View Full Version : What to do when you don't want eight tracks of audio?

Steve Siegel
March 29th, 2014, 07:09 PM
IMay be a silly question, but the manual is silent on this one. I have my PMW300 set up to use only a single external mic. It is plugged into channel 1. Audio controls on the side for channel 1 and 2 are set to auto. All other menu choices pertaining to audio have been left at factory settings. Despite this simple setup, when I upload a file into my NLE (Premiere Pro), I end up with eight identical mono audio tracks. They take up practically the whole workspace. I have seen elsewhere that the PMW 300 can put out 8 audio tracks. That' s fine, but how do you turn them off when you only want one? It only occurs in UDF, not in FAT. Thanks for any advice.

Alister Chapman
March 30th, 2014, 02:50 PM
You can't turn them off. It's part of the XDCAM MXF standard (XAVC too), so for the files to be fully XDCAM compliant they have to have 8 tracks.

Andy Wilkinson
March 30th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Yes I get this. Very simple to delete the unwanted audio tracks in Prem Pro though to get your workspce back. Just hover over the left hand "audio track label" and right click and then select delete audio track...or other ways to do it too.

Doug Jensen
March 30th, 2014, 08:03 PM
The best way of dealing with the extra channels in Premiere is to select all the clips in your bin after you import them into the project. Then right-click on them and choose "Modify Audio Channels". Then change the number of channels to 2, 1, 0, or whatever you want. Done in one step. Now you won't be dragging an 8-channel mess onto your sequence with every clip.

Steve Siegel
March 31st, 2014, 03:52 PM
Thanks, Doug. Worked perfectly!