View Full Version : 5DtoRGB, still interlaced?

Andrew Maclaurin
July 19th, 2014, 03:58 AM
I just put my first footage through 5DtoRGB after reading recommendations by Matt Davis and others. It seems to work quite well and is a lot faster than I thought it would be.
I only have one important doubt. I selected progressive in the transcode but when I look at the resulting prores footage I can see the jaggy interlaced lines. The main reason I bought 5DtoRGB was to avoid FCPX's incredibly buggy interpret footage option when using footage from my C100.
Am I doing something wrong? I have only view the converted footage in QT but the jaggy lines are very obvious.
Help!

Matt Davis
July 21st, 2014, 12:22 AM
Hmm - I have to ask the 'bleedin' obvious' question - was it interlaced footage to start off with?

I think I'd better prepare a 'Clarify-it' document to walk folks through the steps. I'll also check through 23.94, 25 and 29.97. As a PAL-lander, it's easy to forget the challenges our 23.94 and 29.97 users face. LOL

Andrew Maclaurin
July 21st, 2014, 01:09 AM
Hi Matt,
thanks for replying!
it's Canon C100 25 frames psf footage.

Andrew Maclaurin
July 21st, 2014, 04:48 AM
I shoot in either 25psf or 50i on my Canon C100. I was trying to convert/transcode my original footage to prores422 25p (in this case it was originally 25psf) so that I can either hand it to a client all ready to go (I don't want my clients having to deal with all the nonsense modern HD cameras require to work flawlessly across editing platforms/generations! I mean transcoding etc!), or I can bring it into FCPX or AE with out facing the problems of turning every clip to progressive. I have become very bored of how buggy FCPX is when trying to convince it to make progressive stick.
Any help would be great!

Gary Huff
July 21st, 2014, 07:11 AM
Use ClipWrap instead.

Andrew Maclaurin
July 21st, 2014, 07:21 AM
Gary,
why do you recommend Clipwrap? I believed 5DtoRGB had a small advantage, it corrects the interlaced chroma subsampling,
C100 Chroma Subsampling – the fix | Travelling Matt (http://mattdavis.pro/2014/01/06/c100-interlaced-chroma-the-fix/)

Have you used both?