chance of finishing. Good-luck to anyone else that has made a late start of it.

Ralph Gereg
March 24th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Thanks Trond, unfortunately I didnt make it out on Friday or Saturday...but I was able to spend the entire day Sunday out on the Myakka River trying to get my shots. Weather was perfect, water was glassy smooth and uh-oh the river was full of boats... thus scaring away my subject matter, couldnt get a good shot to save my life. I did get some stuff I'm hoping to use, but I wont know for sure until I can download and review later this evening.

My last hope may lie in getting some very last minute much needed shots next Saturday. I am still bound and determined to submit an entry, I already know it wont be my best work, but at this point I just want to finish the Marathon, so to speak.

Paul Wood
March 25th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Well, I managed to capture my footage OK on Saturday, although I fell a bit hampered by a lack of kit (still in the removals!), and have put together a final edit on my laptop.

A bit of a change in subject for me this time, but we'll see how it works!
Ready for the upload! (but I'll probably wait in case I get more inspiration during the week!)

Good luck to all in your efforts!

Trond Saetre
March 27th, 2014, 05:27 AM
tick...tock...tick...tock... final weekend is coming up and deadline still 4 long days away.
Grab your gear and get your final shots for your spectacular "light"films.

Let's make this one the challenge where everyone submits. Wouldn't that be cool! :)
Good luck, everyone!

Remember to follow rule 11! It is critical important!

Mike Sims
March 27th, 2014, 01:30 PM
I just uploaded my video. It sure does feel good to avoid the shark tank for the first time in a year. Four days to go and there are already four videos uploaded. This bodes well…
Good-luck, all.

Ralph Gereg
March 27th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Oh yeah, the pressure and the tension is mounting by the minute....

Finn Yarbrough
March 28th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Should we make our submitted videos public now, or will Trond do it for us when the judging starts? I'm going to be out on a shoot, so I won't be able to unlock mine right on the deadline.