View Full Version : Vegas 13 SLOW render

Ryan Laytart
April 30th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I've upgraded from Vegas 9 to 13, and the render time is ridiculously slow in 13. The same project that renders in 10 minutes in version 9 is now taking an hour and 10 minutes. I've checked all the settings, and they're identical.

Any ideas?

Dan Herrmann
April 30th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Without knowing your set up I am guessing the new software 13.0 rely on the GPU more than 9.0 did.

Ryan Laytart
April 30th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Another issue I was having, but have now resolved, was a problem with the border plug-in. The border was not binding correctly to the floating event (would only bind to top and bottom, but would default on the sides, leaving a transparent area on either side).

Upon disabling GPU acceleration, that issue is resovled, somehow.

My main computer specs are:
Windows 7 64bit
Six-core i7-3930K @3.20GHz
10gb memory
Nvidia GeForce GT 530

Ryan Laytart
March 16th, 2015, 09:26 AM
I'm still having the same problem with 13. I bought the upgrade, last Summer, and it has essentially been a digital paper-weight. A lengthy support run-around with the Sony team proved to be unfruitful. It's as though Vegas 13 completely ignores my six core i7 processor.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Jeff Harper
March 16th, 2015, 11:41 AM
No. As a last resort have you reformatted your hard drive and reinstalled windows?

I install Vegas before anything else after installing windows and getting everything set up.

Ryan Laytart
March 16th, 2015, 03:21 PM
That definitely IS a last resort. Not prepared to go through re-installing everything, as Vegas 9 is still doing the job. Some of the Vegas 13 features look useful, so it'd be nice to use it. I was just hoping someone else had experienced the issue.

George Palmier
March 18th, 2015, 07:22 AM
Are you choosing "Render using CPU only"? If not try to render in this way

Duane Adam
March 18th, 2015, 08:52 AM
I have a similar setup and 13 renders quickly on my computer. I have maximum number of rendering threads set at 4, seem to remember any less would cause slow renders.

Jeff Harper
March 19th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Read this thread below. His problem was not the same as yours but I wonder if you were to try uninstalling all Vegas Plug ins, uninstalling 13, then reinstalling 13 and your plugins if it would help.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/526565-cant-launch-vegas-pro-13-a.html

Based on my past experience, a bad install of Vegas can be tough to figure out. I just start with a clean hard drive and go from there, always seems to fix things. In your case, you don't need it badly enough to go to all that trouble so maybe above idea might help.

Ryan Laytart
March 20th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Are you choosing "Render using CPU only"? If not try to render in this way

I don't actually see this option. Am I missing it, somewhere?

I will try your suggestion about plug-ins and re-installs, Jeff.

Duane, I have mine set at 12... but 12 cores is a result of hyperthreading. Perhaps setting it to the actual physical 6 cores will make a difference. I'll try it and get back with you.

Duane Adam
March 23rd, 2015, 11:07 AM
If it's slow at 12, will probably be slow with less. Mine was crashing at 12 and reducing the number of threads seemed to fix that while still rendering reasonably fast.

Ryan Graves
May 28th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Whenever I render a video file of AVCHD footage in Vegas Pro 12 to a DVD Architect-friendly file or an MP4 file using GPU Acceleration with my NVidia GeForce GTX980, the video will stop rendering at some point in the video, at a black screen. There's nothing wrong with my card, it's brand new. In fact Vegas used to do this with my old card as well, a GTX280. Does anyone know if I need any special settings or something in order to make GPU acceleration work properly?

Thanks,
Ryan Graves
Seattle Wedding Videography
Wedding Video | Seattle, WA Wedding Videographer (http://www.seattleweddingvideography.com)

Jeff Harper
May 28th, 2015, 04:21 PM
The only solution I know of is to turn off GPU acceleration. Has always been a useless feature for me, never worked with my PC configuration.

Ryan Graves
May 28th, 2015, 04:31 PM
MAN that's frustrating! Really??? This has been th same case with Pro 11, Pro 12, and now Pro 13. Can't believe that they haven't fixed this yet. My GPU renders LIGHTNING quick when it's on...but it just always stops at some point in the render at a black screen, saying 0% rendered, and I have to try it again and hope for the best. The alternative is using my i7 chip which is fine, but it hogs my whole computer in the meanwhile.

Bruce Phung
May 29th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Can't help the op but I want to share. I have no issue with 11, 12 and now 13. Any one of you still remember the Sony Release Project Benchmark. A lot layers and heavily FX and a lot of video tracks. This benchmark will test how well your system perform. Here is my sample.

https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos

Bruce Phung
May 29th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Another issue I was having, but have now resolved, was a problem with the border plug-in. The border was not binding correctly to the floating event (would only bind to top and bottom, but would default on the sides, leaving a transparent area on either side).

Upon disabling GPU acceleration, that issue is resovled, somehow.

My main computer specs are:
Windows 7 64bit
Six-core i7-3930K @3.20GHz
10gb memory
Nvidia GeForce GT 530

Most likely is your GT530 video card and driver gave you the problem. My first system is a 3930K running @5.0Ghz and I run 2X HD6970 video cards and it freaking awesome with Vegas also.

Ryan Graves
May 29th, 2015, 11:37 AM
I don't know that one, not familiar with it. Still curious if anyone else on here has had issues and eventual success rendering with GPU acceleration in Vegas Pro 13 and if so what they did to get it working correctly.

Thanks,
Ryan Graves
Wedding Video | Seattle, WA Wedding Videographer (http://www.seattleweddingvideography.com)

Andy Smith
May 31st, 2015, 09:24 AM
I think Vegas does not work reliably with GPU renering. I have tried it a few times and it is unreliable, working for a while and then suddenly crashing or failing a project render partway through. No problems when running CPU only. In fact timing some render with GPU on does not really improve the render time that much. Best turn it off until Sony fix it reliably.

Ryan Graves
May 31st, 2015, 09:33 AM
Yeah you're right...but that's the point is that's the only thing we can do for right now. I'm on this forum because I sure wish it could be resolved, haha. I did post a support request to Sony Creative Software to, to see. I've found, however - as my only point of differing with you - that GPU acceleration *dramatically* decreases render time on my tower, which is a liquid-cooled i7 tower with 12GB of RAM. It's a BEAST. And it does well.......until, well..........it stops doing well. Hmmmpphhht!! Oh well. Come on, Sony!!!

Thanks,
Ryan Graves
Wedding Video | Seattle, WA Wedding Videographer

Jeff Harper
June 4th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Ryan, what is your CPU and clock speed? My recollection is that the slower the CPU the more GPU helps some people, that the difference becomes more noticeable.

Ryan Graves
June 4th, 2015, 10:12 AM
CPU is i7 and I'm unsure of the clock speed...GTX980 is 3.33 GHz. It's plenty fast. And that's not the impression I've ever gotten...my impression is that its either one or the other when it comes time to render. So it would either use the i7 or my NVidia GeForce GTX 980. The i7 *always* works; the GTX980 (GPU Acceleration) works maybe one out of 20 times.

Thanks Jeff!

Sincerely,
Ryan Graves

Steven Davis
June 12th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Well Gees Louise as we say in the south.

I almost went from 10 to 13 today because 10 doesn't have the current preformated render formats.. But after reading this, I'm going to give it some more thought. Seems Vegas still has some of the same issues with cpu and gpu integration. I really wanted to move from Vegas to FCPX but my Canon XF cameras have a setting in the metadata that FCPX multicam can't understand.

Do you really get more with 13 as opposed to 10? Also, I don't know if Excalibur works on 13, so I wanted to check in on that as well.

Well drat.

Mike Kujbida
June 12th, 2015, 01:39 PM
A lot of Vegas users are getting great results with the AMD R9 290x, both in playback performance and in render times. The AMD 290 and 270 are also getting good results. Not as fast as the 290X but they're less money so there are tradeoffs to be had :)

Ryan Graves
June 12th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Really Mike? I have the NVidia GeForce 980X...the AMD is better than that one?

I also talked with Vegas Support and here's what they said:

"Thank you for contacting Sony Creative Software. The AVC formats are the GPU Accelerated formats. However, it is not gaurenteed that your render speeds will go down using these formats because your CPU will determine if it needs the extra help for the GPU. If your CPU does not need the assistance, it will not share the workload. It definitely will cost more time when burning to DVD. Basically, if you render using that format, you will be rendering once to MP4, then rendering yet again in DVD Architect to MPEG-2, therefore unnecessarily increasing the amount of rendering you have to do. This will also degrade the quality of the footage."

Sincerely,
Ryan Graves

Steven Davis
June 26th, 2015, 11:30 AM
I'm running Vegas 10 and currently rendering a nested 6mbps mp4 that is 3 minutes long, and it's going to take 30 minutes to render. I downloaded the trial of 13, but I think my problem is either a bottle neck at my usb drive or the MXF files that I'm trying to render. Either way, this is crazy.

My specs are i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07ghz
12 gb of ram
and my video card is a GeForce GTX 460.

The speed at which Vegas is rendering is very frustrating. I was going to upgrade to 13, but preliminary tests don't reveal any speed changes.

Steven Davis
June 27th, 2015, 06:27 PM
Well, I give up. After being reminded that my processor is almost 9 years old, I guess it's time for a new build. This is what I have so far.

IN WIN GR one Black Black Computer Case
Item #:N82E16811108127
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$159.99
$109.99

ASUS Radeon R9 290X R9290X-DC2-4GD5 Video Card
Item #:N82E16814121922
$389.99
$299.99

COOLER MASTER RR-212E-20PK-R2 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
Item #:N82E16835103099
$34.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4-22400) Extreme Performance Memory Kit Model F4-2800C16Q-32GRK
Item #:N82E16820231824
$329.99
$289.99

Rosewill ARC M550 Continuous 550W@40 C degree Power Supply
Item #:N82E16817182298
$69.99
$59.99

ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813132516

Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 BX80648I75820K Desktop Processor
Item #: N82E16819117402
Return Policy: Replacement Only Return Policy
-$30.00 Instant
-$25.00 Combo $669.98
$614.98

Ryan Graves
September 3rd, 2015, 09:42 AM
Did you ever get this figured out? I'm STILL trying to render using GPU which goes *much* faster - but it just has a hard time completing renders sometimes, or it crashes all of Vegas. Sure wish there was a better solution because my card is definitely GPU-rendering-ready.

Sincerely,
Ryan Graves
www.seattleweddingvideography.com

Steven Davis
September 3rd, 2015, 11:16 AM
Hey Ryan,

Yes, my complete rebuild is crazy faster than my other machine. Now I can render even MXF files in just a couple of hours. It's pretty amazing how my old specs weren't bad, but over all were terrible in rendering. I did go up to 32 gigs of ram, that did make a difference. As for the overall build, I could have spent a lot more, but wanted to get this PC machine atleast for 3 more years before I'll probably switch over to FCPX hopefully.

I still get crashes, like four in a day on the same project, but I think that's just Vegas' instability as a whole.

Ryan Graves
September 3rd, 2015, 11:22 AM
That's great! Good for you. Wish I could say the same. Mine is an i7 Liquid Cooled tower with 16GB of DDR3 Ram and SSD drives, along with an NVidia GeForce GTX980. Don't know why it just doesn't do what I want! :-)

Sincerely,
Ryan Graves

Steven Davis
September 3rd, 2015, 03:28 PM
I've read a lot about how the gpu either is or is not used by Vegas depending on the type of card you have. I'm a nvidea fan, but with the Radeon because I read that some of the R9 series do well with Vegas. I spent hours reading.

I almost just bought the card to see if that was the bottleneck but did the machine instead. There is information on atleast one other forum about Radeon cards vs. Nvidea and how they are or not used by Vegas. Compatibility is the main deal. And I think there is information in the Vegas white papers on compatible cards. I know my older version of Vegas did not do gpu rendering.

It can be very frustrating trying to figure out the issue.

Ryan Graves
September 3rd, 2015, 03:41 PM
Totally! So I know you redid your system but do you have a Radeon card or an Nvidia now? I wonder if I should have gotten the Radeon...

Sincerely,
Ryan Graves

Steven Davis
September 3rd, 2015, 03:53 PM
I bought this one. ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 270X R9270X-DC2T-2GD5 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card - Newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121802)

Ryan Graves
September 3rd, 2015, 03:55 PM
Well if that definitely renders faithfully, every time (or at least 99% of the time) on GPU rendering, to quote Pippin: "I'm getting one."

Sincerely,
Ryan Graves