View Full Version : Atomos announces $295 Ninja Star - HDMI ProRes recorder w/o monitor

Zach Love
April 8th, 2014, 06:36 AM
Ninja Star | Atomos (http://www.atomos.com/ninja-star/)

More or less a smaller Ninja, w/o the screen & uses CFast cards instead of 2.5" drives.

Personally, I was intrigued until I saw the price of CFast cards. So I'm sure this thing will look extremely cool in 2-3 years when you can get a 120GB CFast card for $120 instead of $1,200.

Kinda wish this had Compact Flash instead, as the AJA Ki Pro Mini has already proved that you can record ProRes to CF. Still neat to see another small & inexpensive recorder on the market.

Joe Ogiba
April 8th, 2014, 08:08 AM
The current Ninja with screen and 480GB Sandisk SSD for $294 is much cheaper than this with four 120gb Sandisk CFast cards at $1,200 each.

Mark Williams
April 8th, 2014, 08:53 AM
The is an SD to CFast card adapter sold over in Europe. Delock CFast Adapter for SD / MMC Memory Cards (http://www.delock.com/produkte/G_61871/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en)

Jeff Pulera
April 8th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Zach,

According to Atomos, you can get 128GB for $350, since you only need storage meeting the older 1.0 specification.

Thanks

Darren Levine
April 8th, 2014, 10:27 AM
i don't get it.

It's HD, meanwhile, everyone else is onto 4k, even their new monitor/recorder is 4k, but it's too big for some of us, if it were 4k and a few $$ more, it would be darn attractive. But i think as of this year people will be investing in HD products a lot less than UHD

Zach Love
April 8th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Darren,

I still think there is a lot of life left in 1080. A lot of content will be watched on mobile devices, which 1080 is overkill for. Further, many people won't have 4K sets in their house for years to come.

Even then, I still think 1080 is going to look good enough for a lot of applications, even on a 4K screen.

Zach,

According to Atomos, you can get 128GB for $350, since you only need storage meeting the older 1.0 specification.

Thanks

Didn't catch that. So in a year then things will be more affordable? As hopefully that 128GB card drops to $100 (or less) in the next 12 months (give or take).

Darren Levine
April 8th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Darren,

I still think there is a lot of life left in 1080. A lot of content will be watched on mobile devices, which 1080 is overkill for. Further, many people won't have 4K sets in their house for years to come.

Even then, I still think 1080 is going to look good enough for a lot of applications, even on a 4K screen.

Oh you misread me, i didn't say that 1080 was dead, i said that new purchases i believe will favor 4k. i'll be on my c100 for quite some time, but the rx10 was the last 1080 camera i will ever buy. keeping up with the times is part of the business, and buying into 1080 at this point in time is investing in something that will of course eventually keel to 4k expectations

Ken Ross
April 8th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Darren,

Keep in mind that if you never buy a 4K display, a 4K camcorder as many owners have found, looks considerably better when downscaled to HD than an HD camcorder shooting native HD. It's far more detailed when starting out in 4K and ending up with HD.

Zach Love
April 8th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Ahh, OK. Still I kinda think that this makes sense for how cheap it is, even if it is only HD.

I'd love to jump on the 4K bandwagon, it's just I don't see a need for it right now & by the time the work I do would request 4K, any 4K camera I buy is going to be a lot cheaper. So investing in something I'll use in 1-5 years from now is just going to lose me money.

It's similar to I never buy a hard drive until I need a hard drive. No matter how good new ones on sale are, it is almost always going to be a better idea to wait to buy.

It is almost the same w/ this Ninja Star. I don't have a current need for it, so while I think it is really cool, I'm not going to buy it, especially until CFast cards get cheaper.

Bill Koehler
April 8th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Ninja Star | Atomos (http://www.atomos.com/ninja-star/)
Kinda wish this had Compact Flash instead, as the AJA Ki Pro Mini has already proved that you can record ProRes to CF.

And Black Magic Design has already demonstrated you can record ProRes to SDHC/SDXC.

Luis de la Cerda
April 9th, 2014, 01:39 AM
It should've come with Compactflash instead. I have lots of 600x, 800x and 1000x cards lying around from every time we upgrade our dslrs.

Mark Williams
April 9th, 2014, 07:37 AM
If you are interested in shooting 60fps the Star will record 720p60 but not 1080p60.

Zach Love
April 9th, 2014, 08:39 AM
And Black Magic Design has already demonstrated you can record ProRes to SDHC/SDXC.

Technically yes, but how many cards can do ProRes HQ? I remember seeing a couple bloggers get pre-production Pocket Cams & not being able to record anything until they ordered the fastest of the fast SDXC cards. And these are guys that already had a LOT of fast SDXC / SDHC cards, just not a single one of them worked with the Pocketcam.

Granted, the Ninja Star can do ProRes & ProRes LT, so you wouldn't need as fast of cards. Still I think possibly CF cards would've been a better bet. It comes down to availability & price for cards that are fast enough.

Though since the Star only needs 1.0 Cfast cards & you can get one of those for $350ish / 120GB, it doesn't seem like it will be DOA.

Anyone that wants a really, extremely light & small ProRes recorder, it looks like this is the one to get. And then $300 for the recorder + $350 for a card really isn't expensive at all.

Michael Kraus
April 9th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Seems like a good partner to the C100 or 5D III for those wishing for a simple and sweet upgrade without having to buy more accessories for your accessories.

Darren Levine
April 9th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Considering it maxes out at 220mbit, using the Delock CFast Adapter for SD should be just fine along with SD cards with a write speed of 40MB and higher. pretty darn affordable

Darren Levine
April 9th, 2014, 12:23 PM
the two other things that are bothersome: are those hdmi MICRO connectors?

and i think i would have preferred a digit lcd screen rather than all those indicator lights

Evan Donn
April 11th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Seems like a good partner to the C100 or 5D III for those wishing for a simple and sweet upgrade without having to buy more accessories for your accessories.

Or for a GoPro - they were actually giving away GoPro & Ninja Star combos at their booth, so I think this is a big target market for them.

Gary Huff
April 11th, 2014, 12:48 PM
the two other things that are bothersome: are those hdmi MICRO connectors?

i think HDMI connections get a bad rap in general. Perhaps I just pick my cables wisely, but I have yet to have an HDMI cable connection come loose from my Ninja-2/Blade. Of course, we'll see what happens with microHDMI, but I'm not really that worried about it. There are only so many options you can choose that are a) compatible and b) fit the form factor.

The Ninja Star was a product that I instantly poo-poo'd when I heard about it, but seeing it on the show floor, I realized how much of a boon it would be for my C100 for the times I want ProRes and want to go light (where the built-in LCD would be more than enough monitor for me). I love my Blade as a monitor (and equally so as a recorder once that damn pixel-shift nonsense is fixed), but this will definitely have a place in my kit, especially once I get my GH4.

I think the adapter for now is a good idea for those with the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards, but I understand why Atomos went the way they did. They need it to be reliable and I am sure they have untold amount of grief aimed at them from people buying 5,200RPM drives and trying to use them handheld.

Tony Maceo
April 13th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Since their product page has it sitting next to a DJI quadcopter and giving away GoPro combos, Its seems that keep it lightweight and small, yet high write rates with CFast was the way to go targeting the UAV video enthusiasts. Drone video shooters who want to capture in prores won't balk at $300-ish price for a 128gb CFast card. Early adoption has it's costs.

Betsy Moore
April 19th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Any bets when a 4k Ninja star 2 will come out? That's what would excite me?

Pavel Sedlak
April 20th, 2014, 04:24 AM
This is just for me and my C100, I like its small size and long batery life (5hours).

Phil Goetz
May 1st, 2014, 07:31 PM
Partying with CFAST 1.0 like it was 2011....

Phil Goetz
July 15th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Has anyone used C-Fast cards that are NOT these in the ninjastar?

Atomos - 64GB C-Fast Card
MFR#ATOMCFT064

Atomos - 128GB C-Fast Card
MFR#ATOMCFT128

ATOMOS Ninja Star (http://www.omegabroadcast.com/product-p/ato-atomnjs001-90-4962.htm)

Phil Goetz
July 22nd, 2014, 08:46 AM
You can find detailed information on the Atomos CFast cards here:
CFast Media | Atomos (http://www.atomos.com/cfast-media/)

Buy the Ninja Star from a DVinfo sponsor:
ATOMOS Ninja Star (http://www.omegabroadcast.com/product-p/ato-atomnjs001-90-4962.htm)