View Full Version : Best b-camera for C100

Jody Arnott
August 30th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a C100, and I'm looking for an inexpensive b-camera (possibly a Canon DSLR) to use for interviews.

So I'm just wondering what cameras people use, and what best matches the C100 without the need for heavy colour correction. I've heard that the Canon 70D can work well, but other ideas would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Gary Huff
August 30th, 2014, 10:14 PM
I am very happy with my GH4 as a B-camera, especially as it looks very similar in resolved detail when shooting in 4K and downrezzing to 1080 in post. The colors are different, but you can get pretty close to them and I routinely use the GH4 in two-camera shoots with the C100.

Working in the Lync Practice at Avanade - YouTube

Jody Arnott
August 31st, 2014, 01:59 AM
Thanks Gary.

I'd prefer something with an EF mount if possible, I have Canon lenses so it keeps things simple.

At the moment I'm tossing up between the 700D and 70D, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Noa Put
August 31st, 2014, 02:48 AM
From what I understood you can have a ef to mft adapter now with full communication between body and lens if you would choose to go the panasonic route: Metabones® (http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-m43-BM1)

Dave Partington
August 31st, 2014, 04:54 AM
Jody, this is not aimed at you but it always amazes me how many people spend quite a bit of money on a good camera, then want a cheap camera to go with it that looks just as good. Why then didn't they just buy such a cheap camera int he first place, in fact buy two ;)

I have a C100 & GH4. I use an EF to M43 adapter on the GH4 so I can also use my Canon glass there too.

But be warned, the lure of 4K is dangerous. Now I have the GH4 my C100 isn't getting half as much use because I shot the last 4 interviews with only the GH4 (reasonably wide) then zoom in post. Now I don't need two cameras, I only need one. Hmmm.....

Jody Arnott
August 31st, 2014, 05:20 AM
Jody, this is not aimed at you but it always amazes me how many people spend quite a bit of money on a good camera, then want a cheap camera to go with it that looks just as good. Why then didn't they just buy such a cheap camera int he first place, in fact buy two ;)

I have a C100 & GH4. I use an EF to M43 adapter on the GH4 so I can also use my Canon glass there too.

But be warned, the lure of 4K is dangerous. Now I have the GH4 my C100 isn't getting half as much use because I shot the last 4 interviews with only the GH4 (reasonably wide) then zoom in post. Now I don't need two cameras, I only need one. Hmmm.....

Dave, I see what you're saying, but unfortunately I just don't have the budget to buy a 2nd C100, or anything quite as expensive.

I don't do a lot of multi-cam work, so it really isn't worthwhile spending a lot of money on a b-cam at this point. The b-cam would just be for the occasional interview.

In saying that, I think I should be able to get something decent for around $1200-1500 US, maybe? The GH4 is indeed tempting, but maybe a little out of the price range, especially when the adapter is also required.

Gary Huff
August 31st, 2014, 06:37 AM
It sounds like your budget is going to limit you to a Canon body, so I would suggest the 70D. You'll need to play with the settings to get an appreciable match to the C100, and the footage will be decidedly softer than the C100, but with some judicious application of post sharpening and doing some tests, I think you could get it to where only the people who use this day in and out can see it (I can easily spot the DSLR footage over the C-series footage).

Stefan Gill
August 31st, 2014, 07:49 AM
Using C100 for weddings, second cameraman uses 70d and I have 5diii on slider for specialty shots, in post I correct the SLR to match the C100, it's not the same, in some instances (low light church vs. outdoor sunny ceremony) you can see a larger difference than others.

Ideally you would like to have another C100 to correctly match the two main cameras but if budget is an issue the 70d and even 7d is suitable with some extra time in post.

Dave Partington
August 31st, 2014, 10:51 AM
The GH4 is indeed tempting, but maybe a little out of the price range, especially when the adapter is also required.

The adapter is use is a passive one and cost me about $12 from ebay. Works a treat.

If you choose to go with a Canon DSLR as a B-Cam then the easiest way to make them match is to add a slight blur to the C100 footage. I'm serious, not kidding!

Jody Arnott
August 31st, 2014, 08:02 PM
The adapter is use is a passive one and cost me about $12 from ebay. Works a treat.

If you choose to go with a Canon DSLR as a B-Cam then the easiest way to make them match is to add a slight blur to the C100 footage. I'm serious, not kidding!

Thanks Dave. How do the passive adapters work in terms of adjusting the iris?

Gary Huff
August 31st, 2014, 08:56 PM
Passive adapters do not control iris.

Dave Partington
September 1st, 2014, 11:20 AM

They don't, but then I mostly use them with Samyang primes (which have built in aperture / iris control) or I am shooting wide open for a reason.

I will pick up a metabones adapter when the next batch becomes available as well as some more native mft lenses.

Robert Benda
September 1st, 2014, 11:37 AM
The main feature of the 70D was the video auto focus. So far, the only lens we've had that did it smoothly and quietly is the kit STM 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, though I haven't had access to any L series lenses to test with it.

There is no magic lantern development for it, either, limiting some of the other cool things you can do with a DSLR. It's also a little annoying that it's 3 buttons to get to the Kelvin adjustment for white balance.

I think I'd favor a gently used 5d Mark ii, maybe, if no flip out screen isn't an issue. About the same price, full frame, and stable magic lantern.

Drew Curran
September 3rd, 2014, 01:59 PM

What he said. The Gh4 is getting a lot more use here. I now have a £4000 C100 sound recorder. Lol

Drew Curran
September 3rd, 2014, 02:05 PM
Hi Jody
I use a Tiffen VariND to control light with my EF lenses on my Gh4. Like Dave I have a passive EF to M43 adaptor.

The just released Metabones Speedbooster active EF to m43 adaptor will provide iris adjustment for EF lenses.

I shoot a lot of 2 camera interviews with the C100 and the GH4 and with some tweaking to the Gh4 settings I have managed to get them very close in terms of skin tones etc.

Jody Arnott
September 4th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the information guys. I'm starting to consider the GH4 now, I just wish it had an EF mount! :) It's going to get quite pricey once paired with a smart adapter.

Gary Huff
September 4th, 2014, 03:39 PM
It's going to get quite pricey once paired with a smart adapter.

Yes, but you can also think of it as moving with you for as long as you decide to stay with the m4/3 format. GH5, AF200, etc.

Eric Coughlin
September 11th, 2014, 11:05 PM
I've used the GH2 with the C100 as a b-cam for interviews and it works quite well. A little less sharp, but sharp enough to match up well, and way sharper than a 70D or 5D Mark III (I'd rather do single camera interviews than mix those mush images with C100 interview footage), and the GH2 only costs $400-450 used. Colors match up easily with tweaking in Colorista. I use a $13 Fotasy Nikon to M/43 adapter with Nikon primes such as the Nikon 55 f/2.8 ($265.00) and Nikon 105 f/2.5 ($149) which I both got used and in great condition.

In larger rooms I use the Nikon 105 f/2.5 on the GH2 for the tight and Nikon 55 f/2.8 on the C100 for the wide, and in smaller rooms the Nikon 55 f/2.8 on the GH2 for the tight and Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 on the C100 for the wide. Add in an extra battery or two and that's around $900 out the door for a b-cam for interviews. I also use the GH2 a lot for weddings and other event shooting.

Interviews you also generally have time to set up for (and mine generally aren't in changing light conditions), so you could also use a non-powered $13 Canon EF to M/43 adapter to use your Canon lenses and change the aperture with the C100 before putting it on the GH camera.

Here are a couple videos I did where you can see the C100 as an A-cam and GH2 as a B-cam for interviews.

Seton Home Study School - Catholic Homeschooling on Vimeo

Shakespeare in Performance - An Original Practice at Ave Maria University on Vimeo

In the first video, I switched them out sometimes using the GH2 as the wide and other times as the tight, but after editing the video, I found that the GH2 holds less detail on wides and works better as the tight shot, so in the second video I always used the GH2 as the tight and the C100 as the wide. Both those videos are on Vimeo at 1080p, so should show the resolution well. I don't use any hack on the GH2.

I was pretty happy with it, though I did recently buy a second C100 as my b-cam, so yeah. I still use the GH2 as a c-cam, and I also own a Canon 60D, which I rarely use for video now, and mostly for stills.

Al Bergstein
September 13th, 2014, 12:38 AM
I've had good luck matching my C100 with my 5D mkiii. Especially white balance before hand, and watch the waveform monitors (I use a Ninja on the 5D when trying to match). It's been interesting how much closer I'm able to get with the Ninja. It really helps my exposure with the external monitor and the waveforms on it. Given that, a 7D or more more modern model might work. I had a 7D and did not think the video quality was even close to a 5D. Way more macro blocking evidence. I recently bought a ninja for the 5D, and will be using it tomorrow for a shoot. I ought to be able to report back on how that matched. my first inclination though was that the Ninja, beyond being a great monitor and waveform, did not give me noticeably better quality images. Maybe if I was working with green screen I'd see a better look.

Darren Levine
September 13th, 2014, 09:24 AM
i've been happy with the rx10 as a bcam to the c100, it's got the sharpness to match and cuts quite well with the right profiling

Jody Arnott
September 13th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Thanks all. Lots of interesting suggestions here. The RX10 looks like a great camera, although the fixed lens puts me off. I think I'm still leaning towards the GH4 at this point.

Jody Arnott
September 14th, 2014, 09:45 PM
This is probably a long shot, but has anyone managed to match a Sony NEX-EA50 to their C100?

Michael Thames
September 22nd, 2014, 03:43 PM

To be honest the GH4 is a cheap camera! What are you talking about? Your hypocrisy knows no bounds!

Jody Arnott
September 22nd, 2014, 04:31 PM
I suppose "cheap" and "expensive" are relative terms.

Michael Thames
September 23rd, 2014, 07:28 AM
Well it didn't seem relative in the context of your post. The C100 is $4500 and the GH4 is $1600. The GH4 is cheaper than the C100 by a long shot.

Dave Partington
September 23rd, 2014, 11:02 AM
Well it didn't seem relative in the context of your post. The C100 is $4500 and the GH4 is $1600. The GH4 is cheaper than the C100 by a long shot.

Yes, the GH4 is cheap to buy as a body only, but by the time you add lenses it's not $1600 anymore (nor is the C100 $4500 either, I understand that).

But I see a lot of people buying a decent camera then go looking for $500-$1000 solutions to be "a good match for" their expensive camera.

What I was trying to say was that if the $500-$1000 camera is 'good enough' to use for shots you actually want to cut to in the interview then why wouldn't you just have bought two of the $500 cameras in the first place?

Cameras like the GH4 and even the new LX100 are going to change the face of local video production due to size, weight and price. The more I use the GH4 the more I'm impressed with it and honestly my C100 is getting used less and less. In fact, the C100 is fast becoming my B-Camera for interviews where I really want an alternative angle, with the GH4 being the A-Cam giving me both wide and close from the same angle.

Michael Thames
September 23rd, 2014, 02:02 PM
Actually yer right. By the time you get the XLR thing a speed booster, and some decent lens your paying more than the C100 for us Canon guys with an assortment of excellent glass.

I've tried and tried to fall in love with the GH4 image.... but something leaves me a little cold. Of course 99 percent of the viewing public won't notice..... and they won't notice the 4k super sharp image either.

Kevin McRoberts
September 24th, 2014, 02:08 PM
While ideally we could all buy 2-3 of whatever camera we prefer, a smaller and less expensive B-cam makes plenty of sense for many many users. Really, only one camera might need integrated NDs and XLRs and other such conveniences... a simple 'sensor/recorder in a box' might be all that's needed for the alternate angles, and take up a lot less space in the travel case.

To that end, you don't need the YAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHH!!!!!!!! to get XLR on the GH4... a simple Beachtek adapter or the like does nicely for a lot cheaper. The YAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! only really seems to make sense if you need SDI out. In a B-cam role, one wouldn't even need that much. Ditto all that for a slightly more expensive camera like the Sony A7S. Both can easily use Canon glass (via boosted or unboosted Metabones adapters) if that's the owner's thing, and also give the professional flexibility of stills ability. The GH4 seems to have an edge if battery life and 4K flexibility are most important, the A7S if low-light sensitivity and wide angle fields of view are most important.

C100 poorly shot is just as capable of looking as crappy as a GH4/A7S poorly shot, and all are capable of looking very good. I've seen more than a few examples where people have matched the look of all those cameras... the tools all just seem to work together better now than they once did.

Michael Thames
September 24th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Just a quick word of warning, I bought a simple Beachtek XLR adaptor and sold it on ebay a few days later..... those things go through 9v batteries like crazy!

Erick Munari
September 25th, 2014, 06:29 AM
I own a C100 and just bought a BMPCC while it was on sale for half price. I do not know how well they will match up, I'll post my impressions once I test it out.

Wayne Avanson
September 25th, 2014, 08:15 AM
What he said. The Gh4 is getting a lot more use here. I now have a £4000 C100 sound recorder. Lol

Snap.

The C100 and GH4 have a roughly similar look I find but I wouldn't dump the C100s yet.

Michael Thames
September 25th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Hey, my friend came by the other day with his GH4.......which was shot with the 5d3 and which was shot with the GH4? Main camera or the side shot?

Rafa Elizondo, Dionisio Aguado- Andante and Rondo, Op.2, No.2 - YouTube

Kevin McRoberts
September 25th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Love it... even though just watching it makes my arthritis flare up

Guessing wide shot is 5D3, but I'm not certain... you all managed to match them very well

Dave Partington
September 25th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Hey, my friend came by the other day with his GH4.......which was shot with the 5d3 and which was shot with the GH4? Main camera or the side shot?

Rafa Elizondo, Dionisio Aguado- Andante and Rondo, Op.2, No.2 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo7gTUdbYLs)

It's almost always easier to dumb down a sharp camera to look like a less sharp camera than the other way around. Much also depends on the glass you're using on each camera.

I can make the C100 look like a handycam if I want, but making the handycam look like a C100 is not so easy :)

Great guitar playing BTW.

Jody Arnott
September 25th, 2014, 06:29 PM

I would guess the GH4 is the wide shot.. but it's very hard to tell. The side shot looks a bit softer to me.

Wayne Avanson
October 1st, 2014, 03:36 PM
Wide shot GH4 and side shot 5D3. Good matching. better than I've managed.

Doug Thompson
October 2nd, 2014, 01:39 AM
For two camera shoots, I use my C100 and record ProRes on a Ninja Star and use my 5DMKIII and record in ProRes on a Ninja 2. I've found good results in matching footage with this setup. The 5DMKIII is good for wide-angle use too.

Al Bergstein
October 2nd, 2014, 09:22 AM
The nice thing about the match shot of the classical guitarist is that the blues in the shirt match up pretty well. as do the flesh tones. I don't think anyone not a video person would notice any difference at all. It does point out that good theatrical lighting, probably white balancing both cameras before shooting, and paying attention in post is going to give you a very close match. I've found the same true when using the 5D Mkiii with the C100. It really depends on paying attention. I can screw up the matching as easily as not if I don't get things just so. Ultimately, not being able to have the same camera is a crap shoot based on lighting control, and careful planning. Just get into a place with fluorescents and watch the reds go crazy in both cameras!

Jason Rae
November 29th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I am by now way an expert but I have two c100s and a GH4 with the 12-35 lens and getting the Gh4 was a huge help. I had one C100 and tried the whole 70d as a b cam thing and it was a nightmare for me. For more experienced people it might not but you have to realize that its a huge drop in image quality from the c100 to the 70d I don't care what you do with the color.

So I sold that right away and got the GH4. So then I had one C100 and a GH4 which worked out great. The Gh4 image quality is great and when you down scale 4k its on par with the C100. With the lens it was 2600 for me total cost and I haven't added anything else to it. Then comes low light and out goes the GH4 unless you want to invest even more into MFT lenses or a speed booster. Don't get me wrong I love the little camera but only use it it really well lit situations. For me it was just easier to get a second C100. By the time you get all these lenses and attachments you need its not a 1600 dollar camera anymore. Also don't discount what your time is worth, by the time you match all these b roll to your main you could have shot more videos and made more money. Time is Money.

So now my workflow is crazy easy, two C100s and I don't have to match anything and I can edit in half the time and shoot more videos which makes more money.

Just my two cents because I was just going through all this with these cameras. And again I am not a expert in anyway so take this with a grain of salt. :)

PS. I kept the gh4 because its amazing little run and gun type camera and we use it all the time :)