View Full Version : Adobe Encore DVD playing too fast?

James Stevens
August 4th, 2014, 05:56 AM
Hi there, I am having a hard time with a DVD I am authoring in Encore cs6. When I play back the DVD, it seems as though the frame rate is slightly too high, everything has a slightly sped up feel (not in the audio, just in the motion)

I am exporting from Premiere CS6 using the MPEG2-DVD presets, everything set to match source attributes. The footage is 25fps progressive, and that is how the file is exported. When I import it into Encore it also says it is 25fps, and the export settings are all set to that too. I export my file in such a way that Encore doesnt have to re-transcode it, because that makes my exports look terrible as something in the transcoding settings seem to take it from progressive to interlaced, so Encore shouldnt be doing any re-encoding on the file.

A couple of oddities I have noticed, however, are that if my project is say, 14 minutes long in Premiere, when I export the files, the m2v will be 14 minutes, but the accompanying .wav file is 19 minutes or more. This happens for all my projects, not just this one, although I never noticed it before. I also found that if I play back my video file in Windows Media Player, its a good minute or two shorter than the file in Premiere. If I re-import the MPEG file into Premiere and overlay on top of my original footage, its perfectly in sync, so the exported file is at the correct frame rate, so I am assuming something is screwing up at Encore level...? Any ideas?? Thanks guys!

Jeff Pulera
August 4th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Hi James,

Very bizarre. First step would be to make certain that the Premiere Sequence matches the source footage you are editing. Then when exporting, don't use "Match Attributes" - rather, choose an appropriate PAL Progressive preset for "MPEG-2 DVD".

Thank you

James Stevens
August 4th, 2014, 08:59 AM
When I create a new project I always create the timeline directly from the clip so the settings should be perfect. I make DVDs quite often using the same settings and never noticed this speed issue before. Another oddity I noticed is that when exporting to the MPEG2_DVD preset, there are black bars on the left and right of the image, it doesnt fill the frame perfectly like it does when I export to a mp4 file, dont know if that has anything to do with anything..?

Ann Bens
August 5th, 2014, 03:55 PM
DVD widescreen is not perfect 16:9, hence the black bars.
You can make them disappear by selecting fill to fill in the output tab of the export settings.
I would not use match source settings either but a preset instead.