View Full Version : First photos of the FireStore FS-100 for DVCPRO HD

Chris Hurd
October 9th, 2005, 12:07 PM
See http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=30

Will try to get some descriptions in there a little bit later. This one is just a mock-up, it's actually a working FS-4 dressed up to appear like the FS-100 will, when it's released next year. For more info on the FS-100, see the press release (and ensuing discussion) located at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=50832

Kevin Dooley
October 9th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I'm sure someone somewhere has probably mentioned this, but does the HVX200 have a 4 pin or 6 pin firewire port? I noticed the Firestore had 6 pin and I just thought it would be nice if both had the 6 pin, as I think the 6 pin connector is a little more stable (not as easy to pull out...)

Peter Richardson
October 9th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Wow, it's big...unfortunate. I was hoping for something a little closer to iPod size. Will FIrestore be selling any sort of mouting system so that the FS100 can be attached directly to the camera?
Peter

Alex Leith
October 9th, 2005, 01:51 PM
I think you'd be better off belt mounting that monster. I imagine it's got at least two HDs inside RAIDed together. Add cooling and I imagine you won't want to have this mounted to close to any microphones!

Chris Hurd
October 9th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I think you'd be better off belt mounting that monster.It's the exact same dimensions of the FS-4. That's the *smallest* sized FireStore available. If you guys think this thing is big, you should have seen the FS-3.

Alex Leith
October 9th, 2005, 02:15 PM
It's the exact same dimensions of the FS-4. That's the *smallest* sized FireStore available. If you guys think this thing is big, you should have seen the FS-3.

Hee! Hee! I've never actually seen one first hand... So I guess there is a single HD inside. Personally I'd still wear it on a belt or strapped to the tripod.

Peter Richardson
October 9th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Yeah, it's a bit of a monster--putting it on the cam would make it a pretty heavy load for a handycam. The other thing that worries me is that it's a hard drive inside...I never trust hard drives. What sort of actual drive is inside? A Hitachi? I wonder what the failure rates will be between the Firestore and the P2 cards. Maybe just better off getting the cards and the P2 store Panasonic sells. A little more $$ though.

Peter

Chris Hurd
October 9th, 2005, 04:52 PM
The point is that there are a variety of ways to record with the HVX200. Some folks will prefer the P2 cards. Others will use the FireStore. To each his (or her) own... there is no "one" way. With regard to the size and heft of the FS-100, I think it will be best suited for a shoulder support. Put the HVX200, the FS-100, and a battery to power an on-board light and the FS-100, all on one shoulder support like the VariZoom DV Rig -- problem solved.

Peter Richardson
October 9th, 2005, 06:23 PM
I certainly appreciate the variety of choices for recording with the HVX (who wouldn't). And certainly there is not one best solution for everyone. In evaluating the FS100 as one of those choices, reliability would be one of the major determining factors for me personnally (along with size, of course, which we seemed to already have addressed). To that end, is there any data, statistical or andecdotal, about the reliability of these drives? Does Firestore publish the internal specs anywhere?

Peter