View Full Version : Ready for some Macro Fun

Michael Spanheimer
July 1st, 2014, 06:37 AM
Reanimating my dadīs Vivitar Series One... Insects behold... the Observer is coming.

BTW: Which is the max. Weight that you can attach to the EA50 body before you need
some additions??

Chris Harding
July 1st, 2014, 07:57 AM
That's cool Michael!!

I really have no idea about lens maximum weight ...My Sigma 18-35 F1.8 weighs nearly 1kg and doesn't seem to cause a problem. If you are using REALLY huge lenses like 800mm telephoto for wildlife then I would maybe invest in a rail system under the camera and then have a support under the lens barrel ..most lenses that need support will have a screw thread or bracket under the lens to help support it.

What adapter did you use for the Vintage lens??

Chris

Michael Spanheimer
July 1st, 2014, 08:09 AM
Well the Vivitar is my biggest - its 70-210 (f3,5)
The weight is about 1kg too. So my tripod is much too weak
anyway for serious work with this. This is an important thing on my list...

The adapter is a very cheap one...
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008H2HXUS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I was looking at the Quenox focal reducer (159 €) maybe heading for something like that too,
cos i have 5 MD lenses around.

....just got my 6th MD on ebay today... a 135mm 2.8 - hope it will be fun...

Chris Harding
July 1st, 2014, 07:05 PM
Hi Michael

I am a special fan of Minolta and Konica glass..I used to have Konica Minolta Dimage Hi7 cameras for weddings and the lenses on those even though they were just fancy point and shoot cameras had the best glass I have ever used!!!

They are FF lenses so they should also work well with a speed booster. Just be careful that you don't ruin the image from the stunning Minolta glass by going thru a cheap speed booster!!

Chris

Michael Spanheimer
July 2nd, 2014, 03:55 AM
Hi Chris

Thatīs true...had this issue on my EOS550D wich needs a adapter with extra glass for the MD Lenses.
Not the best choice what i bought there... At least the EA50 dont need glass adapters to attach the lenses in a simple way...
The Quenox MD->NEX focal reducer costs less than half of the Metabones...
If someone has experience with these....please feedback

Chris Harding
July 2nd, 2014, 04:58 AM
Hi Michael

Just be careful with the cheaper focal reducers ..a lot were reported to put a blue spot on the image when shooting into the light. Just remember than you need a FF lens to use the reducer so all your MD mounts will work well!! I haven't bought one yet for this reason as 7 of my 8 lenses are only APSC so I could only use the Tamron 28-75 on a speed booster or have to do like Randy and digitally zoom to get rid of the vignetting so you end up with a softer image.

So far my F2.8 constant zooms are no problem at weddings in Churches at all as zoomed up to 75mm my stock lens shuts down to F5.0 whilst the Tamron is still at F2.8

Does anyone make a speed booster for APSC lens I wonder ???

Chris

Michael Spanheimer
July 3rd, 2014, 09:28 AM
Does anyone make a speed booster for APSC lens I wonder ???

Chris

Would that work??? Doesnt make sense technically or am i wrong?

Marlon Martins
July 3rd, 2014, 01:47 PM
a "APS-C" lens is already "boosted" (at least, it should)

but manufacturers do not care about APS-C cameras i believe. they only make "top" lenses for full-frame and cheaper ones for crop. the sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 is the first that take advantage of smaller sensor, it "concentrate the light" to gain the "extra stop" and make a f/1.8

cause "technically", if they can make a 24-70mm f/2.8 for full-frame, they can make a 24-70mm f2.0 for APS-C. but they "just don't do"

Chris Harding
July 3rd, 2014, 06:56 PM
You can of course put an APSC lens on a speed booster and it will drop a stop. However it will also vignette as Randy has mentioned. The only reason I never even looked into getting a speed booster is that all my Nikon lenses (except one) are APSC

Obviously if I had a bunch of Canon L lenses my first purchase would have been a speed booster.

It's definitely worth getting one if you are a 35mm vintage lens collector as most will work perfectly and the glass on average is brilliant!

Chris

Michael Spanheimer
July 7th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Here is one of the shots i took.
That was done in PP6 and no grading etc.

Bee Borage - Sony NEX EA50 Vivitar Series One - YouTube

Chris Harding
July 7th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Nice lens Michael

I must play around in our garden too. Despite being Winter, our flowers are in full bloom and the bees are busy too! I took a few stills with my Tamron 28-75 but that was on a Nikon body..never thought about the Sony.

Chris