View Full Version : PMW-300 and Fujinon XS chromatic aberrations

Meng Li
March 3rd, 2014, 01:37 AM
So I have been running around the entire city taking some places of views in the last few days. When I started reviewing the footages I have noticed that there are some chromatic aberrations in the picture, especially the not focused area, and thin objects (focused) in the wide angle. The new firmware I have updated seemed to have not solved any problems of it for 3rd party lenses.

My lens is Fujinon XS17x5.5BRM. Generally it gives a high pic quality and I am quite satisfied with it, but this problem is kinda bothering me a bit.

I have read an article here:
[opendtv] Update: Lens Performance on Small Imagers - opendtv - FreeLists (http://www.freelists.org/post/opendtv/Update-Lens-Performance-on-Small-Imagers)

and it says that both XS and HS lenses have such problem, with XS a bit more severe. Also it says this:

-The XS series lens exhibited strong aberration at wider angles.
-The VCL lens did not have strong monochromatic aberrations at any focal length (squares staid square) and no apparent chromatic aberration when focussed or not.

So should I stay with the Fujinon when taking wide angle shots with better resolution and sharpness, or switch back to stock lens? Also, is there any way to clean this colour aberration in the post processing stage, like using some filters? Thanks.

The pictures are attached here. In my previously posted test footage you can also see a bit of it.