View Full Version : New Sony Pro XAVC Compact Camcorder

Andy Wilkinson
June 22nd, 2014, 05:43 AM
I see on Alister Chapman's blog that Sony have revealed what looks like a Pro version of the AX100, as yet unnamed. I'm sure Alister will let us know more soon but believe from his twitter feed that he is travelling at the moment.

Not sure if this thing will do 4K...Let's hope so!

New compact XDCAM camcorder in development. | XDCAM-USER.COM (http://www.xdcam-user.com/2014/06/new-compact-xdcam-camcorder-in-development/)

Ken Ross
June 22nd, 2014, 09:08 AM
Does not look like it's 4K from what I've heard, unfortunately.

Andy Wilkinson
June 22nd, 2014, 01:04 PM
Yes, you may well be right Ken. I was suspicious when I saw XDCAM on the side and not a 4K moninca...

Maybe Sony are holding the 4K version of this sized cam back until the next round. All to do with marketing, launch cycles and product segmentation/protection, no doubt.

Come on Sony, we know you can do it if you really wanted too....after all it LOOKS like an AX100 with a XLR handle, at least from the outside in those pictures ;-)

Dave Blackhurst
June 22nd, 2014, 02:46 PM
Sony likely is carefully monitoring how the AX100 has gone over. While there are some who have figured out how to get good results and love the camera, there's also been some nearly hysterical negative reaction.

We are in a time where the loud screaming voices of a few dictate what the rest of us have to live with. It would not surprise me if that were the case here. It would be a shame if Sony backs away from the bleeding edge, but they seem to be proceeding very cautiously!

Learning how to get best results out of the AX100 does require a step or two back, and figuring out he manual controls - probably not for everyone, but a fine camera for anyone willing to take the time and make the effort! I should think that a "professional" version would be a good addition to the XDCAM lineup.

Glen Vandermolen
June 22nd, 2014, 09:53 PM
It has the XAVC 50mb, 10-bit 4:2:2 codec, and it seems to record to SDXC cards. Is that a first for a Sony camera?
I like the SDI port.
Isn't Sony going to stop production of the PMW-100? Is this the replacement?

Ron Evans
June 23rd, 2014, 12:11 AM
Just like the X180 is a replacement for the NX5U AND the PMW150/160 I think this is the replacement for the NX30U AND the PMW100 and may have all the recording options that are on the X180 and X160. The 4K version will be the addition to the FDR-AX1 and the Z100 family and may have to wait for next generation parts to avoid the fan.

Ron Evans

Alister Chapman
June 23rd, 2014, 09:42 PM
Almost certainly HD only as the zoom is labelled as 24x, which is the HD spec for the CX900.

PXW-X160/X180 can also record at up to 50Mbps to SDXC, so these cameras can do XDCAM HD422 to SDXC. Don't know whether the new small cam will have the Mpeg2 codec.

Ken Ross
June 24th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Sony likely is carefully monitoring how the AX100 has gone over. While there are some who have figured out how to get good results and love the camera, there's also been some nearly hysterical negative reaction.

Dave, what I've noticed on an almost consistent basis, is the 'hysteria' comes from non-owners. I can't recall one owner who was so unhappy with the camera.

I think owners have given it a very enthusiastic response (as have reviewers), so I sincerely doubt that Sony would hold up 4K on this new camera, on the basis of these few, griping, non-owners. Even among the non-owners, the unhappiness generally stems from the lack of 4K @60p.

Even from the standpoint of getting great results from the AX100, it really doesn't take a high skill set. Learning just a few manual controls gets you off & running.

Ken Ross
June 24th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Just like the X180 is a replacement for the NX5U AND the PMW150/160 I think this is the replacement for the NX30U AND the PMW100 and may have all the recording options that are on the X180 and X160. The 4K version will be the addition to the FDR-AX1 and the Z100 family and may have to wait for next generation parts to avoid the fan.

Ron Evans

I agree. I think this is Sony's thinking.

Andy Wilkinson
July 29th, 2014, 01:48 AM
Some new info here. It will be 4K capable.

Sony Launches Compact PXW-X70 XDCAM | Video & Filmmaker magazineVideo & Filmmaker magazine (http://videoandfilmmaker.com/wp/index.php/new-gear/sony-launches-compact-pxw-x70-xdcam/)

UPDATE: I suggest we continue the discussion on the thread below (where I've also just posted the official Sony UK press release)

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/524300-sony-pxw-x70-announced-pro-xdcam-version-ax100.html