View Full Version : 3 / 4 LED Kit suggestions

Silas Barker
July 19th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about replacing my old Britek kit with some new LED lights. Right now I have 2 300 / 600 watt lamps with softboxes and 1 1000 watt lamp. I mainly set up interviews and some sets for films / music videos.

I would rather have about 4 500 watt equivalent LED light set ups with too soft boxes.

Any suggestions? I am hoping to spend under $1000. I already have light stands that are good.

Thanks!

Craig Chartier
July 22nd, 2014, 05:08 PM
F&V make a nice 3 panel daylight only kit for right at $1,050.00 comes with a nice case.
K4000 kit

Silas Barker
July 23rd, 2014, 11:55 AM
Sounds great!

I am new to LED lights, does the daylight color tempeature change things much from the 3200 one?

Also, are the LED lights pretty durable?

Thanks!
Found them on Amazon here: This the same as your talking about right?
http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-K4000-Daylight-Studio-Panel/dp/B00HHLC7UQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Silas Barker
July 23rd, 2014, 12:06 PM
ALSO - how does the light output compare from LED lights compared to say a 600 watt lamp?

AND - Is there a similar model with barn doors?

Silas Barker
July 23rd, 2014, 02:35 PM
Also, saw these lights, a bit more but has barn doors.

Any recommendations or thoughts?

ikan IB500 Dual-Color LED Studio Light IB500 B&H Photo Video

Arthur Gannis
July 27th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I really don't think that light is anywhere near a 500 watt bulb. I would estimate (at a 36 watt draw according to their specs) that the leds would see about 30 watts due to wiring/driver loss and as leds go with their lumen per watt ratings, at the very most that light may deliver around 3000 lumens which is about a 200 watt filament.

Silas Barker
July 27th, 2014, 12:06 PM
What would you recommend for an Led light kit then?

Found an ikan daylight only light that has 5602 Lux

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/968565-REG/ikan_ifd576_s_featherweight_daylight_led.html

Need to purchase in next day or so........

Arthur Gannis
July 28th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Lux and lumens are 2 different ways of measuring light. A lux number is meaningless without angle and distance in the equation. Lumens is the radiated light value without regard to distance or beam angle.
A light can have a huge lux value of well over 10,000 BUT if that is a very narrow beam, it can possibly be a $10 led flashlight.A 100 watt common kitchen light bulb radiates about 1700 lumens in ALL directions BUT only has a very low lux value at 6 ft. distance. Easy to throw large numbers around without regard to distance and beam angle.A true 500 w filament equivalent should have about 8,500 lumens.
Here is a handy lumen to lux. lux to lumen calculator.

LedRise - Lumen / Lux Calculator (http://www.ledrise.com/shop_content.php?coID=19)

Arthur Gannis
July 28th, 2014, 04:41 PM
That 5602 lux is given at 3 ft. distance. At what beam angle would that be ??
Impossible to calculate the lumen value without it.
So, .....it consumes 42 watts. So that 42 watt consumption with the usual 10% wiring and driver loss makes it a bout 38 watts going to the leds which makes it about 3200 lumens which makes it about a 200 watt light bulb equivalent.
A very rough rule of thumb is that if a led light consumes 50 watts it is equivalent to around 5X that value to a bulb. a 100 watt led light consumption is like a 500 watt and a 200 watt led light consumption is like a 1000 or 1K light filament equivalent. 5 to 1 ratio , roughly.6 to 1 if you want to stretch it a bit.

Craig Chartier
August 11th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I personally always pull out a light meter and take a foot candle reading for each fixture from about 5ft and 10ft out. I also will pull out a color temp meter and do a correction calculation before making a foot candle reading. Poor LED's will often need several layers of gel for correction. this will also lower the light output.

flood and spot fixtures will also have different levels of output, also Bi-color fixtures will have less light output then their daylight only models.

Just off the top of my head:
a Limelight 1x1 daylight flood panel has around 50 foot candles at 10ft away from fixture
a F&V daylight flood panel has about 18 foot candles at 10ft away from the fixture
a basic Lowel 500 watt open fixture (like a tota ) has about 28 foot candles at 10.

Barn doors on panel LEDs are usually useless for controlling light spill, since every LED lamp is a light source and will cast a shadow. So you get a weird checkered multi-shadow event on any wall the light hits. Barn doors are nice to have if you want to add gells, since you can just c-47 sheets in front of the fixture.